Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Stitches vs Staples
bbcntpa posted:
Seems like there are quite a few of us on here who've had c-sections so I wanted to do a little poll. Stitches versus Staples or something else. With my DS, the doctor used Dermabond (a kind of glue/tape) and I had no complaints with that. I've since moved and have different doctors. I was told that the doctors at my practice don't use Dermabond, so now I'm left wondering if I should request stitches or staples or if I should really try to push for them to use Dermabond again. Do you ladies have any feedback on what you preferred and why?
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (almost 4), EDD 5/3/12 - csection 4/27/12, Pink!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

lobermann responded:
I would love to know the answer to this question. I am having my first c-section on 3/20 and I didn't even think about how they close it up. I just assumed it was stitches.

jlynnpaine responded:
Lurking for another week. With my c-section the doctor used staples and they were fine for me. I was surprised when I was laying on the table and heard the noise from the staple gun. I asked him what it was and he told me. I said, "Oh, I just assumed you'd use stitches, but never really thought about it." He asked if I would prefer stitches and I said I didn't care, just that I was surprised. My incision healed up great and every doctor or nurse that looks at it comments on how nice it looks.

AAgradillas responded:
I really don't think it matters SO much on what they use, but more so the doctor's overall experience with doing csections. If you have a doctor who has done several csections and knows all the tricks of the trade, so to say, I think whatever he/ she uses will look just fine. My first doctor used staples with DD and my incision STILL opened and was awful. My doctor was AWFUL and a nightmare though! My doctor now, with DS and this LO is amazing and uses dermabond, BUT I'm pretty sure whichever one she used, the incision still would look great. She fixed my ugly scar from DD and now its tiny and hardly noticable. The only difference with staples is you'll have a few TINY scars from where the staples are, but they're SO tiny, you won't even notice them after a few months...
Amanda 27, DH Freddy 27, Madison DD 10/07/06, Parker DS 01/12/09, EDD 03/01/12 Csection Scheduled 02/22/12 for Baby Boy, Brayden!!!

bbcntpa replied to AAgradillas's response:
One of the reasons I liked the Dermabond is b/c it didn't require having to go back to the doctor to get anything removed. I'm not worried too much about the scarring issue. But I am a little worried about feeling the stitches or staples afterwards...things like my clothing catching on the stithes/staples. The idea kinda freaks me out. I want to be able to ignore their presence as much as possible. I guess I gross out easily. As it is, I didn't even look at my scar until about 2-3 weeks after DS was born. DH checked it daily, but I just didnt want to see it.

KBratt responded:
My dr used 2 things...I don't know if the inside was stitched or glued but then he used staples on the outside. I had no idea because I was bandaged for 2 days, but they took the staples out on the 3rd day before I left the hospital so there was never a problem with them catching on my clothes. I also continued to "bandage" the area because I was freaked out my it so I taped one of the big pads to it then my waist band layed on that instead of the scar.
Katie 24; DH-Ryan 23; DD-Kelsey 7/4/10; DS Riley Wayne EDD 3/6/12

candy352 responded:
I was wondering what that was that the doctor used on me, LOL. All I saw was the tape and people would ask if I got stitches or staples. I would always reply neither. I like the Dermabond. My cousin had a csection shortly after me and she had the staples and had to return later to get them removed. I healed up pretty nicely and liked the fact that I didn't have to return to get anything removed.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I had two different doctors use staples to close me up. They were taken out before I left the hospital and the nurse put tape on the incision after she was done removing the staples. My doctor removed the tape at my first post-partum appointments about two weeks later.

bbcntpa replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
that eases my mind a lot that the staples are gone before you leave the hospital. was the tape used dermabond or just that opaque bandage type tape?

KBratt replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
Ok, yea that is how mine went too!!

Also, they didn't ask or discuss it. I honestly never even thought of there being options.

bbcntpa replied to KBratt's response:
is it painful when the staples are removed? i dont even want to think about how they go about doing that. all i can think of is one of those staple removers like i use at work!

hgreenwood7058 replied to KBratt's response:
Not all providers will remove the staples before you leave the hospital. Often times they leave them in for about 7 days to help with healing but every provider is different. Thats standard practice where I live. Same with stitches (7-10 days). And then once they are removed they apply steri strips over the incision to help keep it closed while it continues to heal. And you can still shower and that type of thing afterward and once they begin to roll and fall off thats when they are done. Do note that if they don't use the stuff to help the steri strips stick better they can sometimes fall off sooner even when they are not quite ready to. If staples or stitches are removed before its healed enough sometimes there is pain involved but if its healed fairly well then its very minimal pain. Sometimes its just a weird feeling. And you are right when they take staples out it is very similar to the stapled removers from work the handle is just a little longer and the prongs are smaller (they are fun to take out lol--I was a certified medical assistant and floated between multiple departments so I got to remove both staples and stitches and do injections and draw blood and all that fun stuff and have personally had stitches taken out too early as well as when they were supposed to come out)

KBratt replied to bbcntpa's response:
It doesn't hurt. I was terrified! (as previously stated I am terrified of pain!) I was in tears just thinking about it, but you have no nerve endings where your incision is so you know they are doing it, just feels like little tugging. No pinch, no sting, nothing like that.

jlynnpaine replied to bbcntpa's response:
It didn't hurt at all when mine were removed. Like Heather said, it depends on the doctor. My doctor removed mine while we were still in the hospital, but we were there for 5 days and I honestly couldn't tell you what day he did it. I think the steri strips lasted for a couple weeks before they started peeling up and I took them off.

mlk240 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
I too am easily freaked out, and I had staples with my c-section and my ruptured ectopic surgery. Honeslty, all I did was make sure to take one of my pain pills before I went in to have them removed, and I didn't really notice much of anything. I will plan on doing the same thing this time.
Randi (31), DH (32), DS (7), EDD 4/12/12
Team Blue - Finnegan James, will call him Finn
32w

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, my name is Becca. DH and I had been TTC for 18 cycles before success!!! It was our 3 IUI and our 2nd round with Femara and Menopur. We got our BFP...More

Helpful Tips

help
what do contractions feel like? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.