Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Birth Story--Lexi is here!!
Jhawkchick posted:
Short: Alexa Belle was born Sunday March 27th at 10:04 a.m. weighing 6lbs 12 oz and 19.5 inches long.

Long: I woke up Saturday morning (3/26) w/ bleeding and watery discharge. I went to the hospital to see if my water broke. They didn't find any amniotic fluid but my blood pressure was elevated. They ran some tests and there was no protein in my urine so I was released about noon. My mom, MIL, DH and I went to the farmers market downtown and then came home for some R&R. I lost my mucus plug around 2:00 that afternoon and contractions began around 4:00 p.m. They were about 12-15 apart and not painful at all. By 6:30 (while picking up take out from Red Robin) my contractions began coming every 5 mins and were getting increasingly painful. It was clear that this could be the real thing. Got home, tried to eat between contractions, then showered and got the hospital around 8:20 p.m. When we got to L&D they told me my BP was still elevated and now there was protein in my urine. Although I hadn't had any issues w/ BP through my whole pregnancy the doctors decided to treat me as a patient w/ ongoing pre-eclampsia just to be safe. I was only about 2.5 cm dilated but they decided to start with the epidural hoping the pain relief (along w/ some other meds) would help bring down my BP. Got the epi around 11-ish. My water broke on its own just after midnight but around 1:30 I could started to feel contractions on my right side again so the anesthesiolgist (sp?) came to give me more epi meds but that along with the combination of BP meds made my BP drop really low (80 something over 50 something) and Lexi's HR dropped into the 50s as well. At that point all the Red Robin came back up (TMI). I had to wear an oxygen mask for several hours but my pressure eventually stabalized and then I was able to get some sleep for a couple hours. The nursing staff also decided to use an internal monitor to keep an eye on Lexi's HR. I ended up getting an internal monitor for my contractions as well. By 6:30 a.m. I was only dialted to about 6cm and the bag of epi meds had gone dry. They had to get another full bag of IV fluids in me before I could get more medication to avoid having the drop in BP again. In the meantime, I had a popcicle and it came back up. Got more epi meds around 7:30--and by that time I was feeling every painful contraction and they were coming about a minute and a half apart. OUCH! Once the meds kicked in again I was able to rest a bit longer. They woke me up at 9:15 to check my cervix and to my surprise I was complete and ready to begin pushing. I had some ice chips while waiting and they came back up as well. Ice chips? Really?? Anyway, the nurse had me push through one contraction to practice. I waited through about 4 more contractions w/out pushing and when the doc arrived I pushed through one more contraction and she was out! So after 14 long hours of labor she decided to come out pretty easily. I had only minimal tearing with a few stitches. I know a lot happened during labor but overall it was a great experience and we are so happy to have our little girl home. Gotta run...she's waking up from a nap! Hope to see you all on the parenting and/or breastfeeding boards.
Me (30), DH (30),  Fur Baby: Nugget(Shih-tzu/poodle, 1), Alexa (Lexi) Belle due 3/30/2011

hisangelface responded:
Congratulations! Sounds like you did an amazing job and so did she!

Enjoy your daughter!
Me (33) and DH (33). We have wonderful twin boys born May 2008 and are expecting our 3rd son. My EDD is June 13th, 2011. Go BLUE team!

osamuel08 responded:
Congrats on a job well done and getting her a few days early!! Sorry to hear about all the bp issues. That can be scary. But it sounds like both you and baby did a great job Amazing how much that epi can help if working properly, eh? I hope you continue to recover nicely and we will catch up soon on the parenting/bf boards.

Jen (35) DH (35) DS (5) DS (2) edd 4/7/11 blue team

mindy48875 responded:
Yay! Congratulations! How exciting! I had the same problem you had with my last labor. Not the rise in blood pressure - but the vomitting everytime I'd try to get a little something in me - even ice chips! It is not fun when you are trying to deal with labor pains. But it sure does have a happy ending doesn't it? Congrats again!
Me(28)DH(29),DS(3)unnecesarian,DS(2)VBAC! Baby 3 due 5/24/11-another vbac!!!!

Lainey_WebMD_Staff responded:
Congratulations Jhawkchick!

Glad everything went well despite your high BP. You can still stay with us or graduate to Baby's First Year , or Parenting!
Making a decision to have a child--it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. Elizabeth Stone

wmatto83 responded:
YAY congrats!!! good for you! it sounds like one heck of a labor but sounds like you did one heck of a job!
Me (27) DH (38) Fury sons Brittanys (both 4) EDD 6/17/2011 BLUE TEAM!!!

rosecole responded:
Congrats on your baby girl!!! I've been waiting for your birth story! Glad everything went well once they got your BP under control.

On a side note.....Our Jayhawks sure do suck when they are playing a team they think they are going to beat easily. At least they lost to a team like VCU and not a Duke. Now I'm cheering for Butler!!
Nicole(30) DH Nate(29) DS1 Luke(4) DS2 Alex(2) 3 EDD 3-21-11 One Boston Terrier Furbaby Jack(5) Yellow Team!!! It's a BOY!! Cade Owen was Born March 17, 2011 @ 3:57pm weighing 8lbs!

Jackie86401 responded:
Congrats!!!! Glad to hear she at least came out easy lol!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

"Single" Mother to a 1 yr Chihuahua, but will be co-parenting my LO with the BSD. Was quite a shocker when I found out I was pregnant, but k...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.