Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Friday?s 5s: In-laws, Family and Friends
Lainey_WebMD_Staff posted:
Friday's 5s are questions that help get to know you. Here are today's 5!

1. Do you get along with your in-laws?

2. Are your in-laws helpful or cause more problems? How?

3. Do you have a family member (not including SO) that you depend on? Who?

4. Is there someone who is always in your business or passing judgment?

5. If you could change one thing in your family, what would it be and why?

My DH's parents are not alive but were very nice.

They were always helpful.

My adult children are always there for us and we are for them.

No, family and friends respect our views.

I would want all my children to live near me. I hate having my son and his family living in another state.
Making a decision to have a child--it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
Elizabeth Stone

butterflygirl_530 responded:
1.) Do you get along with your in-laws? Don't have any :)

2.) Are your in-laws helpful or cause more problems? How?

3.) Do you have a family member (not including SO) that you depend on? Who? Not really.

4. Is there someone who is always in your business or passing judgment? MY DAD!!!!!

5. If you could change one thing in your family, what would it be and why? My dad to not be so nosy and stay out of my personal life. But I do love him though.

maryjade2008 responded:
I get along with my MIL, I don't know my FIL, and my SIL hates me.

My MIL is an amazing help. The other 2 in laws aren't involved.

I depend on my parents a lot, they have been there for my DD & I since the second I found out I was pregnant.

My SIL has a very negative attitude & after living with us for close to a year, she got upset with me for asking her to move out. So, not only is everything my fault, but I'm always doing everything wrong. She even went as far as to say I was blaming her for all my problems early on in pregnancy (previa, afp test coming back positive, etc.) but she knew stress couldn't cause all of that.

I would actually want my SIL & my nieces back in our lives, I know my SO & MIL miss them dearly & I wish her moving out could of happened in a better way.

hisangelface responded:
Absolutely! We just bought them a house a few blocks from ours so that they could be closer.

They are very helpful. They would drop anything for any one of their children or grandchildren. They babysit whenever we need and spend so much time with my boys it's amazing!

I depend on my MIL tremendously. She is so helpful in any way I need.

Sadly, my parents are the ones who meddle constantly. They seem to still think I am the 17 year-old that used to live with them all those years ago.

I wish my parents would respect me and the decisions I am making for my family. I am also hoping they soon realize that being a grandparent is a privilege and not a right.

Sorry for the partial vent. The relationship with my parents is somewhat strained right now...
Me (33) and DH (33). We have wonderful twin boys born May 2008 and are expecting our 3rd son. My EDD is June 13th, 2011. Go BLUE team!

jedmonds12 responded:
1. Do you get along with your in-laws? For all my in-laws except my MIL, absolutely! My relationship with my MIL has been very strained at times and we're still not entirely comfortable around each other.

2. Are your in-laws helpful or cause more problems? How? Most of them are very helpful, loving, supportive. MIL is too in her own way, but then she often causes DF to second-guess decisions that we've made together because it's not how SHE wants it done, which usually results in DF and me having to re-hash the issue.

3. Do you have a family member (not including SO) that you depend on? Who? My mom! She's so excited to have her first grandbaby. She's helped us quite a bit already and will be our daycare when I have to go back to work (thank goodness!).

4. Is there someone who is always in your business or passing judgment? MIL is aaaallllwayys in our business.

5. If you could change one thing in your family, what would it be and why? I'd really like MIL to back off a little and let DF make his own decisions. This is our family we're talking about, mine and his, and she needs to respect that instead of constantly trying to influence him to make decisions how she would like them made. In the same vein, DF needs to be a little more confident in his decisions and quit asking for her advice because usually it just makes him more confused.
Julie (27), DF (34). Our little boy is due 4/18/11!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to hisangelface's response:
Hi Hisangelface,

Vent anytime you want! :)
Making a decision to have a child--it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

hisangelface replied to Lainey_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thanks! It just makes it very hard when it's your own parents. I think it would be so much easier to be having these issues with my in-laws. I guess I just have to deal with it in a way that I am comfortable with because it doesn't look like it's going to get much better any time soon. At least I have my ever growing family to keep me busy!
Me (33) and DH (33). We have wonderful twin boys born May 2008 and are expecting our 3rd son. My EDD is June 13th, 2011. Go BLUE team!

wmatto83 responded:

1. Do you get along with your in-laws? Absolutely I am with them more than my own family they are a great group of people I am so fortunate to have them.

Omg my in laws are so helpful. my MIL is actually in charge of my baby shower and is always there for the mother insight I go to her and hash out problems in my life even when it involves her son my DH...lol. My SILs all three are fantastic they too are heavly involved in my shower and my one SIL paid completely for my honeymoon to Jamaica they treat me wonderful! My FIL is aroudn but divorced from my MIL but has always been very kind to me.
3. Do you have a family member (not including SO) that you depend on? Who? Not really we kind of do things on our own and in our own way.

4. Is there someone who is always in your business or passing judgment? MY MOTHER!!!!! She is a very negative, bitter person and she only tries to pry things out of me so she can twist and turn it and tell the whole world everything I said. The crazy thing is to the average person she is so nice and everyone just think I have lost my mind and can't figure out why I am not close to her or don't speak highly of her. My answer always his be her daugther for a day!

5. If you could change one thing in your family, what would it be and why? I wish i talked to my brother...him and I are not on speaking terms mostly his fault but partly mine but he will not know his only nephew.

All and all my Father is great I can go to him and talk to him about anything after knowing all this now you know why I am so close with my In-laws they are my real family!
Me (27) DH (38) Fury sons Brittanys (both 4) EDD 6/17/2011 BLUE TEAM!!!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff replied to hisangelface's response:
You are welcome Hisangelface, I hope things work out with your family.
Making a decision to have a child--it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

rangerchick responded:
Depends on the person and day. I did not really meet my MIL until 2 years after we married when we moved closer to her and she tends to try to tell me what to do instead of offering an opinion but when we need help she is there. FIL is far away and has step kids and his mom to take care of so he is verbal support only.

2. Are your in-laws helpful or cause more problems? How? Again it just depends on if we ask for help or discuss a problem or if the problem is just brought up to us. This weekend we got MIL to come over with a truck to take some stuff to the dump and she kept telling us to find more stuff and did not listen when I told her if she bagged trash and put it at the curb it would get ripped open by the dog.

3. Do you have a family member (not including SO) that you depend on? Who? My mom helps out with a lot of emotional support. SIL will help with her mom as long as I don't complain too much about MIL

4. Is there someone who is always in your business or passing judgment? Not really. MIL tells us what to do but she really just wants to help and does not understand our situation all the time.

5. If you could change one thing in your family, what would it be and why? Nothing. I don't believe in making anything change so why would I desire a change. We have what we have and we need to rise to the challenge.

sdadkin responded:
We actually get along pretty well.

My inlaws are usually pretty helpful. My MIL loves to shop and she is forever buying things for DS and the new baby. Plus, they have been watching DS for a couple hours 2 or 3 times a week so I can have a break.

I definitely depend on my mom a whole bunch. She is always there for me when I need her and will help me out in anyway she can.

I do have some nosy family members, but they're usually pretty tame. Lol.

I wouldn't want to change anything about my family or my in-laws, but I do wish my parents and grandparents lived just a little bit closer. They only live about 30 mins away, but my in-laws only live 5 mins away and sometimes it's hard to keep everything equal without certain people getting a little jealous of how much time the other gets to spend with DS.
Me (26) SO (26) DS (7/22/09) EDD (5/10/11) Blue Team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Mandy (23) and I am happily (most of the time) married to Brad (25). We have an almost three year old son named Dylan and are very excited ...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.