Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Dehydration
CSell posted:
I have been a little on the dehydrated side for the past month or so. I have been having more contractions because of it, but never enough to make me really concerned. My doctor is aware of this and has asked me to try to drink more fluids and pedialite. The doctor told me that if I get too dehydrated they will ask me to go to the hospital and get an IV. I have been trying to drink more water, but I think my urine is getting darker. It's like the baby is sucking the moisture out of me somehow. Has anyone else had a problem like this and is it normal to get dehydrated so easily? This is my 5th and I never had a problem with dehydration with my other kids. I am currently almost 28 weeks.

mesha84 responded:
wow sounds like me my DR is always telling me he doesnt like the color of my urine n i tell him look i drink all the time im really not into water but DF makes sure there is nothing in this house to drink except water, sparkling water, milk n the kids juice which he knows i will never take my kids juice for me to drink n im lactose intolarant so i cant drink milk lol so the only thing i am really drinking is water n every now n then it seems like aroud the time of my DR appointment i get a treat which is soda or juice lol. the only thing i can say which my DR told me is how ever much water i am drinking double it.
Me-26 DF-27 DS1-Gary7 SD-Saniaa6 DS2-Damien4 DS3-Amari2 DS4 Elijah1 DS5-Isaiah due 11-25-10

breezy_83255 responded:
I get in trouble every time I go to the doc. For my last appointment I drank 1/2 a bottle of water on the way to the office. It "tricked" them into thinking my water intake was better. I know, I know, that's terrible, but I am having a horrible time drinking enough! If I drank what they want me to, I would have to teach, eat, and sleep in the bathroom! I already spend half my day walking back and forth to the one bathroom in the school. I can't go anymore! Besides that, I'm not thirsty and I hate water :(
Heather (29), Josh (30), DD1 (3 1/2), DD2 (1 1/2), Baby boy EDD Feb 1st!!!!

gigglygirl responded:
I hate water too but since I have been L and D twice now with contractions and had to stay over once. Both times I had to get 2 bags of IV fluid. So I am trying everything I can to stay away from that place until it is actually time. Sometimes I put coolaide in my water to get a different taste besides plan ol water. It seems to be helping. Good luck ladies.

JessHeath responded:
Yeah, I think you have to just chug it down. Sometimes I set up little rewards like if I finish this bottle I can have a soda or a piece of chocolate. Sounds childish but its what works for me. The problem for me is at night I think I get dehydrated but seriously, I get up to pee every 2 hours (even though its usually just a little bit) and I have to wear a pad all the time because I pretty much leak all the time. What do they want from me? If they could give me a comfortable easy catheter, I would even consider that at this point just so I don't have to interrupt my day or night so often!

MsMollyMac responded:
I have had a really hard time with dehydration this time. I always tried to drink 4-6 glasses of water a day, plus other fluids. My OB told me last time i saw him it wasn't enough, because I was having some strange symptoms. I was in preterm labor Tuesday night, and my discharge instructions included drinking 8-10 glasses of water every day, plus other fluids. That is nearly impossible for me!!! I'm ok with drinking water, but its really hard to force it down when I am not thirsty at all. What's strange is I was in my last trimester in the summer months with my daughter, and I never had a problem with dehydration and I know I was not drinking enough water. Strange.
Me- 26, DH-30, DD-3, New little one due 1-3-11

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I'm a first time mom, due in october and we have chosen to keep the gender a surprise. I will be barely(only a few days) 34 when I deliver if ...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.