Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
obgyn or PCP????
mindy48875 posted:
Okay - so I've had a horrible cough going on 3 weeks now. I haven't had a sore throat or fever....just a really bad hard cough. Well - starting on Friday I started to get a stuffy nose and my coughing has become so hard that I have severe pain in my left rib cage and the left side of my back. I'm not one to go to the doctor. I usually let things run their course and will be fine. But this has been going on so long now....and I'm so TIRED of not sleeping at night b/c it's worse when I lay down. The only reason I'm contemplating going to the doctor is for the sever pain in my back and ribs. Even if I were to have something like bronchitis or strep - it's not like they can put me on an antibiotic anyway right? Anyway...my question is...if my PCP can't see me - do I make an appt. with the obgyn since I am pregnant? Or doesn't the obgyn see you for those types of problems? Thanks for the help ladies!
Me(28)DH(29),DS(3)unnecesarian,DS(2)VBAC! Baby 3 due 5/24/11-another vbac!!!!

Wendy12345678 responded:
You should see your PCP, and yes you would probably be put on something if you need it. I had an antibiotic drip with a UTI when I was pregnant. If you feel safer you can double check your PCP's treatment with you OB/GYN. Good luck.

cheyenne828 replied to Wendy12345678's response:
I agree with the PP, see your primary care. Just to make you feel a little better, I had a horrible, horrible cold and cough in the fall for 4 weeks. I thought I broke ribs in two places and it took a long time to heal - it hurt to breathe it was so bad. I did get better though and it's just a distant memory now. For meds I was given an antiobiotic as a precaution, I took plain Robitussin (helped a little) and Tylenol PM to help me sleep. Hang in there and HTH.
Me - Pam, 37 / DH, 37 ~ 1 due 4/2/11 - Yellow team!

osamuel08 responded:
Mindy-

If you can't get in with your PCP, give your OB a buzz and see if they can give you a look/call in something for you. I know mine will do that for me but obviously prefer that I see my PCP. Also, you can still take antibiotics. I contracted Lymes Disease in my third tri when pregnant with our 2yo and I was on meds for three weeks straight during that time. Like ppl said I okayed what I was being prescribed by my PCP with my OB before starting anything.
Hope you are feeling better soon! Coughing with a big belly is no fun

Jen (35) DH (35) DS (5) DS (2) edd 4/7/11 blue team

mindy48875 responded:
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I did call my pcp but they were unable to get me in and advised me to go to an open clinic. I then called my obgyn hoping they'd see me but no luck there - so I went to the open clinic. And - just as I thought - just a viral cold that 'needs to run its course'. It just sucks I've had it for so long. And at least I have no cracked ribs this time! Just a pulled muscle in my back but it hurts like heck when I cough.
My dh couldn't believe it when I told him that's all it is. He thought for sure I had bronchitis or something. Oh well...what do you do other than suck it up right?

jedmonds12 replied to mindy48875's response:
I'm right there with you, Mindy! I pulled a muscle in my ribs about 10 days ago and then came down with an awful head cold and a deep chest cough. It hurts so bad to cough or sneeze!

I've been taking Sudafed for the congestion during the day (just 1 pill instead of 2) and then a Sudafed plus a Tylenol PM to help me sleep. I feel great when I wake up, but within an hour I'm all stuffed up again. I was sick in January with something really similar and it hung on for like 6 stinkin weeks.

I hope we both feel better soon!!
Julie (27), DF (34). Our little boy is due 4/18/11!

alb7585 responded:
My OB won't see me for illness. I always have to go to my PCP. When my PCP couldn't see me they made me go to urgent care for my last crud I had. GL

mindy48875 replied to jedmonds12's response:
Isn't it awful! I think this it's as bad as when I had a cracked rib about 3 months ago (also do to a horrible cough I had). Man - I don't know what it is with the pregnancy - but I have had more sicknesses than ever! I don't ever get sick and already I've had the stomach flu twice and now this nasty cold thing again for a second time. This baby sure it taking all my immunity that's for sure

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I met through a series of interesting twists. We both joined Match.com in the same month. My husband joined to meet someone to go to mo...More

Helpful Tips

36 weeks
Hi, since the secon trimester I have had a lot of pain in the pelvic region and between my legs. Today I lost my mucous plug and have been ... More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.