Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Wednesday's community discussion 10/20 (9 Top Ways We Waste Money)
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello Mommies!

I was a little shocked after reading this article: http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/19/9-top-ways-we-waste-money-2010/
I didn't know that some of these were wasteful. Here are the top 9. Do any of these apply to you?

No. 9: Eating Out on Lunch Breaks: Yes, I eat out too much.
No. 8: Children's Birthday Parties: No, we let the kids know parties will decrease present amount.
No. 7: Brand-Name Products: Sometimes, I will try an off brand and decide.
No. 6: Cigarettes: No, I don't smoke!
No. 5: Oil Changes Every 3,000 Miles: Yes, I do try to get my oil changed every 3,000 miles. Going to think about this one.
No. 4: Using 'Super' in Your Tank: No
No. 3: Designer Coffee:Yes, my only vise!
No. 2: Energy Drinks: No but I have bought them for my son.
No. 1: Bottled Water: No, I normally will not purchase.

GermaphobeTeacher responded:
No. 9: Eating Out on Lunch Breaks: Nope. I am not working right now, but when I did I didn't have time to go out.
No. 8: Children's Birthday Parties: I don't really see this as wasteful since it is something special you do only once a year.
No. 7: Brand-Name Products: There are some products where I refuse to use an off brand (toilet paper and Kleenex being the main examples), but if there is no difference in quality I will use the off brand.
No. 6: Cigarettes: Don't smoke. Can't even stand to be around people that do smoke.
No. 5: Oil Changes Every 3,000 Miles: No way! This would cost a fortune with my car.
No. 4: Using 'Super' in Your Tank: Unfortunately my car takes super.
No. 3: Designer Coffee: I do love my decaf Starbucks!
No. 2: Energy Drinks: I can't have caffeine. An energy drink would probably send me to the hospital.
No. 1: Bottled Water: I do use bottled water right now because our town keeps failing the water inspections. I don't want to take any chances while pregnant.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to GermaphobeTeacher's response:
I hate our tap water. (chlorine smell) We boil and store in the frig.

I have 6 children 3 grandchildren We had a birthday almost every month for years. When the children became teens, we gave them the choice.

Jen93727 responded:
No. 9: Eating Out on Lunch Breaks: Use to do this everyday but have cut back recently...
No. 8: Children's Birthday Parties: I like to give my kids parties for their birthday but I shop around and try to save as much as possible.
No. 7: Brand-Name Products: Depends on the product...I won't use off brands for toilet paper, PineSol, or deoderant. I'm trying a toothpaste right now but I don't care for it so I doubt I will try another off brand on those either.
No. 6: Cigarettes: No, no smoking for me...
No. 5: Oil Changes Every 3,000 Miles: Use to but the car we have now tells us when we need to change it so I just go by that.
No. 4: Using 'Super' in Your Tank: No way, cheap unleaded is fine...
No. 3: Designer Coffee: I don't drink coffee but on occassion I do like a good caramel creme frap from Starbucks.
No. 2: Energy Drinks: Not usually, maybe once or twice a yr on these around end of the year inventory audits at work.
No. 1: Bottled Water: Yes, my oldest son is like a camel and only drinks water. Have to always have water on hand at home, but we can deal with the generic brands in this dept...
Jen (35) DH Joe (36) DS Anthony (18) DS Joey (3) Furbaby Bruiser (5) Scheduled C-Section on 11/15 for Baby Ashley!!!

sarah0323 responded:
No. 9: Eating Out on Lunch Breaks: Yes, I travel out of town alot so if I want to eat I do.
No. 8: Children's Birthday Parties: No we usually just do something at home. I keep birthday's pretty low key.
No. 7: Brand-Name Products: I shop alot at Aldi's. There are somethings that I won't do generic on though.
No. 5: Oil Changes Every 3,000 Miles: No, I travel 3,000 miles in 6 weeks. I do every 6,000 miles.
No. 4: Using 'Super' in Your Tank: No
No. 3: Designer Coffee: No but I have to have name brand pop.
No. 2: Energy Drinks: No
No. 1: Bottled Water: Yes. Our water isn't safe for children under 1. So I will buy bottled water for the baby. We also use whatever is cheapest for the on the go bottles. We do use a filter for most of our other water though.

roni090909 responded:
No. 9: Eating Out on Lunch Breaks: Yes, I eat out way too much but sometimes I just need to get out.
No. 8: Children's Birthday Parties: No, so far we have just done get togethers at the house
No. 7: Brand-Name Products: This depends on the product, sometimes I want the brand name and sometimes I don't care
No. 5: Oil Changes Every 3,000 Miles: Nope, I wait until my car tells me I need one, its usually around 6,000 miles
No. 4: Using 'Super' in Your Tank: No, I am way to cheap to do this but my DH does every now and then
No. 3: Designer Coffee:No, I hate coffee
No. 2: Energy Drinks: DH drinks them sometimes but I don't, especially pregnant. I will every now and then not pregnant
No. 1: Bottled Water: No, we have the filter in the fridge
Me (30) DH (37) DS (10/20/08) and New Baby Girl EDD 11/11/10

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
You ladies are penny pinching where it counts for you. That way you can splurge in other areas. I still need to cut back. My son 20.00 dollars me to death!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi my name is Tiffany..my husband, Tj and I have been married for almost 5 years. We are expecting our first son, Tyler Jordan, on March 7 2011.

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.