Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
35 weeks + 7lb baby!!!!
CWhite82 posted:
I need some advice. I had an ultrasound yesterday (I'm 35 weeks) and the tech says the baby is about 7lbs 8oz already!!!! Does this mean the doctor will want to induce or suggest a c-section. She's been on my tail about gaining too much weight, I've gained about 40lbs What should I expect, should I want to induce so the baby won't be so big or just opt out for the c-section? I'm so confused and nervous. I hate myself for gaining so much weight! Please help, thanks!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
The weight could be off and the baby could weigh less. I've heard of women having c-sections due to large babies only to have the baby weigh at least a pound less than estimated.

My case was the opposite. My midwife estimated 6 1/2 to 7 lbs and DS weighed 7 lbs 9 oz.

noelle1225 responded:
First, US is not particularly accurate that late, Second, many women have successfully delivered over 10 lb babies vaginally. Babies are squishy and we are stretchy. Your doc cannot force you into a c/s without an actual medical reason, and the baby is a little big is NOT a valid reason. Think twice about inducing before your due date bc there is alot of talk now about late term pre-mature babies. When the doc decides to induce on size alone, they risk bringing out a baby whose lungs and other organs aren't really ready yet. And don't hate yourself. Some women gain more than others. Some babies are bigger than others. All we can do is educate ourselves and do the best we can. Good luck with how ever you decide to handle it, but remember, the OR will still be there even if you try to vaginally deliver 5 w from now and don't succeed. As long as the baby and you are healthy, there is no need to be rushed into anything.

Lysana replied to noelle1225's response:
I agree completely with both what tlkittycat and and Noelle said!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011) ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ Siamese Kittybabies Waller and Lessa (8)

earleyml1012 responded:
I agree too! My OB thought DD would be between 6-7lbs, turns out she was 8lbs 14ozs (so basically 9lbs). I'm a small woman and still managed to deliver her just fine. I spoke to my OB about being concerned with having another large baby and he said the same as Noelle that must women can deliver up to a 10lb baby ok. Then there was my SIL who was told at 37 wks that her baby was going to be over 9lbs and they wanted to induce. She choose not to and ended up have a 7lb 9oz baby. There have been so many studies in recent years about ultrasounds being used to predict the weight of babies and how they are not very accurate. Even with induction, you risk a c-section so I said let your baby decide when it's time to come.

klynshoe responded:
Don't hate yourself!! I am 34 weeks and have also gained 40 lbs... my doctor is not overly concerned about it. I am eating healthy (mostly) and have a solid plan to lose the weight after the baby comes. And having a c-section just because they think the baby will be big doesn't make sense. After all what did they do before modern medicine when c-sections weren't available? Women BIRTHED their babies!!! I've read that many women give birth to large babies without any more trouble than a baby of a smaller size so I wouldn't worry about it. You body will take care of it - it was specially designed by God to do so...

palvarad responded:
Oh don't hate yourself! It's not something you could control (that's how I see it). With DS I went from 102 lbs. to 155 and there was nobody on planet earth who could tell me otherwise at that moment. He was born 7 lbs. 11 oz and was just fine. I did, indeed, have a C-Section, but it wasn't due to his size, it was because I couldn't push at all!

RanchMommy1533 responded:
I would have to agree with everyone!! I just had a friend that chose to induce at 39 weeks and ended up with a baby in the NICU for two weeks because his lungs weren't finished developing. Babies come when they are ready! My husband's aunt is a pretty petite woman and last year she had a 13lb son at home and both did great! About the weight thing, don't beat yourself up at all!! I weighed 128 when I got pregnant with DD and ended at 160. My best friend (we were due three days apart and ended up having our LOs three days apart) gained sixty but she was happy and baby was healthy. Keep smiling!!
Emily 22, DH 21, Sarah 1 1/2, Charlotte due Oct 27th.

CRice73 responded:
I gained 45 pound with my first son trust me I was not happy when I went in for my last ultrasound right before I had him they the lady told me he was going to be over 8 pounds she was off by two he was only 6lbs8oz she did the same with my second son also told me he was going to be close to nine pounds he turned out to be only 6lbs15oz we go thursday to get a weight on the one we are expect any day now because they are guessing him under six pounds for lack of weight gain and conceiving less then a year after our second son was born and few other medical reasons but we requested another tech to do the ultrasound this time. not gaining weight we dont understand cause I out eat my husband and my uncle who we call the black hole and I am 39 weeks. My friend just had her second son in Dec all natural and he was 11lbs 9oz. Her doctor tried to talk her into a c-sections because he was afraid of him being to big for her, she proved him wrong. My twin sister had 6lbs 5oz twins a month early vaginally three years ago because they thought she was just having one big baby but of course we did that to our mother as well I hid behind my twin till our mother was nine months and back then they did not have everything they have now. Don't let your OB talk you into doing anything you are uncomforable doing. if you dont want induced or to have a c-section your doctor can not make you its your choose not theirs.

ReneeSP replied to CRice73's response:
I agree, I hear they are wrong on the size all the time. Your weight gain isn't always an indicator of how big the baby will be either from what I understand.
1st pregnancy after infertility; Team Blue, EDD 11/30/11.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am married to the most wonderful man in the world. we got married valentines day feb.14, 2008. we have an incredible son together. hayden was born j...More

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.