Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Name dilemma...
Jackie03291 posted:
Just wondering, if your BEST FRIEND in the whole world completely HATED a name that you were considering, would you care?? My husband and I have been having a horrible time agreeing on a name, so I keep pushing almost anything and everything that I even remotely like for him to consider, because he can't make up his mind about anything! Well I found another one today that I really like and I also asked my best friend for her opinion, and she absolutely HATED it! LOL

I feel kind of hurt that she hated it so much, like very passionately despised the name for some crazy reason, and so now I feel like I should definitely take it off my list. I don't really care if any of my family likes the name we choose, not even my mother, but for some reason I do care what my best friend thinks, is that strange?? I don't even know yet if my husband will even like the name, he hasn't rendered his verdict yet, but with my luck he will love it! Then what?? LOL
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 due 5/4/12

AAgradillas responded:
Ok, of course I'm curious now, what's this horrible name??? And I would ask your husband about it, see how he feels, and if you both finally find a name you love, then stick with it! I would maybe take your friend's feelings towards it into consideration if you were still up in the air about it... BUT talk to your hubby first, then go from there
Amanda 27, DH Freddy 27, Madison DD 10/07/06, Parker DS 01/12/09, EDD 03/01/12 Csection Scheduled 02/22/12 for Baby Boy, Brayden!!!

Jackie03291 replied to AAgradillas's response:
The name is Colette...I thought it was very pretty and not too common.

lobermann replied to Jackie03291's response:
I think that is pretty!

KBratt responded:
I wouldn't really care...I mean your friend can come up with a special nick name that only she calls your child if she is that close to you. But as long as you & DH like the name I think that's all that matters. & I like Colette! I think it's cute & you're right, not very common.
Katie 24; DH-Ryan 23; DD-Kelsey 7/4/10; DS Riley Wayne EDD 3/6/12

bbcntpa responded:
I agree with everyone else. First and foremost is your DH's opinion. After that, no one really matters and your friend can use a nickname. Why did she have such a strong reaction to Colette? It's not like it's some crazy weird name like Apple or something.
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (almost 4), EDD 5/3/12 - csection 4/27/12, Pink!

cjl0510 responded:
I had a middle name picked out for my first little guy. We knew his first name would be Jack.. but for the middle name we really wanted it to be Daniel ( which was my husbands fathers name ) . Also, we liked the fact we could call him JD if he wanted to once he got older. - BUT at the last minute one of my close friends told me not to because she didn't like it - it reminded her of the Alcohol.

But let me tell you this.. ever since we changed his name. I have regretted it since. So in my opinion, name your little one what YOU want. Even though it seems hard at the time.. you will be happier if you go with what you guys want. Good luck - let us know what you decide!

jlynnpaine responded:
I wouldn't care. My BFF and I have very different tastes in names and I know that she wasn't a fan of the name we chose for DD1, but she never commented on it. I don't care for either of her kids' names either. If you love it, go with it! Especially if DH agrees. This is why we don't tell anyone our name until after the baby is born. I don't want anyone influencing me on a name that I really like. If you like it, that's all that should matter!

AAgradillas replied to Jackie03291's response:
Its very cute and definitely not common!! I like it...
Have you asked DH about it yet? What are his feelings?
Amanda 27, DH Freddy 27, Madison DD 10/07/06, Parker DS 01/12/09, EDD 03/01/12 Csection Scheduled 02/22/12 for Baby Boy, Brayden!!!

Jackie03291 replied to AAgradillas's response:
Well I couldn't get a straight answer from him last night. He has been pretty stressed lately and pretty much said that he didn't know what he thought about them yet, he didn't want to talk about it, and if I was that worried about picking a name NOW that he was tired of me bugging him about it and that I could just pick whatever I wanted! UGH! I hate men sometimes! He can really drive me NUTS sometimes....

oboingo76 replied to Jackie03291's response:
I'm sorry Jackie! I know sometimes they don't understand that we want to talk about something to get it taken care of because we have so much on our minds. We'll think about something all day and night and it's SOOOOO aggravating when we bring it up and they don't want to talk about it! Yes, we have hormones but we also have a lot to think about and every little thing we can check off our list as "done" counts in our book.

For what it's worth, I like Colette. I think it's pretty and it's not made up. (I don't like made up names). Is it possible that your best friend has bad association with the name because she knows a Colette she can't stand? I mean I think you should go with your own instincts.

Our little one's name is Lilia Charlotte, but when we tell people about it they act like we made up "Lilia" because they have never heard it before. It's a very popular name in Europe - mainly Russia and surrounding countries, I even found out it's in the bible which makes me laugh. How much older and not-made-up can you get?

I don't really let it get to me though. It's our baby and our name. I hope you get to a place where you can feel comfortable with your choice and let other people have their own babies and lives!

Jackie03291 replied to oboingo76's response:
Thanks for the reply! He must have felt bad and knew that I was hurt about what he said because when he was leaving for work this morning, he said that he would sit down and look through my list again tonight after work, so we will see if he actually does!

I really like Lilia. I have never heard it before on anyone, but I wouldn't have assumed it was made up either! Have you decided on a middle name yet? Layla is another name that is on the top of our list and one that I know my husband has said that he likes, but hasn't "committed" to.

hgreenwood7058 replied to Jackie03291's response:
I like both Lilia and Layla. Dh didn't like the name liliana (nickname lily) which is similar but I like it. We are having a boy though so any girl names are out the door for us lol. Dh was more antsy about finding a name for lil man than I was. I am glad that your hubby thought about what he had said and that he will look at the list tonight. Sometimes guys just don't understand that certain things are important to us and we want to get as many things done as possible. Or you say things and they go in one ear and out the other. You will find the perfect name for your LO. Best wishes

tdawntaylor responded:
My DH is kind of a "I don't care" guy. Before we ever got married I told him I'm naming my first two kids Bryson (for a boy) and Reagan (for a girl). You can pick any names we end up beyond that, as long as they end the same -that is a personal preference of mine. I have six brothers whose names all end with the "EN" sound. My name is Taylor, and I've always hated the way it sounds when you say all our names together because mine doesn't fit in right. I think it would be different if you only had two kids and they didn't end the same, or three or even four, but when there is seven it's like playing the "which one doesn't fit" game.

I like Colette as a name. I also REALLY like Liliana. Truth is there will always be someone who doesn't like the name you pick, and there will probably even be lots of times you questions it. I say go with your gut
Taylor-21 Nick-25
Angel Baby Lost 6/20/11 Bryson Scott Due 4/21/12

mam546 responded:
with our DS1 we picked out a name quickly and were very happy with it. With this LO we have been having the hardest time picking a name. I went through a huge book and picked out ones i would go for and presented them to DH and he either left them on there or crossed off ones he did not like. Even with the ones we were left non were fitting for us.

DH decided he liked a certain middle name so that stuck and It was more my choice for first name. I kept changing my mind and now I think i finally found one we both like. We keep our name to just the two of us ( and DS) until delivery so we don't get unsolicited advice on it. I could care less what others think. It's us that will have to live with our child. Even the grandparents won't know till the baby LO comes.

I like the name Colette. I have known only one person with that name. She wasn't my fav. persone but I still think it is a pretty name and more unique.

I think as long as your DH likes it as well your friend will not put it against you for choosing it. It is your child not hers.

When my sister had her 1st she chose Domonic as the name and everytime I heard it It made me think of a christmas song " domonic the donkey" I couldn't help it. But that wore off after a while. It's just a name association somone mighthave and it will take time to establish a new association with the name.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Going throught my first pregnancy. My wife has a 3 year old son. Yes he is my son too. My point is that she is pregnant with my first child. and there...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.