Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
The Pregnant Pause
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Have you been asked obnoxious questions that have given you opportunity to first respond with an eye-raising Pregnant Pause before answering?

You're in your third trimester and obviously pregnant, have you been asked "Are you going to have a baby?" Have you heard "Wow, your really getting big!"

Have you found yourself swallowing hard and trying to be tactful when your really want to respond with #!@%&*!!

Share some of the questions that have warranted the Pregnant Pause and how you really would like to respond (just keep it clean)!

Elizabeth
FirstPrevious12NextLast

RanchMommy1533 responded:
I love this question I was in Wal-Mart the other morning with my two year old and the belly and an older woman came up to me and began to give me the 'You're too young and immature to have children' speech. Granted I am only 22 but girls used to start families at 14 a little over a century ago!! She then progressed in her speech and asked if both the babies have the same father and she speculated rather loudly that they probably didn't. *Pregnant Pause* "Yes ma'am they do and I have been happily married to their father for two years. I hope you have a wonderful day." in other words.... I AM TRYING REALLY HARD NOT TO SCREAM VERY LOUD NOT SO NICE WORDS IN WAL MART. Respect your elders respect your elders respect your elders!!!!
Emily 22, DH 21, Sarah 1 1/2, Charlotte due Oct 27th.

aly192527 responded:
I stopped at a local Chinese restaurant to pick up dinner the other day. The lady looked at me and said "You really big, you have baby soon. You have big baby!" I'm 32 weeks and according to the Dr. am measuring right on track. I just smiled and ordered the food. Sometimes it's just not worth responding

Ihgirl1066 replied to aly192527's response:
I can totally relate to PP. People have been commenting on how big my belly has been forever, and my belly has been so low this time i think it makes it look bigger, heck in the first 34.5 weeks i only gained 15 lbs, which shocked ppl. What i always wanted to say to them is that im glad God made you look like a supermodel when you were pregnant.

Anon_139384 replied to Ihgirl1066's response:
Haha just posted something about this today.
http://nscstrikesback.webs.com/apps/blog/show/8805730-pregancy-questions

ReneeSP replied to Anon_139384's response:
I was walking just Monday when a man commented "somebody is ready to pop!" (I cringe at any reference to the baby popping, dropping, squirting, or squeezing out of me - so crude to me). Now, I am only just 30 weeks, and I'm hardly about to "pop". He then went on to comment that I must be "what, 8 months?" to which I felt instantly fat and humiliated and just replied with a big lie "yep".
1st pregnancy after infertility; Team Blue, EDD 11/30/11.

Maichoua responded:
I've been getting a lot of ridiculous comments throughout my whole pregnancy. This is baby #4 and I started showing like at 2 months - so ever since then, its been one rude comment after another to now where I'm just getting fed up with it. The one that annoys me the most is "Are you sure you are not having twins?" I just want to smack those people and yelled "Yeah...I'm pretty sure I'm not having twins - I've had like 5 ultrasound already." However, I just smile and say "Nope, just one" and walk away.

Another comment - Gee that's baby number 4 already??? You think you had enough already??? I wanted to scream at them and say "If I had enough already then I wouldn't be having anymore - plus the decision to have more kids is me and my husband's decision - not yours!!" Gosh, these people just drives me absolutely crazy. But I end up just smiling and walking away.

I feel like its absolutely unfair that us pregnant women have to ignore these comments and just walk away, letting these people (families, friends, acquaintances, and strangers) just say whatever they want to to us. Is it because I'm pregnant that people out there feel like they can say whatever they want to me??? It's just not right!!

Sorry - just venting out since I've been hearing these comments for almost the whole duration of this pregnancy.

sarbear42 replied to Maichoua's response:
I am so there with you on the twins question. I am pregnant with my first, due Oct. 26th and I have answered this question easily 200 times. I want to get a t-shirt with the answers to the frequently asked questions but it wouldn't do any good. I feel like I'm the size of a hippo as it is then with the constant comments on my huge size my self-confidence is running out. Random women at the store coming up and rubbing or grabbing my belly, which really freaks me out. I told my doctor about this type of behavior and he said for whatever reason people see pregnant women as imminent domain and they really should just butt-out.

DaleCDean29 responded:
I frequently get asked if I am pg at work I have started to respond "Nope I have a tumor that kicks me!"
Me Dale 30 BF Chris 29 DD Bianka 7/20/10

Noodlesbaby11 responded:
I am definatley very tired of the ignorant comments from people at work. A few weeks ago one of the biggest ladies I work with said to me, "Wow, you are enormous! Is that your first? Did you get that big with the first?" I had to hold my tounge because I so badly wanted to say to her... "I'm 8 months pregnant, what's your excuse!?!?!" But this morning topped all of them. Guy at work said to me, "Are you pregnant or are you just getting fat?" Nice huh? Yeah, I'm 9 months pregnant jerk. People need to learn how to be nice.

cl1234 responded:
Oh I got the 'How far along are you because you are really big!' I said, 'Yeah so are you, when are you due?' In which she turned red and walked away.

ffwife23Kt replied to cl1234's response:
I really wish we could say what we want to say to these people who make stupid comments! I swear it's worse with the people that I work with. Just because I see you 40 hours a week doesn't give you the right to say stuff like this to me!

I had one co worker come up to me when I was about 20 weeks preggo (granted this is my second and I was pretty skinny after my first one due to health issues so I showed pretty quick) and asked "So is it safe to assume you are pregnant or have you just been drinking a keg?"
Um first of all I don't drink, second seriously?!?!? Who says something like that. I wanted to say "Nope, I'm just eating my feelings" but didn't. I have been trying to avoid her ever since, it'a also because her perfume is toxic!!!!! Lol

Katie 26 , DH 29, DS 22 months, Baby # 2 EDD 12/18/11-Pink team!!!

Brommer0930 responded:
When I was pregnant with my first, I made a comment after one of my dr appts that I had only gained 14 pounds at that point. A male co-worker piped up and said, "Wow, I thought you looked more like you gained 40 pounds." I almost told him where he could go, but I did not feel like a trip to HR.

blueskies2012 responded:
Lurking from 2nd tri- I have so many questions or comments that I want to scream. I'll just name a few right here:
I get the "are you really pregnant or getting bigger" to the "are you still with the baby's father" & even the "is this really your first pregnancy? or just the one you decided to keep--no abortions" I guess some people feel that being a 29 yr old black female successful or not should have a record of babies since the age of 13. I've gotten the "are you ready for a baby?" even some say "do you know how hard it is to support a baby these days w/a husband & you're not married"..i'm like WTF--i want to say Kick rocks or go play in traffic but i only give one of my looks.

jamiesmommy76227 replied to blueskies2012's response:
I am 37 weeks right not and am getting all the time...you haven't had that baby yet? Obvisouly not!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi there!! My name is Wendi and I'm 28. I am married to my best friend we have been together 12 years! Married for 2 years! Our son arrived 4weeks...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.