Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Asthma and pregnancy
JessHeath posted:
I don't quite get how being pregnant is making me have asthma. I did have asthma about 10 years ago when I lived in Minneapolis and I think its induced by air pollution (that city isn't too bad but was apparently enough to give me asthma). But now its gotten quite bad. I didn't know what was going on but sometimes I would just be standing and get out of breath and have to sit down or go up stairs and start wheezing so I feel like such a wimp but then my OB listened to my lungs and confirmed that they are not clear, I am in fact wheezing and having asthma symptoms and what do you know, the inhaler works wonders! So what about pregnancy causes my asthma to worsen, anybody know. I don't think its just cuz he's so high, he is but why would my lungs be wheezy, I think I would just have a lower lung capacity then. I just hope it clears up after birth.

CJ7860 responded:
I think a lot of the breathlessness and breathing issues is due to an increase in blood volume. I am definitely stuffier than usual. This can also make colds much harder to deal with as well.

I'm a big time runner, and get out of breath going up stairs almost every time. I don't run at this point, but have kept up the walking...so I can't be that out of shape...lol.
Melissa (32) dh (34) dd (5) Due Dec 4th with a little boy!

sarah0323 responded:
I have had asthma since I was a child. In my late teens it went away (I wasn't noticing any symptoms). About 7 years ago I noticed that I was having troubles breathing and I was wheezing. I was PG at the time. Mine has not gone away again. Mine is worse in the fall and winter. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible for it to "go away" and then come back and it may not have anything to do with your pregnancy. I hope for you it does clear up after pregnancy though.

I have continued to walk and take the stairs at work and I will tell you that I still get out of breath most of the time when I walk up 3 flights of stairs. This is from LO being so high and just not having much lung capacity.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have 2 sons Braxton and Atlas, got married 2008 to the most wonderful man that has raised my son as his own and we now have one together and have a ...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful