Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
I think I'm nesting...
AJ__Sparrow posted:
So I'm 39 weeks tomorrow, and had been thinking that the nesting instinct completely missed me this time around, since I've had so very little energy lately, even to do the things that I need to do all the time, like make dinner and wash the dishes. But yesterday morning I woke up with an intense desire to clean my house. I cleaned both my children's rooms, and then my own bedroom after they went to bed. It took me literally all day, and I only took breaks for meals. Today I am feeling a little less intense in my desire to clean, but am still looking forward to getting the kitchen and bathroom cleaned, and the living room if I have time.

This HAS to be nesting, right? My husband was amazed at my energy level yesterday. I was too, for that matter. Compared to the lump on the couch that I have been lately, running around accomplishing things was just great! My question, though, is if this actually means something. I looked it up online and it says that nesting can occur around the 5th month of pregnancy onward, so I guess there's a big range. My OB said that if I don't go into labor this week, she'll induce me, since she doesn't want me to go past my due date. So I really want to go into labor on my own this week. I have trouble believing it will happen, but my amazing urge to clean everything in sight yesterday did give me a bit of hope that something might be happening (I think I may have started losing my mucus plug yesterday too, which I almost didn't mention because ew, doesn't that sound nasty? But I looked that up and apparently there's a big range for that too...).

Anyone have experience on this? I don't remember having a big burst of cleaning before my first baby was born (although I did sort and re-sort her clothes over and over and over...), and my second one was induced a month early. I really want to deliver this week and avoid induction...
Me, DH, DD (4/15/04), DS (1/29/08), and Number 3 (EDD 8/9/11. It's a girl!)

Amy_n_Matt responded:
Sorry - I have no idea. I'm generally very interested in keeping things clean and organized, but I recently realized it's extended way more than usual and I'm only 31 weeks. I kept dismissing my husband as "joking" about nesting after beyond my normal cleaning, I overhauled the nursery (this is our 3rd, so we already had something ready), reorganized & scrubbed the basement, and began a project to clean & repaint our sunroom. It wasn't until I found myself scrubbing out the china hutch that I turned around to DH and literally yelped "I'm nesting!!" He thought it was funny.

But I hope for your sake that your recent burst of energy means it's just a day or two at most!!

earleyml1012 responded:
Very easily could be nesting.

I had a spurt last week and I'm only 28.5 weeks!!! I think it was b/c the weather finally wasn't killer and I needed to clean out the nursery room, so DH can start putting the crib together.

klynshoe responded:
I'm sorry but why does your doctor not want you to go past your due date? Typically doctors won't induce until you are TWO WEEKS past your due date as a healthy pregnancy is anywhere from 38 - 42 weeks. I would highly recommend you question this.

Amy_n_Matt replied to klynshoe's response:
Very true, but there are reasons they will say no to going 2 weeks longer. My doctors have actually said the same thing 'cause I historically have had large babies. Both my children were born a little more than a week *before* their due dates, and were 8.5 lbs and 9.5 lbs respectively anyway. It wasn't due to gestational diabetes or any other complication, it's just apparently the way my husband and I grow 'em. :D So . . . I've been told I will be closely monitored for how big I, therefore the baby, is getting as I get closer to my due date, and that if necessary, I will be induced by my due date, not 2 weeks after.

And since I know babies typically gain a lb per week at that point, I am completely okay with not trying to deliver a 13 lb infant!!!!!!

steckie98 replied to klynshoe's response:
Physicians around here will not let you go 2 weeks past your due date. One is the max. The longer the baby stays in past your due date, the higher the risk of complications.

AJ__Sparrow replied to klynshoe's response:
I don't really know why she said that she didn't want me to go past my due date, since she didn't say. But I expect it may have something to do with the fact that I have chronic hypertension, which has been closely monitored throughout my pregnancy. It's been under control and all NSTs and BPPs have come back great, but I expect she doesn't want me to go too long for that reason.
Me, DH, DD (4/15/04), DS (1/29/08), and Number 3 (EDD 8/9/11. It's a girl!)

missashley1010 responded:
I have a huge erge to nest but I dont wanna start im moving into my two bedroom apartment in 10 days!!!!! I wanna save all my energy for the new apartment and cleaning the old one! Oh man I cant wait till the 15th!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have an amazing son, Colin (07/08/09) Husband, Ryan who is probably the best dad in the world, sometimes I just watch him with Colin and it amazes m...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.