Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Too Much Weight Gain :(
amr4434 posted:
Welcome to my pity party...

I went in for my 32 week check-up on Friday. I've gained 30 pounds so far (4 pounds since my previous visit which was 2 weeks ago). The FNP indicated that was a bit too much. I could tell from her comments that she thought I was eating like a horse. She said thing like, "Remember, you aren't really eating for two" and "You only need an extra 300 calories", and "Stay away from the empty calories like sweets." She also said I need to drink more water as stay away from sodas and juice. The 'she said, I said' game could max out my character limit so I will stop there.

I tried to explain that I do eat healthy and I drink 4-6 16oz glasses of water a day - but nothing I said was good enough for her. Every fruit, vegetable, and dairy product was the 'wrong' choice. At last she settled on that I needed to exercise more.

I also mentioned to the FNP that I was swelling this week. She said it was normal and to drink more water.

I left my appointment deflated and emotional. I went to the store determined to buy everything 'healthy' I could get my hands on. I started bawling in the produce department because I didn't know what to buy since I had apparently been so wrong in the past. Great visual image for you guys...pregnant woman holding two roma tomatoes crying her eyes out in the middle of Walmart.

To make matters worse, a lady in my office reminds me daily that her daughter has only gained 12 pounds in 32 weeks.

I know every pregnancy is different and so is every body. But I feel massive and swollen but still hungry. I believe that I am eating healthy, and yet I still keep packing on the pounds. Not sure what to do.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

klyvers responded:
Don't beat yourself up over it I am only a few days farther along than you and have gained just as much weight as you only faster! I actually reached 30lbs weight gain LAST month but have evened out since then actually havent gained that much within the last month and I am more concerned about that than the actual initial gain. I am sorry that your doc appt was so unnerving... I had the exact opposite reaction... they said nothing about my weight gain and I'm thinking "HELLO I'M A BLIMP IS THIS OK!?" haha... My brothers girlfriend is a few weeks behind me and she doesn't even look pregnant.. not fair... not to mention over the last weekend I met a girl who is due in TWO weeks and you could barely see her bump through her t-shirt... and she has a body build/type a lot similar to me... I wanted to pull her eyes out haha...

amr4434 replied to klyvers's response:
Thanks, that does make me feel better.

I forgot to mention that the FNP did give me permission to eat a slice of cake at my baby shower that was Saturday. I wanted to slap her.

Olivetre responded:
My doctor told me that he only wanted me to gain 20 lbs for the entire pregnancy. I weighed 130 when I got pregnant. When I reached 19 lbs by week 28 he told me not to gain another 19. Total I gained 28...the last month I lost a pound the week before my dds birth because it was hard to eat. With my first dd I gained 31 lbs and she was born 2 1/2 weeks early. I was swimming and eating healthy so when I told him what I was doing he backed off and was happy. Some people gain differently I was all baby. My cousins wife only gained 10 pounds but lloked as big as I did. I think as long as your eating healthy and walking a little you should be okay.

what things did she say that were not good for you to eat?

Katya1985 responded:
I agree every woman is different and every pregnancy is different. With my first son I gained only 15 pounds and lost almost all of it during labor but with this pregnancy I gained 40 pound so far and I am 37 weeks. My doctor is complaining about it every visit and it drives me crazy! I eat healthy and do a lot of walking but what you want me to do? I do not know why I gain that much weight. A lot of people keep telling me that if you pregnant with a boy you gain very little weight and with a girl A LOT. Plus, she makes me do a non stress test twice a week now and weekly ultrasound just because I gained too much weight and she concerned that the baby might be too big and run out of water. So I totally feel your pain. The good thing that a lot of weight will come of at birth so do not bit yourself up about it.
Me(26),husby(30) Our first son-Stanislav will be 3 and now expecting a girl Galina. EDD 09/02/2011

kell0613 responded:
You should have slapped her after the cake comment! Geez.
Just don't worry too much about it. You certainly are NOT in the range of gaining so much you'll need a c-section because the baby gets too big, so who cares. Everyone is different, and honestly I feel that our bodies crave the food we naturally need. I'm convinced my LO needs cake at least once a week :)
Keep doing what you're doing, try not to listen to the crazy FNP, and we'll all join together on the next boards to share tips for getting back into our old clothes!
Me(26), DH(32), Baby 1- It's a Girl! EDD 9/12/11

Amy_n_Matt responded:
Your doc sounds like a Debbie Downer. Is this your first? It's hard to know what to expect how *your* body handles pregnancy in general, let alone each pregnancy.

This is my 3rd pregnancy, not counting my early m/c. With my daughter, I gained about 55 lbs. I did test positive for GD, but only barely, and I've had other doctors (I go to a group practice) dispute my numbers should have qualified. She was born at 8 lbs, 8 ounces with no complications, and I lost essentially all the weight.

With my son, I gained 50 lbs again. Cleared my GD test with flying colors, and he was born at 9 lbs 7 ounces. Again, no complications and I lost all the weight by the time I weaned him next year.

Now I am 33 weeks along with just about 28-30 lbs of weight gain. I started showing super-early and worried that I was already tracking to be huge. My docs all said (with varying degrees of diplomacy) that while my weight was on the high end of the normal range, my growth was measuring as expected and my numbers were looking good. I simply grow 'em big apparently. In fact one doc literally said I should slap any other strangers ('cause I had several by that point!!) who commented on my size.

My sister, who is about 4 inches shorter than me, gained less weight but blew up with her kids! She whines good-naturedly that it's unfair I carry all in front while she carried all over. We all grow, show, and carry differently. If the baby is healthy, and you are healthy, then the weight is an issue to deal with after you have healed from deliver.

{{hugs}}

amr4434 replied to Amy_n_Matt's response:
You guys are such an awesome source of support! Thanks to everyone for the uplifting comments. It is comforting to hear from other pregnant women - than to only get the 'text book' answers from the doctor.

In response to Olivetre - I would mention that I eat bananas and plums for snack and she would tell me that those were too high in sugar. I would say that I eat oatmeal and yogurt and drink milk- and she repeated the sugar comment. She made the comment that she hears the milk thing all the time and women don't realize how many calories are in milk.

In response to Amy_n_Matt: Yes, this is my first. I am 30 yrs old, 5'9" tall and my starting weight was 150. People say that I am all belly - even though I feel like a total blimp. Not sure if they are just being nice or sincere.

I just didn't like the FNP's disposition. All of the other staff at my OB are very positive and encouraging. I think I will change my appt. if I wind up with her ever again.

Thanks again!

vanessagw23 replied to amr4434's response:
Oh the cake comment was just not neccessary. I'm 30 weeks and have gained about 25 lbs so far. All we can do at this point is try to eat our best, making every meal and snack count and we'll just have to worry about losing the weight after the baby's born. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy (especially because there isn't much left) and your shower! Stress is worse for the baby then some extra lbs anyhow.
:D

kell0613 replied to amr4434's response:
I just can't let this go- while milk and yogurt do have calories, they are both super important for the Calcium! Especially at this point in our pregnancies, and even more so for those mommies who are planning to breastfeed.
I think this lady must have been on her period or something! You're doing great!
Me(26), DH(32), Baby 1- It's a Girl! EDD 9/12/11

earleyml1012 replied to kell0613's response:
Wow your FNP would freak out if she heard that I drank almost half a gallon of milk in one day...it was skim but still. I agree that as long as you eat a well balanced meal and get some form of exercise than don't worry too much. You look to be on track to gain 38lbs, which isn't bad. I think the "normal" range is 25-35lbs but you might've been on the smaller size to begin with so your body needed more fat to help your growing baby. I agree with most of it comes off right away and if you breastfeed that will help too. With my first DD I gained 25lbs and lost it by the time I returned to work 9 weeks later. Having a 9lb baby helped!! Since I lost probably 20lbs just giving birth. This time I'm on track to gain about 28 lbs, so I'm happy. Like everyone else said, every pregnancy/woman/baby is different.

Anon_3162 replied to Katya1985's response:
I just had to say your comment about weight gain boy vs girl was funny to me. I had a girl and am pregnant with another girl and I haven't gained much weight. I guess that's just another old wives tale...got to love them!

klynshoe replied to kell0613's response:
Ha ha I eat fat free yogurt and fat free cottage cheese for lunch every day to get my calcium and protein. I also drink a lot of fat-free organic milk. Its really not too many calories - 90 calories for 6 oz yogurt and 70 calories for 4 oz cottage cheese. Its very filling and has a tone of nutrients.

Olivetre replied to amr4434's response:
I don't see why your FNP would say not to eat bananas when they tell you to eat them if you get leg cramps because they have potasium. My ob told me to avoid carbanated drinks (sp?), junk food, and limit fast food to one or twice a month.

Sherri_O responded:
Yesterday, I had an OB appointment at about 32 weeks. I go to a practice & they want you to see a different doctor each time, since they don't know who will be on call when you deliver. Well it's annoying & I get more irritated than anything else. Especially since I don't go to the bathroom regularly. And I get the comment, you're weight has jumped since the last time. Well, I haven't gone to the bathroom for a few days. Needless to say I finally went a few times since yesterday, and I am now 6 pounds lighter. I've passed my glucose screen, & I get regular ultrasounds at another hospital that show my baby's growth is on track and she's not too big. I go spinning (aerobic workout on stationary bike with music) 3-4 times a week. My OB visits cause me more grief and annoyance. I won't be going every two weeks. One another note, on a similar visit I've met a doctor who I hope is not on call when I deliver. They'll see me again around the 36-37 weeks, especially since I have to haul my tail over an hour away on 8/25 for an ultrasound.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Expecting my first baby..I am so excited to meet this little girl!

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.