Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Friday's 5 holiday (Getting to know you better)
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hi Mommies!

Friday's 5 holiday questions will help us get to know you a little. Here are today's 5.

1. How far in advance do you purchase groceries for Thanksgiving?
2. How many times have you over cooked or burned part of Thanksgiving dinner?
3. Do you eat ham or turkey for Thanksgiving?
4. What is your favorite food in your Thanksgiving dinner?
5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see, during the Thanksgiving holiday?

I normal purchase all the side ingredients a week in advance and then the meat a day before.
Our first Thanksgiving with DH, the glass baking pan fill with candied yams exploded onto our turkey.

We have both.
Candies yams!

5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see during the Thanksgiving holiday?
Not anymore because I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars for my whole family to come over and fight. So those certain few were told to find another place to eat until they can get along.

amb_519 responded:
I started picking up stuff I'll need a few days ago -- I always forget something, so I try to buy it whenever I remember it, plus they had everything on sale..I'm cheap, what can I say ;)
I've never overcooked or burned, but the first turkey we made as a married couple almost 7 years ago was HORRIBLE...it took SO long for it to bake, I can't remember what I did wrong but everything else was done several hours before the turkey ever was haha

Turkey!
Green Bean Casserole -- I'd eat that for a week straight if I ever had enough left over =) I want some right now....
5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see during the Thanksgiving holiday?
Nope, we spent every holiday alone while we lived in Texas, now that we've been in Missouri for a couple years, my parents usually come down to spend Thanksgiving with us, which usually goes really smoothly =) no other relatives to deal with on THIS holiday!

mesha84 responded:
To be honest this is the 1st Thanksgiving I am doing I usually make a dish to bring, but this year its all on me. Once I know who's coming n bringing wht then i will go food shopping.

I have only made a turkey one time to be honest it came out perfect :o.

When I was younger we used to eat both but now its only Turkey.

It depends on if I go to my brothers house baked mac n cheese, candied yams n pie.If i go to DF sisters house then it will be the lasagna.

5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see, during the Thanksgiving holiday?
Yes DF sisters mil she is a mess she gets drunk n starts bothering everyone stealing food picking at the dessert its just horrible I hate going to DF sisters house for the holidays.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to mesha84's response:
Aw, Mesha! Soft hugs and hide the booze!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to amb_519's response:
My DH loves green bean casserole too!

kay_kay75 replied to amb_519's response:
1. How far in advance do you purchase groceries for Thanksgiving? I will start purchasing this weekend.
2. How many times have you over cooked or burned part of Thanksgiving dinner? Never Overcooked anything
3. Do you eat ham or turkey for Thanksgiving? Turkey!
4. What is your favorite food in your Thanksgiving dinner? Green bean Casserole
5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see, during the Thanksgiving holiday? Not yet!

sliverfroggy responded:
I don't purchase the groceries. My mom does and then either she cooks or I do if she is working
2. How many times have you over cooked or burned part of Thanksgiving dinner? Never on both but last year was the first time I cooked the Turkey and it was still frozen when it should have been defrosted. But, everything turned out good.
3. Do you eat ham or turkey for Thanksgiving? Turkey and Ham
My mom stuffing
5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see, during the Thanksgiving holiday?No, thankfully the In laws are working that day
Sharon (Me)- 28 years old, DH 30 years old. Little angel in heaven 12/07, DD (Milla)20months old and DD 2 (Makayla) due 12/09.

sarah0323 responded:
1. How far in advance do you purchase groceries for Thanksgiving? Usually about a week before.
2. How many times have you over cooked or burned part of Thanksgiving dinner? I don't remember but I'm sure that have been some.
3. Do you eat ham or turkey for Thanksgiving? Both only because my SO wants both.
4. What is your favorite food in your Thanksgiving dinner? The leftovers and pumpkin pie with lots of cool whip.
5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see, during the Thanksgiving holiday? Not anymore. I have told both families they are welcome to come over but if anyone starts fighting they will be asked to leave and can't come back. This has helped so those few who like to start something don't even come.

mesha84 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks for the hugs. i wish it was that easy but when we do that she pull out another bottle from a stash that she has or she will go to the liquor store n get some more.

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to mesha84's response:
You need a vacation girl! I hope it all goes well. :)

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to kay_kay75's response:
5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see, during the Thanksgiving holiday? "Not yet!"

Well at least you have something to look forward too!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to sliverfroggy's response:
I hope you get lots of stuffing too.

michelleloehr replied to mesha84's response:
If I'm hosting I would start buying this weekend, if I am only bringing over a dish or desert I'll pick it up the week before Thanksgiving; luckily this year because of the baby I'm in charge of nothing
None that I can think of, I did undercook the mash potatoes one year and they were a little hard to get mashed and then the texture was all weird
3. Do you eat ham or turkey for Thanksgiving?Turkey for Thanksgiving
4. What is your favorite food in your Thanksgiving dinner? cranberry sauce
5. Do you have relatives that make you cringe to see, during the Thanksgiving holiday?Um most of them. I don't get along well with most of my extended family or we only see them at the holidays so conversation is really, really awkward. I also hate dealing w/ DH's immediate family. His mom has this bizarre need to touch me and I have a huge personal bubble so that's not a good combo. FIL talks like Boomhower from King of Hill so unless I'm really paying attention I can't understand what he's saying. Both SIL are disgusting piece of white trash that I'd prefer that LO never sees but I doubt I'll be able to work that one out. I love his grandma though if we could do holidays w/ just her that would be awesome.

belle9164 responded:
About a week or so
Maybe once, I have only done the whole thing twice so I can't remember but I have done plenty of dishes.
If I go to my families then it is both but when it's me doing it I opt for just turkey.
Green bean casserole
I would have to say that we all get along for the most part and I love seeing everyone. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday!
ME (24) DH (26) Nathaniel due 11-11, mommy to 3 dogs and a cat

mesha84 replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes i do lol, I spoke to DF last night n told him since I am due on Thanksgiving lets just stay home n not have n e one over bcuz i don't have the energy to deal with the drama this year, so he agreed thank goodness. :-D
Me-26 DF-27 DS1-Gary7 SD-Saniaa6 DS2-Damien4 DS3-Amari2 DS4 Elijah1 DS5-Isaiah due 11-25-10

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Christine & I've been married to my husband, Scott, since 2007. My sweet son's name is Logan & he was born on June 2, 2008....More

Helpful Tips

help
what do contractions feel like? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful