Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Hospital
sarah0323 posted:
Is it bad to change the hospital you want to deliver at? I have had all 4 of my DC at the same hospital. This time I wanted to have my tubes tied before I left the hospital so I need to go to the other hospital in town. This weekend my SO (we've been together 8 years) went to visit the other hospital. We didn't like it. One of the major reasons why is because we aren't legally married so my SO can't get the baby from the nursery or have contact with baby unless I am right there even if baby were to be transferred to NICU until I am released from the hospital. The rooms were so tiny. This may seem like a petty complaint but they didn't have a tub that you can labor in. With my others I stayed in the tub for as long as I could because it just felt good. At this hospital you have to labor in bed the whole time. You can't even get up to walk around to try to help labor along. You are also in 4 different rooms (triage, labor, delivery, and then recovery until you are released) where as at the other hospital you labor and delivery in the same room and then are moved to another room until you are released. Also, the surgery wing is on the same floor and wing so there are alot of people always walking around that you have no idea who they are. The only plus side that we can see is they are the only NICU in town. I can have my tubes tied 6 weeks after delivery in an out patient setting. My Dr. can deliver at either hospital and the hospitals are only a block apart. So my question to all you ladies is this:

Would you rather deliver at a hospital where you felt comfortable or would yould go to the other hospital and have your tubes tied right after delivery?

Jacque72903 responded:
Personally I would go with delivering at the hospital you are most comfortable with. The NICU is great, but hopefully you won't need it and if you do then it is only a block away. But honestly, being comfortable and being able to feel confident that your baby is safe is more important. It would be an inconvienance to have your tubes tied later, but to me it would be worth the peace of mind where baby is concerned. I know they are pretty strick at our hospital. We can't leave the room with our baby or an alarm goes off. Which I LOVE because I know nothing can happen to her.
Me (30) DH (39) DS (2, 3 NOV 8th) Jessica Lynn EDD 11/12/2010, 2 fur babies Lacy and Carley (both chocolate labs)

roni090909 responded:
I would go with the new hospital that you aren't as comfy at. It will be so much easier to get your tubes tied now vs later. There will only be one recovery. If I weren't to get my tubes tied at the same time, I would wait until the new LO was 6 months old. You will feel alot better by that time. And the NICU is there. DS was born on his DD but still needed NICU, so you never know. The baby will be with you most of the time, unless NICU is needed, so the issues involving your SO won't matter. I understand all the moving around can be a pain but it really isn't that big of deal, at least to me.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

Spotlight: Member Stories

My pic is of Eli at 30 wks and 1 dy Too Sweet! My story is weird long and complicated I am a happy single mom and finallay after 32 years know where I...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.