Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Concerned
zabroza86 posted:
Hello ladies, I'm in need of some advice. I have read previous posts regarding babies weight from the sonogram.

I had my sonogram (finally saw him again) and my OB said he weighs about 5 lbs 1 oz, I was more giddy to see my LO, but of course the questions/concerns didn't start coming to my mind until about a week later. I just hit 32 weeks and I'm concerned he is too big (in my opinion) but my OB said that he is healthy and she doesn't have any concern.

So I'm wondering, within these next 8 weeks he is "supposed" to gain 1/2 a pound a week, so that's going to put him around 9 lbs (which is still healthy). Do I have anything to worry about? Or am I just freaking myself out? I want to carry him the whole 40 weeks, but I don't want to have any trouble (him and I) during delivery.

Thanks in advance,
-JoAnna-

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I wouldn't worry about the weight. It's just an estimate based on the size of the baby. They estimated DS would be between 6.5 lbs and 7 lbs and he was 7 lbs 9 oz. I've heard of labor being induced early due to a large baby only to have the baby weigh at least a pound less than estimated.

sitnooc responded:
I think the 1/2 lb per week is only during the last few weeks, like 3 or 4. I wouldn't worry about it. I think my little guy was weighing about the same at 32 weeks. Try not to stress about it, and remember, their estimates are usually high!

zabroza86 responded:
I'll keep that in mind, I'm just worried that's all. Maybe I'll ask my OB next time when I go in. I don't know why its so hard for me to ask questions, I expect my sisters to know everything.

Thanks for your advice though :)

hisangelface responded:
The weight estimate can be off by a pound either way. When I was pregnant with the twins, they had them measuring at 6.5 lbs each at 34 weeks. They were born at almost 38 weeks weighing 7lbs 1oz and 6 lbs 1oz. So, it's obviously impossible that my younger son lost weight and that my older son only gained a 1/2 pound in almost a month!

I wouldn't worry at all that he will be too big. If your OB is not concerned you shouldn't be either.

Congrats on your son being so healthy!
Me (33) and DH (33). We have wonderful twin boys born May 2008 and are expecting our 3rd son. My EDD is June 13th, 2011. Go BLUE team!

ssteinbuch0048 responded:
LURKING....I just wanted to chime in. My doctor was estimating my son to be about 8 lbs. when he induced me a week early. My son was over 10 lbs. so I wouldn't worry too much about his size, those are just estimates.
Stacy 31, DH 32, DD(Paige Aspen)13, DD(Pearl Madison)10, New LO - Alexander Gregory - Due March 1, 2011 YAY BLUE TEAM!!!

carolinasu8 responded:
I know you're worried - I am too - they measured my boy at 6.5 lbs at 37 weeks and I'm 5'2" so I'm a little worried about delivering a big boy! But like everyone else has said, my ob wasn't worried about it. I'm scheduled for another u/s next Friday even though the last time I went in the doc said he didn't think he was measuring that big. Just hang in there, relax and remember it's all worth it in the end!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me and my husband are living in Amarillo, TX at the moment. We're expecting our first child, a girl, on Sept. 26th. We're both excited and sc...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.