Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Is Sudafed Safe?
cgbrown1 posted:
I came down with an HORRIBLE sinus cold...like so bad I couldn't sleep and was dry heaving mucus. My doc.'s list of "ok" meds include Sudafed and Benadryl, so I started taking them. After searching the web, however, I am finding some really conflicting and scarry news about the use of Sudafed or Pseudophedrine HCL. Now I'm freaking out thinking I may have exposed my baby to something and maybe should have just dealt with the congestion and nastiness.

Can anyone clear the air on the safety of Sudafed use?

BelleMorte08 responded:
It sounds like you have what I had about two weeks ago. I went in to my dr's office and he said sudafed was fine. Its only problematic if you're still in your first tri. Just because I was paranoid, I also asked the pharmasist at the walgreens around the corner, and he said the same thing. It is only a problem in the first 13-15 weeks, after that you're safe.

I only had to take two doses, and felt better the next evening. So, if its the same thing I had, its pretty close to being done.
Me(20), Seth(28), 3 feline furbabies: Brownie, Snickers, and Hershey,3 babies in heaven. Baby boy, Jonathan Abel, is due 11/10/10. :-)

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
When I get a sinus infection I cut out all dairy which helps me a lot. I have to stop all dairy for a few days.You can get calcium eating other non-dairy foods. If you are concerned call your doctor and see if he has something else he would recommend. It seems like everyone is getting sick. I hope you feel better soon.

redmom23 responded:
It's been 2 weeks for me and I'm still fighting it. Grrrr. My OB said take Sudafed, the risk is in early pregnancy and I've consulted him so I'm good to go. My problem is everytime I take it my stomach hurts. Doesn't matter if I take it with food or without.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am engaged to be married to a wonderful man, we currently have three children two girls and a boy. The new arrival to the family will be a little gi...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.