Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Curious
Anon_167186 posted:
Just being curious, would you allow your child to call you by your name, or only mom, momma, dad, daddy etc. I know growing up i would not call my mother by her name it was disrespectfull, but then i married a man who calls his mother by her. I would like your input. He thinks itll be okay to allow our child call me by my name, but i would prefer not.

Ihgirl1066 responded:
Ohhh thats just weird to me, but i guess that i was raised to call my parents mom an dad.

aly192527 responded:
I have a friend whose two kids call then by their first names. They're really terrible behavior-wise but I think that's more a result of their parenting style overall (think Nanny 911 material). I wouldn't let my kids call me by my first name. I think it's a respect thing and I also wonder how other kids would respond. Totally your decision though and I don't think it would make your kids ill behaved or anything like that. You just have to decide how you feel about it because it's you they are addressing

Katya1985 responded:
I would not like my children call me anything but mom.Although my son sometimes call me by my name after my husband did but just to copy him out and for learning purposes. Other then that I am all for calling parents mom and dad.
Me(26),husby(30) Our first son-Stanislav is 3(08/17/08) and now expecting a girl Galina. EDD 09/02/2011

Anon_48326 responded:
I think that part of establishing your role in your family is associated with how your children address you. I'm also kind of an "old school" person though and I know that I don't want to be my daughters' friend or buddy, so I wouldn't want for them to speak to me like I was. Plus, I pretty much melt when I hear my 3 year old's sweet voice say, "mommy"!

Everyone is certainly different, though, and you should do what you're comfortable doing.

Amy_n_Matt responded:
I think children need to know their parents given name but address them as their title - Mom and Dad or whatever variation thereof - to demonstrate their (the children's) respect & recognition of family roles. I think it's part of the general mentality towards good manners. So I never freaked as each of my kids went through their phase of calling me by my given name, I just would calmly remind them, "I am your Mommy." Has your DH explained when & why he started calling his mother by her given name and why he thinks this is acceptable?

htma4494 replied to Amy_n_Matt's response:
Nooooo way, Jose. My child will definitely be calling me mommmy, mom, or mama...I wouldnt dare have them call me by my 1st name..Like some of the other posters said, its a identity role and respect factor, but I know everyones different, so to each is his own!

kell0613 responded:
I will be Mom or some version of it. I remember when I was a snotty pre-teen I once dared to call my mother by her first name...in front of my father...I was grounded for weeks! He was so angry (of course, it was in kind of a rude fashion that I used it, but alas) Since, I don't think I've ever used either of my parent's first names unless we were in a crowd and I was yelling to get their attention.

Something I DON'T want is for my Husband to address me as "Mom". My parents always referred to each other as "Mom" and "Dad" and even now my Dad will still say "Thanks for dinner Mom" when we all eat together. I always want DH to call me Kelly.
Me(26), DH(32), Baby 1- It's a Girl! EDD 9/12/11

Amy_n_Matt replied to kell0613's response:
That's actually an interesting point and somethnig I don't think DH and I gave serious consideration to. However, I think we happened to fall in the same routine. We call each other by our given names or something along the lines of "honey" or "sweetheart," even if the kids can hear us. But when we refer to each other when talking directly to the children, we say "Mom" or "Dad." That's how our kids learned our given names and why they went through phases calling us by that, but they still know we are Mom or Dad to them.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
We will be mom and dad or some variation thereof. The only time I've called my mom by her first name is in a crowd. My mom refers to my dad as dad when talking about him and my dad refers to my mom as mom when talking about her. They do call each other by their first names though.

Anon_167186 replied to Amy_n_Matt's response:
Thank you ladies, i am having a really hard time with this, im stressing out enough as it is already. I would rather be called mom, mommy and him as dad daddy whatever lol. Im not sure if it was how i was raised or just a respect, because i know if i back talked or called my mother by her name i was getting daddys belt lol. Which is another DH dont believe in is punishment i guess we will have that talk when he/she is old enough to get punished.

RanchMommy1533 replied to Anon_167186's response:
I wouldn't let my girls call me anything other than Mom. Like another poster said, knowing your name for ID purposes later in life is a completely different subject. As a teenager I would call my mom by her first name to get her attention if she wasn't responding to 'mom' but other than that I wouldn't allow the girls to call me anything but mom. I think you lose some respect if they call you by your real name. Almost like they are more of an equal rather than the child. Good luck to you!
Emily 22, DH 21, Sarah 1 1/2, Charlotte due Oct 27th.

missashley1010 responded:
I will not let my kids call me by my first name. Its good they learn your name and all that but as far as when they adress me im mom, mommy, or mama. Same with go with dad. My dad would freak if we ever dared to call him something other than dad or daddy. I think its a respect thing to call them what they are your parents

Spotlight: Member Stories

SAHM of two cute monkeys! Charlotte "Charlie" Mae born 11/5/10 and Orion Christopher 12/14/98

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.