Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Bonding With Baby Before Birth
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
There has been so much talk about bonding with you baby while still in the womb. Does playing music for your LO before they arrive help?

This article, Bonding With Baby Before Birth , tells us, "Studies have shown that babies -- who begin hearing by the 18th week of pregnancy -- prefer classical music (Mozart and Vivaldi are good standbys), or any music that mimics the mother's heart rate of 60 beats per minute (lullabies and New Age music, for example).

That article shares a beautiful experience of a dad writing a jingle he'd sing to the baby in the belly and how it would then calm the baby after birth.

What experience have you mommas had? Do you notice a difference in how calm your LO is when there is music playing? What else do you do to bond with your baby?

~Andie
Baby in the tummy, it's all up to mommy. But once the baby's had, it's bragging rights for Dad

AJ__Sparrow responded:
We never tried to play music TO any of our babies, but this makes me think of my first pregnancy, in which DH and I listened to a lot of loud Billy Joel music, every time we drove anywhere in the car. After DD was born, we discovered that when we were driving and she was upset, we could play Billy Joel to her, and she'd often settle right down and fall asleep.
Me, DH, DD (4/15/04), DS (1/29/08), and Number 3 (EDD 8/9/11. It's a girl!)

vanessagw23 responded:
my hubbie is a DJ, so the headphones are always stretched across my belly, for this one and our DD. we played all different kinds of music, from Sinatra and Dean Martin, Bob Marley, Vivaldi, to Billie Holiday, and some techno too! After our first DD was born, he'd put her in the baby carrier and mix records and it would put her right to sleep.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to vanessagw23's response:
See! I knew it. That's so cool to hear how the music really set your LO's off to sleep.

Vanessa, I can just see you sitting there with a pair of headphones straddling your belly! LOL You should post a picture!!

Has anyone else done any different kind of in-belly bonding? Any dads pleasantly surprised when their LO calmed at the sound of their voice?
Baby in the tummy, it's all up to mommy. But once the baby's had, it's bragging rights for Dad

kell0613 responded:
This is my first, so I don't know what will happen after birth....but EVERY time the Katy Perry song "ET" plays on the radio, LO starts kicking up a storm. I think she must be able to really hear the bass or something (I don't usually have the radio very loud at all) and I think the beat of the song must be comforting (or annoying!)
Me(26), DH(32), Baby 1- It's a Girl! EDD 9/12/11

missashley1010 replied to kell0613's response:
hahaha my BF always listens to the music super loud in the car and this little guy goes nuts lol I always tell him turn it down I think my little guy is like mom what in the heck is going on out there. We have a big subwoofer so we have bass!! lol

cl1234 responded:
Even though I have a terrible voice I like to sing 'Hey Soul Sister' with the song on loud and she usually seems to stop kicking as if she's listening. But if I listen to techno or funky songs she kicks up a storm!

cl1234 replied to cl1234's response:
Oh and 'What a Wonderful World' on the headphones to my belly calms her.

Hillbilly_Granny responded:
I'm a 56-year old woman with 17 children (no multiple births) and 11 grandchildren with #12 expected sometime within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Before my children were born, in the later part of my 2nd trimester, I read to them newspaper articles, books for very young children, and I played music for them ... country, soft rock, classical, gospel, and bluegrass which seemed to be their favorite music.

None of them seemed to like lullabyes, acid rock, rap, or opera because they kicked like crazy (hard) as if they were saying "turn it off, mommy, I don't like this crap." When I put on music that they seemed to enjoy, especially bluegrass music, they all quieted down tremendously.

I brought several books for very young children to the hospital with me when I went into labor then soon after they were born, I read to them and I continued this after they were discharged from the hospital. (The Hungry Caterpillar was their favorite.)

I contribute the above mentioned routine to their love of reading, their faster than normal development (usually one to two months ahead of schedule), and their overall intelligence. I also contribute the above mentioned routine to the strong bond that each of them have with me even now that they're grown.

Our 27-year old daughter did the same thing when she was pregnant with her daughter who is now 5 years old and experienced the same result as I did. For this reason, she is doing the same thing during this pregnancy with her 2nd daughter who I expect to arrive probably within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

After the baby is born, I strongly recommend that mommy and daddy spend as much time with your baby as possible, talk to your baby, show your baby a lot of affection (hugs & kisses), put your baby in their infant seat then put it in a safe location in your kitchen while you're cooking (somewhere that you won't accidentally trip over your baby), and explain to your baby what you are doing and why.

Remember: Babies (including babies born with Downs Syndrome) are NOT born stupid. They understand a lot more than you think they do.

I carried my baby everywhere that I went in my house so they could watch everything that I was doing and I talked to them while they were awake. If they fell asleep in their infant seat, I let them sleep. They all seemed to prefer sleeping in their infant seat rather than in their crib so during the daytime, they were in their infant seat watching me do my housework. I also spent a lot of time holding my baby and letting him or her snuggle their face into my neck.

Allow and strong encourage older siblings to help you care for your baby. Even 2-year old children should be strongly encouraged to spend time with the baby ... talking to it, feed the baby from a bottle with close supervision from mom or dad, wiping formula off the baby's chin, fastening the tape on the diapers, and more. This helps tremendously for the older siblings to establish a bond with the baby which is extremely important.

Do not be afraid to leave your baby with responsible adult relatives occasionally for a few hours occasionally so you don't "burn out." Feeding a baby every 2 to 4 hours and changing their diaper can be a real strain on a mommy and daddy. It is crucial for you to keep yourself in the best health possible so you can provide the best possible care for your baby.

The most important thing to remember is Have Fun With Your Baby. Babies are the most precious gift that God can send to a couple. Enjoy every minute because children grow incredibly fast. They're tiny helpless infants one minute, then they're attending school & before you know it your children are grown with babies of their own. (It seems like just yesterday that all 17 of our children were tiny helpless infants.)

klynshoe responded:
Lurking from 2nd tri - will be moving to 3rd tri next week!

I have a hard time bonding with baby. I feel silly talking to my belly and even rubbing my belly feels stupid to me. This is my first and I just don't feel any desire to sing songs or play music. Is this just me or does anyone else feel this way? I don't feel the need to mother yet - no instinct has kicked in. Any suggestions how to combat this or should I not worry about it?

I am taking a hypnobirthing class and the instructor highly recommended AGAINST putting headphones against my belly. She said that its way too loud and disruptive to the natural sounds of the womb that the baby is accustomed to and could cause stress. She said remember that the baby is encased in water and liquid magnifies sounds tremendously (like when you're in a swimming pool you hear things very loudly). Just food for thought...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I live in New Castle County, DE with my husband and we're expecting our 1st baby in October. I am so excited to meet my little baby girl.

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.