Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Induce Questions
zabroza86 posted:
Just hit 38 weeks and my OB said she would induce me at 39 weeks if he doesn't come on his own. Well my mom doesn't think it would benefit me if I get induced at 39 weeks because he isn't "ready". I know everybody says that the weight from the u/s aren't "exact" but why would my OB say would induce then and not let him come on his own. My OB said that he should weigh about 8lbs 8oz but if I wait a couple more days until I'm EXACTLY 40 weeks he shouldn't grow that much more right? THEN if he doesn't make his appearance then...I "could" wait until my birthday 6/19, what is another 5 days ;-)

As you can tell I am beyond stressed out. *pulls at hair*

Any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.
-JoAnna & Kaleb

jlenn responded:
Last year the doc was worried about the size of my baby, too -- they figured at my size & shape I wouldn't be able to do more than 9 pounds, and the last u/s made it seem like I would have a *big* baby. As it turned out, she came 10 days early anyway -- but was much smaller than the u/s had estimated!! She was just 7 lbs 11 oz. If we'd gone by the u/s, she would have been well over 8 at that point.

Guess what I am saying is, the u/s can be off for sizing, and babies don't always grow at a uniform rate in the womb anyway.

On the other hand, at 39 weeks, you really are full term. I don't think there is risk to the baby. The issue would be that induced labors are more likely to be longer and a bit more difficult than ones that start naturally. Maybe talk to your doctor again -- if you want things to get going on their own, let her know that, and push for it. See what your OB thinks is really safe to do. Sometimes I think OBs just get in the habit of intervening -- it's what they are trained to do, after all. But intervention isn't always necessary!

zabroza86 replied to jlenn's response:
I'm concerned with his weight because at the moment he "weighs" 7lb 14oz, my OB said that given my size (full figured) I shouldn't have a problem with delivering a "big" baby. I haven't gained much weight, so I "assume" that its all my LO (minus the placenta and fluid). (Background info - I weighed 6lbs 5 oz and BSD weighed 9lbs 1oz, so we KNOW LO is going to be a BIG baby).

My next appointment isn't until Friday and this time she will check to see if I have any progress and hopefully I'll see if she can strip my membranes (or whatever its called). Sorry I'm a newbie at this. I'll just play it by ear and when my LO makes his appearance, then he makes his appearance. I'll stop putting pressure on my LO. *pats belly*

I'm just nervous to have my LO, making things difficult for me to delivery and not to mention go through a c-section; although it would add to my scar collection =P.

Thanks =)

jlenn replied to zabroza86's response:
So a midwife for an earlier pregnancy suggested to me lots of sex, because the prostaglandin in semen can sometimes work to soften up the cervix. And raspberry leaf tea. And as much walking as you can manage, to let gravity do its work. Not that any of this really works to get things going -- but if you're looking for ways to channel your nervous energy about when Baby will come, all of that can't hurt. :-)

zabroza86 replied to jlenn's response:
Well I have been walking around instead of taking our elevators; but when it comes to sex...I think I rather just deal with my risque dreams.

Rubysrred responded:
Well I was induced at 40 weeks because my doctor said the baby was around 9lbs but when she was born she was 9lbs 12oz so I am glad I induced eventhough I wanted her to come on her own I had a hard time getting her out as it was but if I had waited I might not have been able to and that could of resulted in a C/S. So don't let what everyone says even if it is family sway whatever you decide to do, the decision is yours to make and it should be based on what you feel is best for you and the baby! Good luck!!!
Me (28), DH (28), DS1 (10), DS2 (7) and LO EDD 5/24/2011! It's a Girl!!!

Olivetre replied to zabroza86's response:
I was induced at 371/2 weeks with DD#1. The u/s showed her to weigh 6lbs 5 oz but she was 7lbs 3 oz. The u/s was done the day before and was induced due to low fluid the next day. Now I'm waiting to see what happens with DD#2. I'm 33 1/2 weeks today.

linnylou217 replied to Olivetre's response:
my u/s for my son at 37 weeks said he was 8.5 pounds and that we would induce at 39 weeks he could be 9.5-10pounds. my son was born at 39 weeks weighing in at 7lbs. 6ozs. it is all about the tech doing the measurements and the baby moving, they are not 100% effective.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS#1 11/06, DS#2 - ^Jeremiah^ - had Anencephaly, a severe neural tube defect - Born 8/14/09, Died 8/17/09, M...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful