Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
2nd Time Moms...
sdadkin posted:
I am currently 32 weeks pregnant and have an almost 20 month old DS. I am a little nervous about having a second child and was wondering how everyone prepared their firstborn for the arrival of the new little one?

We tell him all the time that mommy has a baby in her belly and he rubs on it and sometimes kisses it and says "baby". I also have a book called "I'm A Big Brother" that he wants me to read to him every night. We try to tell him whenever we see a baby anywhere that we are going to bring home a new baby soon. I don't really know how much he understands or what else I can do to prepare him for his new baby brother. He is used to getting all of our attention and I have already seen some jealousy issues whenever I have held another baby in front of him.
Me (26) SO (26) DS (7/22/09) EDD (5/10/11) Blue Team!

reb_hun responded:
what you could try is getting a baby doll, we have one for my daughter and she plays with her all the time. we try to show her baby and gentle, to try to get her to understand that you have to be careful around the baby. i'm thinking that she understands a little bit, she kisses the baby in mommy's tummy all the time. she is 22 and a half months old. she's going to be 2 right around the time her little sister shows up. good luck

mindy48875 responded:
My first ds didn't really have much time to be the 'only child'
There's only 16 months between my 2 sons. But he seemed to adjust fine to it. He never had any jealousy issues and was always good with him. We didn't do much to help prepare either. Other than telling him that mommy was going to be bringing a baby home.

However - I think my 2nd ds is going to be the one who is jealous when baby #3 is here. There will be 2 years between these two but he already hates it if I'm holding onto another kid. But we'll see how it goes
Me(28)DH(29),DS(3)unnecesarian,DS(2)VBAC! Baby 3 due 5/24/11-another vbac!!!!

MAllen81 replied to mindy48875's response:
There are 28 months between my oldest two DS. DS1 did fabulous when DS2 arrived. No problems at all. There will be 31 months between DS2 and this baby. I'm like mindy48875, I think DS2 is going to have a harder time adjusting. He does not like if I'm holding a niece or nephew and he's very much a momma's boy. I joke to my DH that he's going to be on newborn duty because DS2 probably won't let me get close to the baby. He's perfectly okay with that - he says newborns are way easier than 2 year olds!

Averysmomma0106 responded:
My DD will be 5 1/2 when DS is born, so she totally understands what's going on and she's very involved. We got her books about being a big sister and we've been watching home movies from when she was born and when she was a baby. We also let her help pick out the baby bedding and lots of clothes for her baby brother. The more involved you can make them the better. She's learning to write his name now. She's been drawing him pictures for months and we've put them in a tub to keep for him. After he gets here, we'll have to continue to make her a huge part of things. She'll be very helpful I think.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Laura, mommy to DD(4) DS(1) Team Pink(due 5-17-2011)

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.