Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Asthma and pregnancy
JessHeath posted:
I don't quite get how being pregnant is making me have asthma. I did have asthma about 10 years ago when I lived in Minneapolis and I think its induced by air pollution (that city isn't too bad but was apparently enough to give me asthma). But now its gotten quite bad. I didn't know what was going on but sometimes I would just be standing and get out of breath and have to sit down or go up stairs and start wheezing so I feel like such a wimp but then my OB listened to my lungs and confirmed that they are not clear, I am in fact wheezing and having asthma symptoms and what do you know, the inhaler works wonders! So what about pregnancy causes my asthma to worsen, anybody know. I don't think its just cuz he's so high, he is but why would my lungs be wheezy, I think I would just have a lower lung capacity then. I just hope it clears up after birth.

CJ7860 responded:
I think a lot of the breathlessness and breathing issues is due to an increase in blood volume. I am definitely stuffier than usual. This can also make colds much harder to deal with as well.

I'm a big time runner, and get out of breath going up stairs almost every time. I don't run at this point, but have kept up the walking...so I can't be that out of shape...lol.
Melissa (32) dh (34) dd (5) Due Dec 4th with a little boy!

sarah0323 responded:
I have had asthma since I was a child. In my late teens it went away (I wasn't noticing any symptoms). About 7 years ago I noticed that I was having troubles breathing and I was wheezing. I was PG at the time. Mine has not gone away again. Mine is worse in the fall and winter. I just wanted to let you know that it is possible for it to "go away" and then come back and it may not have anything to do with your pregnancy. I hope for you it does clear up after pregnancy though.

I have continued to walk and take the stairs at work and I will tell you that I still get out of breath most of the time when I walk up 3 flights of stairs. This is from LO being so high and just not having much lung capacity.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married with 3 beautiful children (2 boys and a girl)

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.