Fetal heart rate changes
Violetrevolution posted:
I heard that if fetal heart rate is less than 140 it's boy and more then it's girl...my first appt it was 176 then next mth it dropped to 151 and then it was constant 140-145 and this mth it was 134....i had my first u/s at that baby was so small...but radiologist said it's girl...but i couldn't see that properly...so we did when baby was little bit big ...she said its girl but she is curled up..so still confused...anyone got this heart rate droping in last trimester....

bcfrost816 responded:
I think thats just an old wives tale. All of my babies had their heart rates lower than 140 most of the time, and I've got 3 girls

And their heart rates change based on what they are doing, just like ours do. As long as its in the normal range, thats all that matters.
Courtney (30) DH (31) DD Peyton 12/08; DD Hayley 9/10, and new baby girl expected on 2-2-12

Lysana responded:
It's not *entirely* an OWT, but it's certainly not reliable, and I wouldn't assume the u/s was wrong based on it (although if I recall correctly, there was some uncertainty around the gender based on your u/s - unless you had a second one?) From what I've heard and read, later on in pregnancy, boys' heart rates tend to be a little lower than girls' - meaning, around 3rd trimester. It's not something you can go by in 1st or 2nd trimester, though, and I wouldn't "go by" it even in third.

It's likely that it has more to do with your baby's activity level than his or her gender. And, as they get bigger, they have less room to move around, so they are likely to be a little less active, right? So it would make sense that the HR would be lower.

Honestly, I have no clue what mine have been other than the first couple of ultrasounds, where they measure it and tell you. I don't think mine have been consistent with the OWTs, though.

At the same time, it sounds like maybe you didn't get a good, certain confirmation that your baby is a girl, via ultrasound. I think I'd hold off on buying a whole bunch of pink stuff - I'd go with neutral on the things that you HAVE to buy ahead of time, and wait until you know for sure for the things you don't have to get beforehand.

Good luck!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (4.5) ~~ Joshua (3) ~~ Rebekah (1) ~~ Samuel John (EDD 2/24/2012) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011) ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ Siamese Kittybabies Waller and Lessa (8)

Violetrevolution replied to Lysana's response:
Yeah! we already bought few pink but mostly everything we bought is yellow or green (neutral color)...but my elder one is really looking for girl and she bought my little sister set for her....for hospital to home set...just didn't wanna disappoint her and its kinda because of this confusion everything is yellow...that's what I didn't want...Well! I guess i have to wait more 6 weeks....

tlkittycat1968 replied to Violetrevolution's response:
Not to scare you but the now ex-wife of a former co-worker was told her entire pregnancy she was having a girl but ended up having a boy. She was so upset she told them to put it back.

A cousin's wife had been told early on that she was having a girl. She painted the room lavender and was getting ready to buy girl things when, at one of her later appointments, the doctor said she was going to have a healthy boy. She was like "What? I was told I was having a girl." It was a boy.

Now with DS, it was very obvious he was a boy. I tell people he was very proud of being a boy. DD was modest and wouldn't let anyone see her parts and the only way I found out was via amnio (done for genetic testing). The way I told people was that ultrasounds may lie but chromosomes don't.

Violetrevolution replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
"She was so upset she told them to put it back"...ha ha ha
I don't think so that can happen...Well! my elder one is after me to paint all pink...but we're kinda put it on hold....I really wanna be ready before baby born...but still confusion so everything is like that...I guess I still have to wait 6 more weeks...I didn't know how I am gonna do that but still I will try....mostly I got all the stuff of winnie the pooh "yellow", but some are pink ...let's see...but I'm more concerned abt back to home cloth....my elder one got "my little sister set" for her...

candy352 replied to Violetrevolution's response:
When I wanted to be surprised, I went to a local consignment shop and bought 2 take home clothes. One for a girl and one for a boy. It's a lot cheaper than going to a regular store. My DF used to joke around when we didn't know the sex. He said if it's a girl, she's going back in. LOL.
Candy 26, DF 37, Expecting 1st--1/6/12. Team Pink!!!

Violetrevolution responded:
Ok...yesterday it was 127...I asked my Doc why the rate is dropping...and she says its normal...as ur going close to delivery it will be like ours heart rate ...getting to normal point day by day...so kinda feeling goooood....no tension....

lbcash replied to Violetrevolution's response:
Thanks for this post! I am having, apparantly, a very hyper little boy, just like my first. With both of them their heart rates were in the mid 150's. This little guys heart rate has been running around 158 but at this weeks appt it was 148 and I was worried a little. My doc just said he may have been sleepy.

I saw the first post on here saying that little boys heart rates run below 140 but my first born never got that low and 148 is the lowest this LO's rate has gotten and I've had 4 ultrasounds so he is definitely a boy. Just thought I'd share my experience.