Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Hey Ladies! Wondering if you could help..
MikesBabyMama816 posted:
I had 2 surgeries on the left breast to remove solid benign masses when I was 19 and 22, I'm now 27.

Breastfeeding my first child almost 3 years ago was a no-go on the left side as it seemed the milk just wouldn't fully come out of the nipple. I stopped trying to breastfeed a week and a half after she was born because my right side just couldn't compensate for not being able to use the left.

Have any of you experienced this or know someone who has? I'm trying to at least supplemental breastfeed this next baby at first as I did with the last one so she can have my antibodies too, but I'm really hoping to make it more of a successful thing this time around where bottle feeding can be supplemental if anything.

Any advice, insight or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

snh571 responded:
My mother tried to breast feed my sister, unfortunately one breast just didn't work, it only produced salt water. After about a week she did the same as you did and gave up.

hmrm1020 responded:
Try talking to a Lactation Consultant at your hospital, but I know when my soon to be 5 year old was born and she had a large amount of medical issues so I really wanted breastfeeding to work. She couldn't latch properly and eat because of her low muscle tone so I had to pump and bottle feed, however, the LC suggested that I drink tons of water and drink mother's milk tea to help with milk production. She had also said something about Fenugreek (sp) not sure about that though. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello All! My name is Marie and I am 25 years old... My husband and I have been married since May 2011... and got pregnant around end of June beginni...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.