Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
? for GD moms about morning sugars
jmarsh81 posted:
I have a question about the morning sugars. When I wake up my fasting numbers are always great, around 85. But after breakfast, 15 carbs, when its time to check my sugar its still high. This morning I had less than half a PB sandwich and my sugar was still 151. My other numbers through out the day are good. I had chinese for lunch on a splurge, lol, and figured it would be high after that, but it was only 103. I am not understanding this at all. I see the diabetic counselor next week, but thought I would ask you ladies. What could be causing my sugars to stay so high after breakfast?

Sweetpea0916 responded:
I am not sure why your sugar would be so high after so little, honestly 15 carbs is a snack, not a meal. I would most certainly talk to the counselor to get an idea of what is going on. It may just be the way your body and your metabolism work. I tend have higher sugars after breakfast too, 45 carbs, but it varies.

truewyatt responded:
how long do you wait to check your sugars? are you taking any meds?
your sandwich have jelly? what kind of bread did you use? did you drink milk with it?
Me (Brandy) 37, DH 39, DS 1 and scheduled c-section 11/18 and PINK TEAM!!!!

jessica5289 replied to truewyatt's response:
Some people don't tolerate carbs early in the morning. I personally don't do well at breakfast. Good luck. Try eggs for breakfast.

lestersgirls responded:
I don't do well after breakfast either. Fruit really jacks it up if I try to eat it in the morning. I have to stick with eggs or proteins.
Steffanie (37),Lester (30), DD1 (8-14-03), DD2 (4-12-05), Angel Baby @6 weeks (6-17-08), Baby Boy Kellan Lester Due 10-12-10!

KLS0228 responded:
Ok, well, try eating something different. You probably need MORE protein to break down the carbs. Have you looked to see how many carbs are in your bread? because a lot of breads are pretty high for ONE peice, even if it is Whole Wheat. I buy Sarah LEE and I found one wheat kind that only has 19 or 20 CARBS for TWO peices of bread. Try having an egg or two with you breakfast, too, it might help. IT was a lot of trial and error for me. I found that a small bagel (mini bagels) and creamcheese work best for me for breakfast and evening snack. I had the problem of my fasting sugars being like 110 or something, which isn't to high, but still high. it probably took me over two weeks to figure otu what I needed to eat to make it normal. I just added more protein adn that made ALL the difference. I pretty much have learned to Avoid fast food all together unless I can get a GOOD salad becuase that way I know how many carbs I am getting. Don't get me wrong its ok to splurge once in a while, but for me, its easier. I am a pretty strict on my diet though. I haven't had pasta since I first found out I was GD, and I dont' think I have eaten fast food either. And DH and I very rarely go otu to eat, just becuase I want to know exactly how many carbs I am getting. Actually I might be a little OCD on this! LOL!!! But it has helped me learn that I needed to make a lifestyle change in my eating habits!! I hate HORRIBLE before and now I don't mind eating a salad while everyone else has pasta! LOL!! I have lost 17lbs and I am smaller now than when I got pregnant, which is amazing!!! :) So I am definately going to stick iwth my diet! LOL!!
DD 9/25/08 (5 weeks early and 6lbs 12oz!), DS due 9/24/10 but will be here no later than 9/17/10 via C-Section!

jmarsh81 replied to truewyatt's response:
I am suppose to check my sugar after 1 hr, which is don't understand. Most of the the time a diabetic has to check after 2 hrs. The only meds I take in the mornings is my Zofran for the morning sickness. The sandwich was 1 piece of white bread with just plain PB, and I drank water with it. Water has became my best friend, lol.

truewyatt replied to jmarsh81's response:
I check my sugars 2 hours after I eat. oh yes your sugar will be alittle high after only 1 hour. Is it your diabetic doctor or nutritionist that is having you check after 1 hour?
Maybe you should be on a small dose of metformin; it doesn't hurt the baby at all.
My ds last year my sugars were just great; with my dd this time they are out of whack. they actually had to put me on insulin this time to get my sugars down. I hate needles to so that sucks.
I hope your sugars get in check.
oatmeal is a good thing to eat in the morning too. My nutritionist said so.
Me (Brandy) 37, DH 39, DS 1 and scheduled c-section 11/18 and PINK TEAM!!!!

fuelbab responded:
Your hormones are the highest in the morning. Naturally your body releases hormones to wake you up, and being pregnant you have many more. These Hormones are what destroys your insulin. The PB and the bread is harder to process i the morning then in the evening. This is the best explanation I have gotten for why the numbers are higher in the morning and it is understandable.

KLS0228 responded:
Ok, I think I know why your sugars are high. I asked one of my other diabetic friends and they said since you are taking your sugar only an HOUR after you eat that is usually when your sugar will be at its peak. Try taking it one hr after you eat and then at the two hour mark and see what it is at two hour. My doc has me checking mine TWO hours and I think that is normal. I would definatley be talking to your diabetic doc about that. That just seems kinda weird to me. Also you could try finding a different type of bread that is lower in carbs. That could help too. But also increase the protein. But I am interested to knwo what your two hour numbers are now!! So make sure you keep me updated!!! Becuase they may be normal after two hours!
DD 9/25/08 (5 weeks early and 6lbs 12oz!), DS due 9/24/10 but will be here no later than 9/17/10 via C-Section!

jmarsh81 replied to truewyatt's response:
The diabetic counselor has me checking after 1 hr.

jmarsh81 replied to KLS0228's response:
If I check it after 2 hrs it is usually between 100-110. My mom is a diabetic and she has always checked her sugar after 2 hrs, so I don't understand that part either. They have been really good today, not over 110, so I don't know. Maybe I will figure this out before the baby gets here, lol.

KLS0228 replied to jmarsh81's response:
Ok, so between 100-110 is completely NORMAL. That is why I am confused. My grandparents (one from both sides) are diabetic and they check 2 hours as well, and every GD preggie I know does 2 hours too. I think you should definatly talk to them, because that is just werid! LOL!! Especially since your Mom is also diabetic and they have her checking 2 hours as well. But I think you are just fine if you are between that "normal" range TWO hours after eating. When do you meet with them again? Definately bring this up!!! And don't forget to ask them WHY they want you to check after one hr. I am curious to why they told you that! LOL!! :)

jmarsh81 replied to KLS0228's response:
I go back wednesday morning, and I am going to find out. The only thing I can figure is that they have my carb intake lower than what most of you ladies have said yours is. I am only allowed 15 carbs at breakfast and snacks, and 45 carbs at lunch and supper. I have so many questions for them wednesday, but I will keep you updated.

KLS0228 replied to jmarsh81's response:
Wow. that seems really low!! Shoot when I first started my diet I about died becuase I felt like I wasn't getting enough food!! You must be dying!!! Definitely find out what is going on and let me know!!! 15 carbs at breakfast is NOTHING!! that is not even ONE peice of toast!!! Becuase usually bread is at least 19-20 thing carbs!! YIKES! Keep us updated!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married with 3 beautiful children (2 boys and a girl)

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.