Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Help Please? BH constantly
ashmlocke posted:
Hi all. I never post on here but frequently check and read all the posts! I am 34 weeks pregnant today and will be induced 5 weeks from today.
I have been having BH contractions on and off for weeks now, however since Monday night they have been so much more frequent. Anywhere from every 30 minutes to every 5-10 minutes. I tried resting, drinking water, etc. I called my OB this morning and they wanted to see me this afternoon. On my way in they called to cancel my appt because my dr got called into emergency surgery and they can't see me again until Friday. I highly doubt they're doing anything like dilating me, but they are just uncomfortable and making doing things difficult!
My back and ribs have been killing me most of this pregnancy, but the added contractions are not helping things.
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm sure there's nothing I can do but wait it out? I have been trying warm baths and what not, nothing seems to stop them. I don't want to go to into the hospital b/c I would feel stupid if it was nothing (I'm sure it is nothing) and also b/c I don't have any health insurance and just delivering this baby is going to cost an arm and a leg. Any advice/experience would be appreciated. Thanks!!

rangerchick responded:
I am 31 weeks and think I am going through the same thing. I get a ache low in my abdomen that can last a few minutes and repeats but never gets worse and if I move it goes away for a while. I had an appt today with my high risk OB and mentioned it to him, I told him I was not sure if it was BH or just the baby shifting a lot very low. He attempted to look at my cervix with the u/s but the baby's head was in the way and he gave up. I figure I will ask my OB next week about it but I really think it is just the baby moving and rolling and running out of room.

ashmlocke replied to rangerchick's response:
Oh man, I'm sorry. I know these are BH though. I had the same with DD. My stomach gets extremely tight and hard for a few seconds before letting up. It just concerns me that they are happening so frequently now since Monday night.

catcarsmom responded:
I can completely relate. I have been having BH everyday since the end of January. My BH hurt and will even come at regular intervals for hours and then just stop. I am 37 weeks now and only a finger tip dialated. My OB hasn't given me any words of wisdom to help with these. I just try to keep my feet elevated and take a warm shower when they get too bad. I'm sorry you are going through this but the end is in sight. Hang in there!

heat4heather responded:
I am also at 34 weeks and have had them for a long time, and as the weeks go by I get more and more each day. I asked my OB, who said it's "good practice" for the uterus and is no risk to the baby at all. They are very uncomfortable, but perhaps we just have to deal with them for 5-6 more weeks!

Whenever I want to complain about the constant BH contractions, I try to tell myself that my uterus has had so much practice that I will definitely have an awesome labor and delivery :)

As long as you don't have other symptoms of early labor, it's probably fine?
-- First baby due 5/10/2011 --

jedmonds12 replied to heat4heather's response:
I agree with the pp; it's just good practice for your uterus! At least, that's what I've been telling myself ;)

I'm 37 weeks and I've had BHC since my 30th week. They were really random before, maybe just a couple per day, but they've gotten more frequent as I've gotten closer to my EDD. They'll still go away (or come less frequently) if I start walking or lay down, so I know they're still BHC and not the real deal.
Julie (27), DF (34). Our little boy is due 4/18/11!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! My name is Jenelle. I love in upstate NY with my wonderful family--I first came to WebMD when I was pregnant with my son in 2007. You can find...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.