Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

  • See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
I need to make a decision
avatar
ingramsept posted:
I had my 38 week appointment today and the doctor said my choices are:

I can schedule a c-section next week or I can wait and be induced in 2 weeks. The only reason for the week difference is her schedule. Which should I choose??????
September 33, Ryan 35 and Max edd 10/2
Reply
FirstPrevious12NextLast
 
avatar
roni090909 responded:
That's really weird that they would give you the choice of c-section or induction? why are they wanting to schedule a C? Personally I would let nature take its course. Then do an induction around 40 weeks if the baby wasn't here.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10
 
avatar
ingramsept responded:
I have polyhydramnios (excessive amniotic fluid) and I am showing no signs of going into labor and they don't think that I will go into labor on my own. I am barely dialated and my cervix is very high. I am also extremely uncomfortable and my blood pressure is getting higher every visit. So they gave me those options.
September 33, Ryan 35 and Max edd 10/2
 
avatar
ingramsept replied to ingramsept's response:
Oh and his estimated weight is already over 9 pounds.
September 33, Ryan 35 and Max edd 10/2
 
avatar
roni090909 replied to ingramsept's response:
Oh I see. I think I would still go for the induction if they think you body can handle that big of a baby. C-section would be the last resort for me.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10
 
avatar
diamond7sparkles responded:
I agree with Roni, I wouldn't want to have a c-section done unless it were my last option.
Crystal (22) Caedance almost 2!, angel baby 11.09, Madison EDD 10.25.10
 
avatar
aka85 replied to diamond7sparkles's response:
Jumping on the bandwagon here and suggesting the same...although I hear induced labor can be rough, I would try that route before a C-section if they think you can successfully deliver a 9lb baby. Best of luck to you. Hope it goes smoothly for you and LO!!
 
avatar
bap528 responded:
Just my opinion - I would rather have an induction if your body can handle the big baby. C section as a last resort.
 
avatar
eliguns841984 responded:
I have to agree with everyone else here. Go for the induction and if baby is too big and it isn't working out, they will give you a C section anyway! I would really leave that as a last resort because although the C section itself may not be a big deal, the thought of having to deal with a recovery while caring for a newborn isn't fun. In my first pregnancy, I always thought "eh, why not? Give me a C section!" and although I didn't have a C section, I now have totally changed my thought on it. I had a very basic laporoscopic gallbladder removal back in October, and just recovering from that made me rethink my stance on a C section. Recovering from that little gallbladder surgery was hard enough!
 
avatar
hopeks27 responded:
If you can, avoid the c-section! I am having one because my first was a c-section due to breech position. The recovery is doable but it is not fun and I can not imagine doing it with a large baby mine was 5lbs 6oz. I am not allowed to have a natural birth due to the previouse c. It hurts my woman hood pride that I never got and will never have the chance to bring my child into this world natuaral! HTH and GL
 
avatar
phoenix31674 responded:
I have to agree with others to try induction. I ended up with an emergency c-section and while I recovered quickly, it was not what I wanted. It is major abdominal surgery and recovery can be difficult because your abdominal wall has been cut. I'm lucky that I have a chance to try vaginal this time, but we both know it might not work, but it can be hard to find a hospital that will allow vbac.Thankfully Germans aren't too uptight about that, though the army doc who delivered DD said I would be fine for vbac, so I presume military hospitals allow them - or at least the one I was at did so.
 
avatar
sarah0323 responded:
I would go for the induction. My DD was born 9lbs 15oz. I delivered naturally. No one was expecting her to be that big. Since then I have been induced with my last 3 boys. I will tell you that an induction contractions are stronger or they were for me anyway and if your body isn't ready then it may not work and you may end up with a c-section. I personally would do the c-section as a last resort. I will probably be induced this time around as well depending on the size of the baby.
 
avatar
ingramsept responded:
Thank you everyone for your responses, and I am going against everyone's advice. I am opting for the c section because i am more afraid of laboring and then having a c section than anything else. I am at a higher risk of ending up with a c section anyway due to the size of the baby vs. my pelvis size, the polyhydramios poses more risks for cord issues and induction leads to c section more often than going into labor on your own. So again I do appreciate everyone's opinions and if I didn't have the polyhydramnios I would probably follow it but I think the c section is better for me and Max. So I should have a baby sometime next week!!!!
September 33, Ryan 35 and Max edd 10/2
 
avatar
amira1222 replied to ingramsept's response:
I support your decision. I am scheduled for a repeat c section on October 12th. This will be my third child and my second c section. I am like you with higher risk due to pelvis size vs baby's weight. When I had my second baby, after laboring for 14 hours and my painful, unsuccessful attempts to reposition her head, we ended up doing a c section.

After all was said and done, I had no regrets. My recovery was easy (considering it was a csection - not horrible or miserable) - I didn't need any additional painkillers once I was home and was back home in 2 days( by my choice - I could"ve stayed an extra day, but it was Christmas eve and I wanted to be back at home

Anyways - just wanted to share my thoughts with you

Good Luck!!!
 
avatar
ingramsept replied to amira1222's response:
Thank you, Amira. Good luck to you as well.
September 33, Ryan 35 and Max edd 10/2


Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! My name is Jenelle. I love in upstate NY with my wonderful family--I first came to WebMD when I was pregnant with my son in 2007. You can find...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.