Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Polyhydramnios anyone?
1WaterLily posted:
I'm in week 37, and I may have polyhydramnios - aka more amnionic fluid than normal. Anyone have any experience with this? I am not diabetic, or carrying multiples, and the early tests I took for Downs made it seem very unlikely that baby has it- anyone ever just have it for no reason at all, and have a perfectly healthy baby in the end?

noelle1225 responded:
I've read about this as being something that makes a baby easier to turn... ie you have to watch your posture and body mechanics late in pg so as not to flip them breech, but I've never looked into the reasons, etc. I will say that you might want to ask your OB, if it's an OB you are seeing, what your level was and what the "normal" level is. US's are notoriously bad at getting spot on measurements. They are more for ball parking any given thing. You might find that you were just barely over the normal range and could easily fall into normal when you assume some distortion on the scan.

Jenslittleones replied to noelle1225's response:
I had the oppostie oligohydroamniosis- low amino fluid when I was 35 and 36 weeks pregnant with my last one. I was 100% certain of my due date and both these conditions have little to do with acccurate dx of your due date. You should be followed via ultrasound and it actually is very accurate in measuing the AFI-amniotic fluid index. If it gets too high or too low you could be induced.

I was told that you make a certain amount of fluid and your baby uses it (swallows it). If for some reason your baby isnt using as much as you are making (or in my case the opposite) you end up with too much. Can be a kidney function issue, could be that you are producing more than it is using right now. polyhydro can also go away sporadically in some cases. I was told both could just be a fluke as well and no sign of anything serious. I was induced b/c of the low fluid at 36 weeks and my son had no complications at all. My dr also said having it once doesn't mean you should be concerned in future pregnancies. I am in my 30th week now of our second pregnancy and have no fluid issues.

candy352 replied to Jenslittleones's response:
Lurking from 2nd tri...I also have low amnio fluid. I will be 18 weeks tomorrow. This scares me because what I have seen is that this occurs in the 3rd tri or closer to term. I'm not even halfway there yet and I have low fluid. The tech could not give me a reason as to why it was low or if there is anything that I could do.

noelle1225 replied to candy352's response:
Since I actually work in radiology.... I will say again that US is notoriosly bad at spot on measurements.... Not that it can't give you a good idea/ starting point... I was just trying to get across the idea that if your measurement is just slightly over normal, It could easily be off enough to make it look abnormal. Yes they will tell you it's always very accurate, but anyone who works in the field knows otherwise. That's how you end up with, for instance, a baby induced two weeks early bc they have "stopped growing" who pops out a full pound and a half heavier than what the last two US's showed. Since I'm around it everyday, I thought I would point it out if it might help you worry less:) For the ladies w a low fluid level, sometimes simply drinking more water can fix the problem:) Obviously it's not a cureall, but it can be, like preterm ctx and bhc's caused by dehydration.

mannsdeb responded:
I was also told by the US dr that I have more than normal fluid around. I do not have diabetes or am I carrying mulitples but my son has more than normal fluid in his right kidney so am assuming which is not a good to do that my be the cause of me have polyhydromnios. Stay positve. My dr is out of town but am going in tommorow to speak with the dr covering for her about my u/s results and what to do next. Try not too worry.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi Everyone - my name is Toni - I am 35 and pregnant for the first time with twin girls. My husband Bill and I have been married since 2007 and are so...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.