Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Baby Movement
lobermann posted:
I love it when my LO moves around and kicks (the best was when DH put his head on my belly and the baby kicked right where he put his head), but sometimes he moves around so much it freaks me out like he is going to get all wrapped up in the umbilical cord. Does anyone else get this way or am I just one paranoid mom?

KBratt responded:
I don't get freaked out all the time, but there have been 2 specific instances that I felt him moving then I felt a sharp tugging sensation & yes that's exactly what I thought...for one my sono tech (that I see every 4 wks) says he likes to roll- his head is down & feet are up but he likes to roll like a barrel in there & two DH was born blue with his corn around his neck! So it does cross my mind. But I just get on all 4's move him down & as long as he keeps moving I know he is fine in there:)
Katie 24; DH-Ryan 23; DD-Kelsey 17mo; DS Riley Wayne EDD 3/6/12

TyneIrish responded:
When they don't move is when you should freak out. Movement is a good sign. The only time I ever worry about the umbilical cord getting wrapped is when I am lifting over my head because I have heard that is what causes it to happen usually. I would become worried if your LO isn't moving as much as usual.

tlkittycat1968 replied to TyneIrish's response:
Regarding lifting over your head causing the umbilical cord to wrap around the baby's neck, it's a old wives tale.

lobermann replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
That doesn't bother me at all, but man when he does his barrel rolls in there I get a tad worried. He is a mover and doesn't stop once he gets going. One thing though is he doesn't move much at night when I am sleeping only when I roll over...it is as if he has to reposition himself....LOL

Spotlight: Member Stories

Amy (29) DH (30) - m/c in 12/05 ^Friday^, DS#1 11/06, DS#2 - ^Jeremiah^ - had Anencephaly, a severe neural tube defect - Born 8/14/09, Died 8/17/09, M...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.