Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Diarrhea and vomiting... symptoms of labor or flu?
J3nnif3r8 posted:
I am 36 weeks pregnant today. I went into preterm labor at 32 weeks, which they stopped, and have been on modified bed rest since then. The doctor told me I could deliver anytime after 35 weeks. Last night, around 11:30PM, I started having awful bouts of diarrhea and threw up everything I had eaten. I only vomited once but now it's 11:44AM and I still have diarrhea. I couldn't sleep because my stomach kept getting really hard each time I got up to use the bathroom, but it doesn't feel like contractions. Is this my body's way of cleansing before labor or do I have a stomach bug? Has anyone had this happen to them before labor?

aleshacakes responded:
I didn't have it happen with my first baby at all but I have heard that it is common to have happen when you start early labor, the flu is also really bad this year so it could just be that too. Having diarrhea can also make you contract so maybe even if it isn't actually early labor you are having right now doesn't mean that it won't turn into it! :) Good luck!!

An_216810 responded:
Unfortunately I know from experience that throwing up and having diarrhea can give you some wicked contractions. What you are having are braxton hicks contractions. May be a precursor to the real deal, may not. 12 hrs of tummy problems seems a lot to be your body just getting ready for labor. Be sure to keep hydrated and get some rest. If just plain water makes you sick try something like gatorade or some soda. Good luck.

ethmeh responded:
I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. I was up all night with diarrhea and threw up a few times. Mine was due to food poisoning. The more dehydrated I got, the more contractions I had. Then my stomach started cramping really bad. I had to go to the hospital to get fluids. Not fun when your 34 weeks pregnant!

J3nnif3r8 responded:
Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better now. Thank goodness it was only a 24 hour thing. Maybe it's a sign of labor, maybe not. I'll keep you updated!

rangerchick responded:
I was sick on and off for about 4 days last week and contractions started because I was dehydrated so try to keep up the fluids and go to hospital to get an IV if needed.

Spotlight: Member Stories

essam ali 34 years. faculty of masscommunication. cairi univ 92. have a small office for adv ., and propaganda . separated . looking for a good widdow...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.