Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
rightside butt pain
malaika0082ama posted:
hi ,im abt 29 weeks pregnant , i been having some pain in my right side butt ,it only hurts when i try to stand or after laying down to move from onside tothe other or getting up off the bed ,and u cant imagine getting off the floor ,its too painful feels like someone is pulling something in my butt the other way... wanted to know has anyone felt this and what has been done abt it ,do i speak to my obgyn or my regular doctor abt this .
oh ya i had this pain for awhile but it has gotten worse ,first it started only when sleeping on one side (right side) now its either after sitting and trying to get up ,while walking or lifting my leg to get upstairs or anything in that place . im very healthy abit over weight with this pregnancy , i used to get charlie horse from week 12 to week 20 ,but it wouldnt go through i kinda learned how to hold and flex my leg when it hits ,this is my 3rd pregnancy so charlie horses r not a problem with me anymore ,the pain in the butt has been there awhile and it does go down my leg but doesnt reach the knee ,just in the thigh , i hope someone can help b4 i go to the docs office ,i was told by others that they will say my bones r lossening up and thats whats causing the pain and its normal ,but like i said this is my 3rd pregnancy and i never had this type of pain where u cant even know whats going on .anyways thank you and hope u can driect me in right way

Jacque72903 responded:
It's your sciatica. And yes it is soooo painful!! I have now had it with both pregnancies. It can go down the right or left side. Usually starts around your butt area and goes down your thigh. Try really hard to think to move or shift your weight when sitting or standing either one. If you have to be on your feet for a long time it will be worse at night. Some people say a heating pad works, but I never had any luck. Mostly just make sure you drink plenty and like I said, try to not put too much pressure in that area for long periods of time. This is just one of those preggo things we get to enjoy, you can mention it to your doc, maybe they have some kind of miracle advise you can share! lol

sweetbaby82 replied to Jacque72903's response:
I agree with pp, it sounds like sciatica. I had it in the second tri and it was horrible. Luckily it only lasted a couple weeks but I know some women have it longer. The heating pad helped me as well as resting as much as possible; the more I moved during the day the worse it was at night. My doctor also suggested chiropractor or acupuncture. I tried acupuncture once but it was already starting to go away at that point.
First Baby, Baby Boy EDD 9/18/10!!

VegetarianMama responded:
Mama to Be,

I agree with the other helpful Mamas above. I'm sorry to say it's your sciatic nerve getting pinched, a common problem in pregnancy. I am myself 27 1/2 weeks into my second pregnancy, this time time twins, and my sciatic nerve and I are very well acquainted.

My husband and I found this wonderful book called Mother Massage (link to follow) during our first pregnancy and it was a godsend. The pressure points on your foot really do work. I know how hard reaching your feet can be, so see if you can talk your Honey into a five minute massage, because if he uses the points in this book that's all it will take. Everything is connected, you just have to know where to look.

My husband also gives me a firm bum massage on occasion. Rubbing the muscles around your hip and sciatic nerve can help to ease the pain by relaxing the muscles that tighten and help to cause pressure in the sciatic.

I hope this helps, hang in there Mama. You're almost there and with a little help in the right places (love those pressure points) hopefully it will be a bit smoother ride.

My hubs still remembers the points and uses them probably once a week to help relieve sciatic pain for me. Which I have to say, at least it doesn't hurt twice as much with twice as many baby, but it still hurts quite a bit.

Good luck! Here's the link to the book on BN.com :

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Mother-Massage/Elaine-Stillerman/e/9780440507024/?itm=2&USRI=pregnancy massage

krief replied to VegetarianMama's response:
I have totally had this during both my pregnancies and also when I'm not pregnant!

Massage helps along with heating pads and warm baths. But if it gets to the point where you really cant move, find a chiropractor that specializes in pregnancy adjustments. For me, my hips get unaligned due to the loosening of ligaments so getting adjusted is the only fix. I seriously go a couple times a month towards the end of my pregnancy. Good Luck!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

when i was 19 yrs old, i found out that i was pregnant with my first child. i found out she was a girl when i was 15 wks pregnant. then 6 weeks after ...More

Helpful Tips

help
what do contractions feel like? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful