Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
c section question
jrap1978 posted:
I was totally unprepared for a c section,so I never quite looked into anything and i have a dumb question...when do you start feeling normal???? I hate the fact that doing a few simple house chores makes me feel run down,and i hate that i cant climb into my bed yet cuz it hurts!!!!this is a totally new experience for me and quite frankly i think its contributing to the baby blues i feel..so i kinda wanna know is there an end near? i had her 9 days ago i know that isnt long but i was totally planning on a vaginal birth and being able to do alot more than i am!!! eeep!!!
Jen(32),DB(34),DS(11),SDD(7),EDD 1/16/11 PINK!!!!

sarahgrl responded:
After 2 weeks I was back to normal with my first. Now, I had a friend who was better after a month, and my SIL said she was back to "normal" after about 3 weeks. Meanwhile, my MIL swears she was doing housework and cooking up a storm the day she got home from the hospital with both of her c-sections (she had one vaginal, 2 c-sections, and 1 vbac), she swore the more she moved the more it helped. I have had multiple abdominal surgeries though and I know it takes a while to heal, just try to get up slow and walk around some because it really does help. If you stay in one spot for a long time it can make the pain worse. I also usually sleep in our recliner for a week after so it can do the sitting up for me And don't be shy about taking tylenol, it really can help with pain and swelling. (and don't try and pick up anything heavy, that'll set you back in recovery a bit)
Me(28), DH(28), DD(2), Keely Dawn EDD 2/19/11 :)

lestersgirls responded:
Lurking....
I've had 3 c-sections and it seems like it took me about 3 weeks with this last one to feel somewhat normal. It's a roller coaster though. You might feel great one day and then yucky the next. And I honestly do think it contributes to the baby blues! It makes you feel a little helpless at times. DH didn't understand that I just couldn't run around town and be super human like he was used to. Use this time to slow down and enjoy your baby. I know it's hard, but I promise, you'll be back to your old self soon! Take care!
Steffanie (37),Lester (30), DD1 (8-14-03), DD2 (4-12-05), Angel Baby @6 weeks (6-17-08),PAL Grad Kellan Lester (9-16-10)!

MartinaWilliams responded:
Lurking...
I was just like you, never did any research on c sections cause I was dead set on a vaginal birth and my c section hit me like a ton of bricks. I was out the hossy the day after my the surgery and I started feeling normal before 2 weeks. I Could get in n out of bed without feeling like im running out of breathe.. Everyone one is different but I assure u that u will soon feel better
Me(20), BF(47), EDD Dec.10.2010. Its a girl, Lilja :)

happymoe responded:
I was 2 weeks overdue, 3 day induction, got to 10 cm after 12 hours of harder labor, and was so dehydrated that they pounded fluids, diluted the pitocin and lost all the contractions. So I was unprepared for my c-section too. I had a wicked head cold that came on 2 days before my induction so that made things 10x worse. I ended up with bronchitis from all the coughing, which was excruciating with my surgery site. Keeling over and holding my belly kind of made coughing more bearable.

It took me about 4 1/2 weeks to feel normal, but I think it would have been faster without the cold.

jrap1978 replied to happymoe's response:
thank you everyone!!! yeh coughing has been a new experience and my bf was afraid i was going to get bronchitus from not being able to cough..its getting better but i just did the dishes and now i wanna go back to bed lol one day at a time i guess
Jen(32),DB(34),DS(11),SDD(7),Caelan Rose born 1/7/11 via em c/s

phoenix31674 replied to jrap1978's response:
I had to learn new ways to cough and sneeze after my c-section. We moved upstairs to our bed (from the couch) about 12 days out. By around 20 days or so, I was out and about pretty good, hitting the town with my mom and brother. This was DC, so we did the Mall, the Zoo, Natural History and i think air and space over three days. So by 3 weeks out I was doing days with probably about 5 miles of walking and it wasn't really all that flat.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Expecting my first baby..I am so excited to meet this little girl!

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.