Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
QOTD 10/05
FloralMom posted:
Question of the day:

2nd time + mommies...
What infant/baby product did you love and couldn't have lived without? And which product was a waste of money?
Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS1 11/06, DS2 - ^Jeremiah^

sarah0323 responded:
For me it was the swing and the boppy. My DS3 had reflux so bad that if we hadn't of had the boppy to prop him up on I don't know what I would have done. Also, the bear that makes the swooshing sound. It helped calm one of my LO's down very quickly.

roni090909 responded:
The boppy because I BF. DS also loved the bouncer.

The swing would have been a waste for us but I borrowed it. DS hated it. He also hated the jumparoo thing.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

mamatobe08 responded:
video monitor! I got alot more rest once i could lay in bed and check that DS was still in his crib and breathing. i didnt really find anything i had to be a waste.

jenfur79 responded:
Bouncy seat and boppy pillow those 2 things I used ALL the time. With DD she used her swing all the time but with DS he hated it so that was a waste for us this time. With will see if DD2 likes the swing or not.
Me(30)DH(34)DD(10)DS(2)Lil Girl EDD 12/28/2010

CJ7860 responded:
hmmm, changing table (just adding this one bc so many people said..you will never use it), diaper wipe warmer, swing (at first), diaper

Waste: the breast pump, all the bottles (my daughter wouldn't bottles ever), pacifers, boppy. I actually felt like I had a lot of waste.
Melissa (32) dh (34) dd (5) Due Dec 4th with a little boy!

eliguns841984 responded:
I've found that what is useful really varies from one mommy to another, but for us:

Couldn't live without: swing, bottle warmer that plugs into the car charger, sleep sacks

Pointless purchases: travel system! I would have been MUCH better suited with just the car seat/base and a separate, more compact stroller. I never clipped that huge car seat into the stroller. AND the travel system was so expensive...and turned out to be pointless for us. I also think that the small bottles are pointless. DS was taking more in a bottle than those things would hold by the time he was a few months old, so we had to put them all away and just use the full size bottles

CJ7860 replied to eliguns841984's response:
oooh, I totally agree with how much things vary! For us, the travel system should have been my number one listed must have...ack! How did I forget that? lol
Melissa (32) dh (34) dd (5) Due Dec 4th with a little boy!

roni090909 replied to eliguns841984's response:
The travel system was a waste for us too. DS hated the carseat, so I always just put him in the stroller without the carseat.
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

Jen93727 responded:
We definately used the travel system, bouncer, swing and walker. Oh and we used the receiving blankets all the time.

Didn't really use the playmats. The bottle warmer was used but not as much as I thought I would use it, it was much easier to just hold the bottles under the hot water in the sink. We also never really used the monitor, we always had DS in the same room with us.
Jen (35) DH Joe (36) DS Anthony (18) DS Joey (3) Furbaby Bruiser (5) Scheduled C-Section on 11/15 for Baby Ashley!!!

breezy_83255 responded:
My changing table was a must- I still use it for my 16 month old! I also loved my Jungle mat and bouncy chair. For the first few weeks pajamas that zip or the nightgowns are a must- snaps in the middle of the night don't work! We also used the travel system a lot, but both girls were born in the spring and I walked a lot.

Wastes- too many newborn clothes/diapers. Don't buy any until you know how big/small your baby is. Even then, a typical full term won't stay in newborn for long. The baby bath tub. We used it a handful of times for DD1 and maybe once or twice for DD2. It was easier to just put an inch of water in the regular tub and lay the baby down on the mat.

momtobegrunden responded:
Gripe water! That stuff worked wonders for DS. I've already got a bottle ready for LO. I also loved they boppy but not for nursing; I found it just got in the way during nursing. LO slept in it for several weeks because of his reflux. Ours had straps on it that kept him from sliding down into it.

I think the only thing we didn't use was the wedge positioner for the crib. When they're small enough to use it they don't roll anyway, so it was pointless. Then you can't use it when they roll because of suffocation risk. Doesn't make much sense to me!
Me(29). DH(40). DSD(15). DSS(9). DS(2). Baby Max due 10/4!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Lilli (23) DBF (30) EDD 5/21/10 ,being induced 5/14/10 BLUE TEAM !!! I am so excited to be having my first ( and last) LO : )

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.