Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
passing stool/urine during labor
mommyNtraining posted:
I was just wondering if i was the only person worried about this. this is my first pregnancy so i dont know what to expect. im 38 wks so the day is approaching soon. im very excited to meet my daughter but im not exciting about crapping all over the table/floor/etc. i know the nurses/dr are supposed to be ready for anything and have seen it all before but i really dont want to look over my belly and see crap on anybody and its all my fault. lol. what do u ladies think?

reb_hun responded:
don't worry about it. :P when i was pregnant with my first child, i was completely afraid of that too and i was embarrassed thinking about it happening. but you know what, when it came time for me to push i could care less. that's how i knew i was doing it right. all they do is just wipe you up and you're as good as new. well sort of. :P

mindy48875 responded:
I was the same way! The thought of pooping everywhere terrified me!!! But when it came time to pushing with my ds#2 - I had no idea that I even 'pooped' while I was pushing. The nurses were so quick to clean it away and acted as though nothing even happened. I had no idea it was even happening at the time (trust me - it will be the last thing you are thinking about). My dh was the one that told me about it afterwards - and I'll admit - I was a little embarrassed. But there's just no way to control it or stop it from happening. I'm just glad I didn't see it when it did happen!

ebonyeye responded:
When I had my first daughter at 19 I had NO CLUE this would happen. I dont recall urinating, but I definitely pooped and I wouldnt have had any idea, but my daughters father loudly asked "WHATS THAT" lol and the nurse politely just said oh just a little poo, took the paper towels that they place under us away and that was that.. No biggy. Its going to happen so there is no point in worrying about it. :)

They will place the towels under you, so it wont be on the table or floor, as soon as it happens they clean it up right away.
Tee (31) ~ DD (1/11/99) EDD (2/26/11)

DDK2005 responded:
OMG you just had me laughing out loud!!! I was paranoid about the same thing. With my 1st pregnancy I remember being like - 'OMG I think Im pooping" the nurse acting like nothing and did a lil wipe, while my husband was oblivious to it all. They tell you to push like you're taking a poop - so I guess that's how you'll know if you are doing it right - LOL!! As for peeing - I dont think that happens, but if it does - dont worry about it. Beleive me when it came to real time pushing - I didn't care if my bladder came out at that point - I just wanted to meet the little one!!!
Me: Dee (36), DH: Ken (36), DD: 3/26/09 Ava, Baby 2: EDD 4/2/11. From NYC. Go YELLOW Team!

StarryGrrl responded:
As the previous posters have said, it is so common that the nurses are prepared and can take care of it sometimes without you even knowing about it. Even though it is a common occurance doesn't mean that it will happen; I didn't poop during either of my labors. There is so much going on though at that time that I wouldn't have cared if I had. When I was pushing, all I could think was get this baby outta me! If pooping helps get baby out, then so be it! =)

MrsPiper responded:
I took castor oil with my oldest so I was all "cleaned out" by the time it came to push. But with my 2nd I could tell at some point that I was pooping on the table and I was like "oh no!" ready to apologize and be so embarassed. But the nurses were so nonchalant about it (and I was kind of busy with pushing. lol.) that everything continued like nothing happened. I asked dh about it later and he told me he hadn't noticed because he was consciously focusing on just my face. LOL! Thank goodness. :)

Jhawkchick responded:
I'm so happy you posted this because I've had concerns about the same thing, but I thought it was something that "could" happen or maybe happens to some people but from reading what everyone else is saying it seems like it happens more often than it doesn't. Wow...as if there aren't enough un-sexy things that happen to our bodies while pregnant...the nausea, the gas, the weigh gain, the swelling, the sneeze peeing, the discharge...sure let's just finish it all off by making us poop on ourselves and a bunch of strangers as a grand finale! Great!
Me (30), DH (30), Fur Baby: Nugget(Shih-tzu/poodle, 1), Alexa (Lexi) Belle due 3/30/2011

MrsPiper replied to Jhawkchick's response:
Jhawkchick... LOL!! You are so right! Pregnancy is like the end of dignity and propriety. :P

ESHmom responded:
I had been worried about that with my first one and the couple people I talked to said my body would automatically 'turn that off'. Yeah--right. It's the least fav part of having a baby.

mommyNtraining responded:
man i had so many great replies on this one, i was sitting here laughing the whole time reading! i am SOO glad though, that i'm not the only one who was worried or even thought of this. i remember asking my doctor about it, i was like should i just exlax myself before hand or stop it up with imodium and he said either way it would come, and that its absolutely normal with all women and deliveries. when i mentioned to him they should make a plug for that hole to prevent it from happening in the first place he just shook his head and laughed. lol.

JenJ325 responded:
Oh my..let me tell you it just happens... and yes, even pee too. You could ask my doctor about that one since he got a face full of it... He told me to push hard, so I pushed hard and it seemed like everything went into slow motion as I watched a straight beeline of piss fly into his face..and Im not just talking a little, Im talking a lot. He didnt have a face mask on or nothing..poor fella. I just watched it and started freaking out, pretty embarassed until the next contraction and then it was like "oh well, just peed in my doctors face, no biggie, just another day" LOL Its not going to be such a huge deal when it happens though and most of the time (esp if you cant see it) they wont tell you its happening.. You will be way to focused on how crappy contractions are to even care AS MUCH if it does happen..

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been together for 10 years. Tied the knot on 3/27/10 in Las Vegas! We have been TTC 5+ yrs. We have a heathly boy born 7/31/11 a...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful