Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
37 weeks and ANXIOUS!
Suchahotboxx posted:
This is my first pregnancy and it has been a ridiculously easy ride. I've had no nausea or vomiting or any other major symptoms. I always research things about pregnancy like about how Braxton Hicks contractions are supposed to feel and I think that I had them at around my 33rd week but haven't had any since. I've not had any real contractions either. I'm so ready to meet this little guy inside of me!

I went to my 37 week doctor's appointment and I was hoping they would do a pelvic exam for dilation and effacement but my doc says that they don't normally check that until 39 weeks unless there is a medical reason to do one earlier. I just wanted to have some numbers so I could just KNOW, even if I wasn't dilated or effaced at all. I've read that you could check yourself at home but I wouldn't know what I'm supposed to be feeling for! Any input on that?

My uterus has also been measuring about 2 weeks ahead for the past couple of months. At my 37 week appointment, I was measuring at 38 1/2 weeks. I've had an ultrasound at 18 weeks and at 36 weeks and I have normal amount of amniotic fluid surrounding the baby. So does measuring ahead mean that I could go into labor early?

And it doesn't matter how much I look up what contractions feel like, I never seem to be satisfied with any of the answers. "It's supposed to feel like really bad period cramps." Okay, well before I was pregnant, when I had my period, I always had excruciating period cramps, so does that mean they'll be worse? I've also read (and my doctor told me this too), "You'll just know." Sigh. Will someone please explain better?

Thank you in advance to everyone who responds! :D
-Elizabeth

onyx15 responded:
I had my first baby last year and I'm having another one this November. I know how you feel. Braxton Hicks contractions can be confusing. Even though this my 2nd pregnancy, I forgot how they felt and was wondering if the strange feeling I was having was in fact BHCs. People say that your belly gets really tight with BHCs...well for me, they feel like a heaviness in my heart / chest area. And I feel a weird discomfort like I can't breathe, and then all of a sudden it releases and I can breathe again. When I get that feeling, I poke my belly and it does feel kind of firm. BHCs don't usually hurt though. I heard that if you're in real labor, the contractions might start off weak but begin to hurt little by little until they're really close together. I was induced with my pregnancy, so I don't actually KNOW how this feels!

Also, I've read a lot of birth stories in which women wrote about measuring ahead and then going into labor before their due dates, so it's definitely a possibility. Have you ever been on this website before?

http://www.birthstories.com/

It's awesome! It has so many birth stories, I've learned so much from reading them and it's kinda fun :)

Don't worry too much about not getting "checked" right now. I wouldn't recommend checking at home...seems like that could risk infection if you don't know what you're doing. It wasn't a pleasant experience for me to get checked anyway, so you're not missing out on much. What WILL help you is WALKING. Walk a LOT. Walk around your block, or on a treadmill, just stay active and that should really help labor progress if your baby is ready.

Good luck to you!!!

Suchahotboxx replied to onyx15's response:
I don't think I've heard of that site but I'll definitely check it out! Thanks!

As for walking, I'm actually still working - and I'm a waitress. So I walk A LOT! I would have thought that walking all the time would have made baby Cameron come already but he's still in there! Haha!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have an 11 yr old son and i just gave birth 2/26/10 to my baby girl. (both were a little over 10lbs at birth) it was an amazing experience and i pos...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.