Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
All this pain and no progression? I don't understand...
QPBarnes posted:
--formally known as opsiedaisy---

I had my 36 week appointment today (friday july 15) and given the pain I've been in for weeks, especially since last friday, I just KNEW that when I got checked today I would have some dilation and effacement. But I was wrong. It was nothing, I'm still 1 cm thus unchanged since 28 weeks. I don't get it.. what in the world is the point of having all of this pain from false labor and pressure in my lower abdomen... pressure in the vagina and pain so intense in my back and sides that I have been perscribed percocet --- what is the point of all the pain if it isn't doing ANYTHING to my cervix?? I swear I'm almost at my breaking point. I can't imagine having to go all the way to 40+ weeks this way. Next week I'll be term and maybe then I'll get lucky and something will happen but I'm not so hopeful anymore given all the pain I've been in is clearly in vain.

I keep telling myself I want the "natural" progression to happen.. where labor starts on its own but I'm really starting to consider asking if a planned c-section can be scheduled just so I can get it over with. I sound like a wuss, right? Induction isn't an option in Maryland until at least 29 weeks with a healthy pregnancy but at 37 they will do a c-section... I just don't know if I can make it.

I pray everynight that labor starts, that my water breaks.. I don't want to keep popping percocets just to be able to get some sleep and relief but I know me having all this pain, that amounts to me being stressed out isn't good for my little girl either. I just don't understand why my body hasn't responded to any of the "practice" contractions and why I have not dialated any. There's SO much pain... yet all for nothing??

Take the Poll

Just want to know your thoughts. Would you wait for labor to progress on its own or opt for quick relief?
  • Hold on, you can do this even if you go past 40 weeks.
  • Next week, schedule a C-Section, why wait if you're in pain?
  • Give it until at least 29 weeks, then induce if you have to.
vote
View Poll Results

snh571 responded:
I've been in your shoes for weeks now. I would rather opt for a c-section than induction. I was induced with DS and we both almost died durring delivery. In Missouri where I am they will only induce if there is a valid medical reason, period. A c-section can not be done till 39 weeks with out a valid medical reason. So even though I lost my mucus plug almost 3 weeks ago and LO's head is so big that she can't fit into my pelvis to put enough pressure on my cervix to dialte. I am stuck dealing with it till Monday when I hit 39 weeks 1day. I was told earlyer this week the I will not go into full labor on my own. Eventhough I've been in early labor for a week, the dr won't help me out till Monday, because I'm not dialating.

lenono97 responded:
I think you can do it! Just gotta hang in there. Good luck!

sweets1988 responded:
its is not wussing out at all! hun if your in pain go for what feels right for you. and your right stressing yourself out does nothing good for either of you. i would say if its what you want, call for a c-section. your the mom and the boss so do what you want ^_^

hmrm1020 responded:
I am sorry that you are dealing with so much pain...I am also in Maryland (whereabouts are you?) I know that the dr has stripped my membranes twice and nothing has really happened. I have only dialated to 3cm 1 cm a week, at that rate I will be here until August and my feet were so SWOLLEN yesterday that I am getting nervous.

camsmom11 responded:
I feel your pain honey. I will be 38 weeks Tuesday and have not dialted any. I am still working and I can tell you I know how you feel. The pain is unbearable. They did an ultrasound on me Tuesday and he already weighs 8.5 pounds! I understand the vagina pressure too. Everytime I sit down to pee it feels like I have to push. They seem not to be too worried about it though. I live in Alabama and not to sure on the rules here. I wish you the best of luck.

QPBarnes replied to hmrm1020's response:
I'm in the DC metro area (P.G. County) planning to deliver at Holy Cross. The doctor has stripped your membranes twice?? how does that happen????

QPBarnes replied to camsmom11's response:
See, that's nuts.. your little one is already close to 9lbs, what in the world are they waiting for?? Did you hear about that baby born in texas last friday (july 8) that weighed 16lbs??? A newborn that weighed 16lbs!!!! I just feel at some point common sense has to reign supreme.

QPBarnes replied to snh571's response:
and that makes absolutley NO sense to me at all. if they already know and can tell you that you for certain will NOT go into full labor on your own, then I have a really hard time understanding why you must wait until monday for the 39 1 day mark. that sounds so crazy. so, you not being able to go into labor on your own isn't considered a necessary medical reason?? what kind of foolishness is this? your baby has been past ready and certainly can survive outside the womb, it's just nuts to me that you have to wait and are made to be in pain. i really feel that just as each pregnancy is unique, the doctors should handle situations based on each womans own needs.

hmrm1020 replied to QPBarnes's response:
I am in the Cecil County area. When the dr checks for dialation I guess he "sweeps the cervix" and it is supposed to help with things, but this time around with this baby it hasn't done anything. I can not believe that I am still here, since this is my 5th child and all of my other children came early like around 37 weeks and have been fine.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a Mommy to a beautiful 16 month old little girl with another princess on the way who is due in May! I am also a Stepmother to 2 precious little b...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.