Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
breast feeding
colopyr posted:
can i start storing and pumping milk prior to jr being born? im leaking....lol

Wendy12345678 responded:
lurking... I leaked also with all of mine, but unfortunatly you shouldn't pump. What your making now is colestrum (sorta yellowish pre milk). It seems like it but you probably aren't making a lot. Your baby will only use this milk for a very short time. A few days after birth your real milk will come in (lol, with a vengance). Pumping could make hormones that you don't want. To much nipple stimulation could cause labor, so better safe than sorry. LOL, I'm no expert or anything, this is just what I remember from my pregnancies.

melissah210 responded:
Yes you can start pumping and storing, but be sure to label them so you know how long they have been stored...

found this online:

At room temperature (less than 77°F) for 4 to 8 hours
At the back of a refrigerator for 3 to 8 days
At the back of a freezer for up to 3 months

I have to admit though I learned something with reasearching online.. I didnt know freezing destroys some of the antibodies.
It is generally accepted that you can refrigerate breast milk for three to five days and freeze it for three to six months.
Don't freeze milk you plan to use within three to five days because freezing destroys some of the antibodies. (However, frozen breast milk is still healthier than formula.)

I dont know how far along you are but personally I wouldnt store too much milk even though it says you can. I would do a week before. But if your leaking and ready theres no stopping it and no point in wasting it and hey it will make it easier for you when feeding time comes. You can rest alittle more why someone else feeds him/her..

melissah210 replied to melissah210's response:
sorry i have to correct myself dont pump.. When you do start pumping be sure to label properly.

PP is right.. on the labor.

mommyNtraining responded:
from what i read you're not supposed to start pumping yet b/c itll stimulate contractions. it makes ur uterus contract. wear breast pads. i started leaking almost around 28wks

phoenix31674 responded:
aside from possibly stimulating labor, your baby will need the colostrum to provide immune protection for those first few months of life. Just start wearing some breast pads and be patient.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS#1 11/06, DS#2 - ^Jeremiah^ - had Anencephaly, a severe neural tube defect - Born 8/14/09, Died 8/17/09, M...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.