Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Ultrasounds.
hisxforeverx61408 posted:
I was wondering how many ultrasounds you ladies have had so far in the 3rd trimester.

I had one at 32w 3d to check on placenta location. my little girl was already head down & weighed 3 lbs 14 oz.

I have been reading you ladies posts about 35, 36, or 37 week ultrasound.

I'm currently 35w 2d & have my next OB app. when I'll be 35w 6d.

Do you think my OB will schedule for me to have another ultrasound then?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

kell0613 responded:
I really think that every OB is different.
For example, my Doc only gives 1 ultra sound- the 18-20 week one - unless you are high risk or develop issues. So, I've only had 1 so far (which was in the 2nd tri, obviously), and don't anticipate getting to see our Little Miss again until she makes her appearance.
It might also depend on if the OB does the u/s themselves or not - my Doc doesn't do hers, I had to go to another office.
You could always call and ask the nurses at the office if you'll be scheduled for another one or not.
Me(26), DH(32), Baby 1- It's a Girl! EDD 9/12/11

hisxforeverx61408 replied to kell0613's response:
my OB doesn't do the ultrasounds himself, I have to walk across the hall. I do think that I will call & ask the hospital office if I will be scheduled for another one or not.

The main reason why I asked is because I have read online that most OBs give a 36 week ultrasound. My mother in law will be coming in town next week because it's my fiance's birthday. She has been dying to be able to go to an ultrasound with us. Next week I will be 36 weeks & was hoping maybe I could get an ultrasound then & she could be with us.
Me(Crystal)-18 DF(Michael)-26 EDD:7/26/11 PINK TEAM!!

Olivetre replied to hisxforeverx61408's response:
I had two so far...week 12 and 28. With DD1 I had three same weeks but also 1 at 37 because she thought my fluid level was low. After the last ultrasound, they scheduled me for induction the next day and had her that afternoon. So far my OB has not ordered another ultrasound. They may not do one unless there are complications.

ashandchad responded:
Im 33 weeks today :) but so far all together I have had 6 ultrasounds. I haven't had any in the 3rd trimester yet but I am supposed to have one to check the growth but not sure when. I am considered high risk though, thats the reason for so many.
Me (26), DH (27), First Baby-Hadley Faith!!! C-Section August 4th

snh571 responded:
I have had 9 so far with 1 more scheduled the week before I have a c-section scheduled. I am also high risk and over 35. At the last one baby was 6 lbs 12 oz at 35 weeks 1 day.

marchbabee replied to snh571's response:
I've had 3, but none in the 3rd trimester. Mine won't do one unless there's a reason (ie: I'm measuring big/small, position, etc). I would love to see my little man once more, but alas, I'll just have to wait for him to make his grand entrance :)

mmmstar8806 responded:
I had more than normal. I had one at 10w to confirm how far along I was...I'd skipped a couple months of my cycle.
I had the normal one at 20w, then 30, 34, and 37. (the rest were to keep an eye on his kidneys and fluid levels) it was practically the same thing with my first as well.
Had I had a normal pregnancy, I would only have had the confirmation U/S, the 20w, and then one around 37/38w to check fluid levels and baby's position.
Me (23), DF (22), DS-Carter Egan (1), BFP 11/3, EDD 7/4/11 C-Section on 6/28!!! Blue Team-Mason Reed!!

An_216863 replied to mmmstar8806's response:
I was lurking...and I had to post. My ds 1 is Carter he's 6 and his little brother my ds2 is Mason! Mase is 3... So good luck with the boys & I love the name choice :)

mmmstar8806 replied to An_216863's response:
that's awesome! there was also another mom on here who gave birth a few weeks ago who had a carter then a mason. great minds think alike!
Me (23), DF (22), DS-Carter Egan (1), BFP 11/3, EDD 7/4/11 C-Section on 6/28!!! Blue Team-Mason Reed!!

lenono97 responded:
I have only had two, and that's one more then I expected. I am not high risk like some of the women here. The first was for dating purposes and the second was the 20 week standard ultrasound. I really don't expect anymore. I guess every clinic/OB is different. I also only had one with my DD.

mommyin2011 responded:
I have only had 2 u/s so far...my 1st was when I had my first doc. visit to confirm pregnancy (10 wks) and my 2nd was at my 20 wk growth check...I have had my own u/s done at a private location, but per my doctor, many ins. co. only pay for the absolute min. and I have a PPO and only had 2 u/s...I don't think they will do another one either :(
Me (29) DH (30) 3 fur babies - 1st baby: EDD: 7/31/11 - BLUE TEAM!!

jlenn replied to hisxforeverx61408's response:
I didn't think they do multiple ultrasounds as a routine matter -- there needs to be a medical reason, like if they are not sure of the baby's size, or location, or placenta position, or amount of fluid, etc. (Many insurance plans pay for just one ultrasound, in the second trimester, as a routine thing. Anything more than that has to be for a medical purpose.)

With my first two babies, I had just one ultrasound, each at about the 18 week mark. With my third, I had 3 -- I was over 35 and had gestational diabetes, so they needed to keep checking size and fluid levels. With this one, I am going for my 3rd next week -- still over 35 ;-) and they are worried about how big he is getting (might need to have a c-section, he was already an estimated 8 lbs last week, at 37 weeks... ooof). If not for this baby being Babyzilla though I would not have had more than 1, even at my "advanced maternal age." ;-)

An_216864 responded:
I've had a ton, but only because I'm high risk due to age and a previous preterm delivery. In my first pregnancy I had one at 8 weeks and one at 20 weeks. It's possible there would have been a 3rd one as some have mentioned later in the 3rd trimester, but I didn't make it to 35 weeks. This time around I had one every 2 weeks starting at 16 weeks and ending at 32 weeks. It was a vaginal ultrasound to check my cervix and make sure it was closed, but they always did my tummy so I could take a peek at my munchkin. They stop at 32 because as the baby grows, it gets harder to make out the whole baby anyway. From 33 weeks until I deliver, I'm getting an ultrasound once a week to check my amniotic fluid--this is due to my age.

If you're not high risk or have a medical reason, it's not common to have more than 2 or 3 ultrasounds, but it is possible that there is a routine one late in pregnancy to check fluid.

Allaya9 responded:
I was told by my doctor that I would not have anymore after the 18th week one. I had one at 7wks, 10wks, 13wks and 18. The last two were level 2 since I am of advanced maternal age, but since my risk for abnormalities was extremely low, baby, placenta and fluid looked healthy they see no need for more u/s. Kinda makes me sad that I won't see him again until he is born.
Me(36) DH(37) EDD 9/10/11 Blue Team! Our first! Lochlan Sidney

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have an 11 yr old son and i just gave birth 2/26/10 to my baby girl. (both were a little over 10lbs at birth) it was an amazing experience and i pos...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.