Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
GSB
Meg77303 posted:
I need some advice..I went to the doctor today for my reg, weekly vist,I am 37 weeks and been having all kinds of pains thru out my whole pregnancy..Today I found out I have this GBS..My doctor has gave me a script to give to the nurse if I start going into labor and go to the hospital..It is for the med drip to start..But he is also worried that I might have preeclampsia.My legs,face,feet,neck and hands are so swelled up it hurts to walk..I go back next week and they are going to do a sono to check to make sure everything is good there...

jlenn responded:
Well, don't worry about GBS. It's really common, it doesn't really harm you. And it can come and go at any time, which is why they only screen for it towards the end of pregnancy. As long as you take the meds when you go into labor, there should be no issue for your baby (GBS is only a problem if you have it when you go into labor and you don't get any meds -- then it can be passed to the baby, and it can be dangerous for baby. But your meds will handle it).

Preeclampsia is a bigger issue. That can be dangerous for you and baby if it's ignored -- but, your OB is checking it all out. The good news is that at 37 weeks, you really are at term, so if the doc feels there is any danger at all to your baby, you can be induced now without worry.

reb_hun responded:
just had my baby and i was gbs positive as well, my labor went by so fast that they forgot to/ ran out of time to run my meds for it. apparently they have new rules or whatever for if that happens, they now aren't too worried unless your water has been broken for 18 hours or more or you are under 37 weeks. they say unless your baby starts acting differently that there isn't anything to be worried about. she seems to be doing just fine, she was born on june 1st.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My first LO is due March 4, 2010! My hubby and I found out we were pregnant on our 3 year wedding anniversary after TTC for 6 months. The pregnancy ha...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.