Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
C-Section
lobermann posted:
I am having my first c-section on March 20th. I delievered my DD naturally/vaginally so this will be new for me. I have noticed that there are several women on here who have had c-sections, so I was wanting to know if any of you guys can give me any questions I should ask or any pointers or what to expect afterwards.

Thanks!

KBratt responded:
Can I ask why you are opting for a planned c-section this time?
Katie 24; DH-Ryan 23; DD-Kelsey 7/4/10; DS Riley Wayne EDD 3/6/12

lobermann replied to KBratt's response:
I am not opting for one. I would rather give birth vaginally. My placenta is to close to my cervix and it hasn't moved much since the last time the checked it. The doctor isn't so sure it will move in time especially since LO is laying right on it.

AmyLynnCampbell responded:
I have my section C-section on Mar. 14th so not too far ahead of you. Expect pain afterward. They will give you pain medication as needed, don't feel bad if you have to take it. Get your take home pain meds filled at the hospital pharmacy as you won't feel like going anywhere once you get home. I didn't even drive for 2-3 weeks after mine. Have your husband/mom or whatever support you have with you the first few weeks as you really can't lift anything and it hurts to move around. The TMI info tip I will give you is that constipation is normal after a birth, but much worse after a C-section due to the pain meds so eat lots of fiber prior to the Csection and after is my plan this time. Pack only loose clothing obviously for after to not rub on the incision. You will stay at least 2 days after the C-section if all goes well. Questions to ask ahead of time. At the pre-op appt. you may want to know what type of anesteology they will use: spinal or epidural. I am bringing this up in mine as with my first it was an emergency C-section and I had already had an epidural in labor, but it wasn't working correclty so I ended up with a spinal also so I'd just like the psinal from the get go this time. That's about all I can think of.

bbcntpa responded:
I didn't think the pain was that bad personally. In fact, once I left the hospital I only took 800mg ibuprofen b/c I hate taking strong narcotics. I also never had a problem with constipation...but then again that was never a problem for me during pregnancy either. What I did not expect was to have vaginal bleeding as significantly as if I had delivered vaginally. I just assumed that would be different....it's not. Also, like PP said....have very loose fitting clothes on hand, including big loose granny panties. The area of the inscision will be very tender for a few weeks and you will not want anything, like elastic waistebands, rubbing against it. Also, be very careful in the weeks afterward about stretching to reach something over your head or any sudden movements. But you absolutely do want to get up and moving as sson as possible to reduce scar tissue and promote healing, but the nurses will have you doing that while still in the hospital. I was in the hospital for 5 days b/c I was not a planned c-section and by the time DS was finally born it was almost midnight. But I think about 4 days is pretty common. Another thing to ask in advance, ask if the hospital will allow you to have the baby with you in recovery or ASAP, otherwise you might not get to hold baby until s/he is 1-2 hours old. Different places have different policies about that.
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (almost 4), EDD 5/3/12 - csection 4/27/12, Pink!

KBratt responded:
You will still bleed A LOT! Even up to 2-3 weeks after, the bleeding might taper off & you think all is well then BAM huge gush when you least expect it. You cannot do any lifting, stretching, reaching, bending, pulling, or driving for 2-4 weeks. Then I think you can only do light stuff til 6weeks. I remember them telling my husband I could not clean for like a month because as light as it might seem to him I would be either reaching, leaning, or pulling something (wiping with cloth, vacuum etc). They will send you home on meds, I honestly never felt any significant pain after but I admit I kept on my meds schedule because I am so terrified of pain I wanted to make sure I didn't feel any! I was up & trying to walk within a few hours but my nurse freaked out & made me lay back down (I was trying to go see DD in the NICU since she had come so early) . I had a spinal & other then the sting of feeling it go in there was no residual effects after- I didn't feel sleepy or groggy. You can't eat anything but ice chips for 12ish hours, then you "upgrade" to soft diet (jello, pudding, chicken broth etc) then I think after 24hours you can try real food. I remember starving & begging for real food. That's all I can think of right now.
Katie 24; DH-Ryan 23; DD-Kelsey 7/4/10; DS Riley Wayne EDD 3/6/12

candy352 replied to KBratt's response:
I had an emergency c-section in December. I did not expect the bleeding either, but that surprised me. I didn't know I would be in so much pain afterwards either. I couldn't stand up straight for a while. Also, you may want to invest in a recliner or rocking chair, something to help you sleep while sitting up. I know that was the only position that worked for me. Have a pillow handy in case you have to sneeze or cough. I didn't have any diet restrictions after the surgery though, besides having a diabetic meal. If you plan on breastfeeding, you should ask them if the nurses will bring the baby to you to nurse while you are recovering.

bbcntpa replied to candy352's response:
I didn't have any diet restrictions either. That might be another reason constipation wasn't a problem??
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (almost 4), EDD 5/3/12 - csection 4/27/12, Pink!

lobermann replied to bbcntpa's response:
Thank you guys so much for your responses!! I am still nervous, but knowing more of what I am up against helps so much more! I am luck that my mom and my DH will be there to help out. My DH isn't going to be taking a lot of time off work because he is going to use his time off of work for after I go back to work to be at home withe the LO, since it will be right around the time he has to have surgery on his foot and we don't want to send him to a babysitter right away.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
After my first c-section, I had such little pain that I actually forgot to take my pain meds and 11 days after DS was born, I was given the okay to drive since I wasn't taking my pain meds. Rolling over in bed was a bit uncomfortable and obviously I couldn't sleep on my stomach for a few weeks afterward.

After my second c-section, I had minor complications with bleeding and had to have 3 units of blood. I was given the okay to drive after two weeks but overdid it the first time out and was laid up for 2 days afterward. I had to take the pain meds longer after my second one. I had heavy bleeding 3 weeks after DD was born and had to go to the ER.

Like pregnancies are different from woman to woman and even within the same woman, c-sections are different as well.

cjl0510 responded:
I have had two previous c-sections, which were night and day compared to each other. My first, was after I had labored 22 hours and ended up having to have a c-section afterwards. My recovery was very hard. It took me almost a day to get up, and I couldn't walk straight upright for a week and a half afterwards. I was in tremendous amounts of pain. - And I have always had a high tolerance for pain.

With my second c-section, I was up walking around as soon as I got back from recovery.. and I didn't have much pain at all. (it was a scheduled c-section) . I don't know if it was because it was less hard on my body not being in labor before hand, or that I didn't have an epidural so I could get right up afterwards (which is another story in itself )

But needless to say, it's nice you have the opportunity to prepare before hand. I think that will help alot in your recovery! And you have just a couple of days left!! LUCKY DUCK

Spotlight: Member Stories

My DH and I have been married for 10 years. At first we put off having children to just spend time with each other and go and do the things we might n...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.