Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Great weekend...& is a "1 up shower" rude? opinons please...
KJhappymom posted:
On Saturday I was supposed to be meeting one of my sisters for lunch, she doesn't come in to town very often and is usually pretty busy as far as her schedule goes when she is. When I get to the resturaunt to meet her I was surprised by my other sister and my mom. They had got a little banquet room and put up a couple decorations and threw me a shower with just the four of us. It was really sweet. I was so surprised, I was sure that nobody would do any type of shower for me since this is DS #2, especially in my family because the same sister threw me a HUGE shower the first time. I just felt so lucky to have such a sweet family.

I also had my in laws in town over the weekend and my MIL, SIL, and niece had an awesome idea for a shower for me. Since this is DS #2 and I have sooooo many clothes for the baby for the first year they are wanting to throw me and another girl who is expecting in the family due around the same time I am a "1 up shower", the idea will be to have a shower just a few weeks after the baby is born so everyone can meet the little guy and if anyone brings a gift it they will be asked to make it for the baby to use when they are a year or older. This will be so helpful for DH and I since we just found out I won't be going back to my job, and maybe won't be working for a while. The shower will be just with DHs family since we had not met until after DS was born.

I just feel so blessed to have such thoughtful people in my life and I'm super excited about the "1 up shower". Have you ladies ever had or been to a shower similar? I hope people don't find it rude....

ingramsept responded:
I have never been to or heard of a 1 up shower, but I think it sounds like a fabulous idea. I would hope that anyone who didn't think it was neccessary would just decline the invite but other people that care about you would love the oppurtunity to get your new little one a gift. Best of luck, and you are blessed to have such thoughtful family members.
September 33, Ryan 35 and Max edd 10/2

mommy_a responded:
NOT rude! GREAT idea!!!!

mtlmayhem replied to mommy_a's response:
KJhappymom I have to agree... I may actually borrow this idea from you; minimize intruders swarming , I mean visitors wanting to visit right away (we both have large families) :-D

Since DS1 is 2 years older than DS2 and we still have most of his infant items ... it was once solid food got introduced that we had more stained clothes that we didnt keep!!!
Andrea (33) Peter (33) Donovan (2) and a surprise but most welcome DS2 on the way!! EDD Sept 21 2010 Three furbabies: Coco Tiggi

fiannakyn replied to mtlmayhem's response:
around here we call those "Meet the baby" showers. Very popular with 2nd, 3rd etc child, or adopted, or in cases of large families that all want to visit.

fiannakyn replied to fiannakyn's response:
oh and I thought you'd find this amusing-
my husband was reading over my shoulder and said "1 up? like in Super Mario Brothers?" I said "yes dear, they're having a mario theamed party and the baby is going to be dressed as a 1 up mushroom" He of course thought it was the best idea ever.

Spotlight: Member Stories

The story I need to tell is the one about fighting infertility, through the two miscarriages and finally the light at the end of a long, dark tunnel-t...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.