Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
why so many scheduling C-sections?
nadieva1980 posted:
Hi, i want to say in advance that i'm not judging whether you're having a c-section or natural birth. I'm 35 wks right now with my first baby and my EDD is 03/26/2012. I'm hoping that I don't have to have a c-section. However, I've noticed so many ladies having scheduled c-sections. I was curious: is that by choice or medically-related reasons? Both of my sisters luckily didn't have to have c-sections and didn't have to deal with any stitches and they both said that recovery time was probably shorter because of the natural birth. I've read some articles where it's pointed out that a lot of women are choosing c-sections because it's more convenient, but I am assuming that majority of women have them because of high-risk or position of the baby...what's your honest answer? could you share? thank you!

KBratt responded:
With my first child I had to have an emergency c-section because after 16hrs of contractions they could not stop she had to come out & was breech. I never wanted a c-section & was quite upset that I had to have one. This pregnancy I was allowed the option to chose a VBAC or a repeat c-section. I was pretty set on trying a VBAC until my dr gave me the consent form I had to agree to all the risks & it terrified me. DH & I decided we were more comfortable with the repeat c-section then the risks involved with possibly getting to have a VBAC. I know my dr will not allow a scheduled c-section on a first pregnancy unless there is a medical reason.
Katie 24; DH-Ryan 23; DD-Kelsey 7/4/10; DS Riley Wayne EDD 3/6/12

lobermann replied to KBratt's response:
Katie, my doctor is the same way. They won't schedule a c-section unless there is a medical reason. I am scheduled for one because the placenta is to close to the cervix. They even told me that if it moves enough they will let me go into labor naturally.

Jackie03291 responded:
I had an emergency c-section with my first for many reasons which I'm sure that you don't want to hear about now, but either way my dr. now does not give me the option to even try for a vbac. Their policy is once a c-section, always a c-section. I'm sure that it is mostly for insurance purposes, but I didn't feel like finding a different dr. just for a vbac, especially since I am considered high risk anyways due to high blood pressure. I feel much better about having another c-section this time around especially after the disaster of a delivery I had the first time around.
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 due 5/4/12

tdawntaylor responded:
Honestly, if it were an option for me, I'd choose a C-Section. I was 18 before I could use a tampon, and after I had a miscarriage, it took me a while to be okay with anything going in me. I've always been super sensitive, and yes I know that sounds silly because I know how women get pregnant, but I'm a big ole fraidy-cat.

I am soooo terrified of having a vaginal birth! I think I could handle them cutting me open a lot better. I know the recovery from vaginal is supposed to be MUCH easier, I just can't wrap my head around a 20 inch 8lb. baby coming OUT of me!
Taylor-21 Nick-25
Angel Baby Lost 6/20/11 Bryson Scott Due 4/21/12

bbcntpa responded:
There have been a lot of news reports lately about the increase in c-sections and they make it sound like the vast majority of c-sections are women choosing to do them out of convenience. One report I saw recently on NBC Nightly News is a good example....but that particular report failed to say anything at all about the fact that once a woman has a c-section, it is extremely difficult to find a doctor/hospital that will allow her to attempt a vaginal birth with subsequent pregnancies.....so, as women have additional children and therefore additional c-sections, of course the number goes up. I don't personally know of any women that have had a c-section the first time around just out of convenience....I think it would actually be hard to find a lot of doctors that would agree to that. It's almost always for a medical reason the first time it is done and then after that it's b/c a lot of doctors/hospitals won't allow you to attempt a VBAC for liability reasons.

For me personally, my water broke on it's own and most doctors/hospitals want the baby to be delivered within 18-20 hours after the water breaks or else the baby runs the risk of infections. After my water broke, I was induced yet I still wouldn't dilate. I underwent an epidural (which I originally did not want) just to try to dilate more quickly b/c I was trying to AVOID having a c-section. But 20 hours after my water broke and 1 hour after pushing, the doctor determined that my son's head was too big to push past my pubic bone and that we were already risking infection, so I had the c-section after all that. This time around I did not even attempt to find a doctor that would agree to a VBAC b/c I like the doctors/practice I'm with now and they don't allow VBACs and also, I know that there is a 50/50 chance of my baby having a big head (like Daddy) again and running into the same dilema. My body was exhausted and recovery was more difficult after such a long labor and a big mix of drugs.....I do not want to risk going through all of that again only to end up with a c-section yet again. I would rather err on the side of caution and have the best recovery possible.
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (almost 4), EDD 5/3/12 - csection 4/27/12, Pink!

mlk240 replied to bbcntpa's response:
I had to have a c-section with my first son because I had been induced due to gestational diabetes, and the baby was measuring at 10lbs. After 26 hours of labor, I got to 9cm and then started swelling shut. I went back down to 7cm, and they said that my DS was getting stressed, so they did the c-section. I then had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy where I lost my right tube, and to do that emergency surgery, they opened up my c-section incision again. That was only 7 months before I got pregnant, so my doctor has said he wouldn't even allow me to try a vaginal birth because there is too high of a risk of rupture for me.

Honestly, I feel like I am missing out on a vaginal birth experience, and I wish nothing more than being able to experience that. But, at the same time, the end result of a healthy mom and baby means more to me, and I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never deliver a baby vaginally, and I am not willing to change doctors to try. My current OB is the person who saved my life when my tube ruptured, and I don't want to leave his practice.
Randi (31), DH (32), DS (7), EDD 4/12/12
Team Blue - Finnegan James, will call him Finn
32w2d

cjl0510 responded:
For each of my pregnancies I have been considered 'high risk' because of a dysautonomia that I have which makes my heart rate increase easily and my blood pressure plummet. When I reached 37 weeks, my doctor told me I was 'decompensating' and they had to induce me or my heart could create problems. ( I was lying on the floor in the waiting room before my dr. appt because I was too dizzy to stand ). After being in labor for 22 hours, she was worried about my heart - and I wasn't dialating. Recovery was extremely hard.

I wish I could've delivered naturally - but my Dr. even thought that if I tried to push to deliver the baby, it would make me pass out. So I guess in my case, it's probably best they did the c-section. - This LO will be my 3rd c-section.

candy352 responded:
My c-section was an emergency situation. I soooo wish I could have had a vaginal birth. I was terrified of the pain and all, but our bodies were made for it so I was ready to endure. I had to be induced because of my diabetes and blood sugar levels, and after 23 hours of labor, they decided that I needed to have an emergency c-section. I felt forced into the decision, but I'm glad that I have my LO here safe and sound. It will probably be hell trying to find a doctor to do a VBAC. During this one, there was not even an OB that would see me in my city so I had to travel an hour every week because I'm high risk. Also wished I had it vaginally because I wouldn't have been in so much pain for so long after the childbirth. I heard it takes longer to recover from a c-section, but I had no idea it would be like that. I was not prepared at all for the pain that followed.

tchance55 responded:
I had an emergency c-section with my second DS because his heart rate increased and stayed up and I was only at 7cm. And with my third LO my dr wouldn't do a VBAC but I was fine with that because I had planned on having a tubal so that would make the process easier. I must say though that my recovery from my c-sections were not too bad as long as I took my pain meds and I am happy to have doctors who were able to keep my scar very minimal.
Me(24), DH(24), DS(3), DS(1), EDD 12/1/11 Team Pink!!

AmyLynnCampbell responded:
My hospital and OB would not let you "pick" a C-section. And if you could find one that would that would be a costly decision as insurance won't pay for elective C-sections. I do know that some women do chose this option. I had to have an emergency one with my first for many reasons. I'm so glad that I did cause a friend had a baby with the same problems mine had that was pulled out anyway with a broken shoulder and not breathing. I have read many articles about them being on the rise. I think they are probably abused some cause it's easier and less risky for some. My sister had a successful vaginal birth, then a C-section due to her baby being breech, but without other complications. She couldn't find a Dr. in the whole State who would even try a breech birth vaginally. But, she's a good candidate for a VBAC with her 3rd. This is my 2nd and I'm electing the repeat C-section although my OB would try the VBAC. He doesn't think I"m a good candidate for the VBAC and I trust his opinion. Also, due to the 19 hours of laboring and the vacuum usage that didn't work my 1st was admitted to the hospital for 5 days due to a hematoma so I strongly believe it will be safer for the baby in my case as I'm too small and have large babies thanks to my hubbies genes. Also, even though they are probably abused some and are overdone at times due to convenience I do believe that there are way less mother and infant deaths in labor as we have this option now. So, I can see both sides of the fence and never wanted a C-section, but am glad it was available.

nadieva1980 responded:
Thank you all for sharing. It is very interesting and moving to read the experiences. I wish you all easy deliveries and healthy babies
I was curious about C-sections because I am terrified of labor pains, but someone mentioned that we're 'made' to give birth so if I can be dignified during labor and deliver a healthy baby, that's all that matters. My due date is last week of March, and it's very important for me to have the shortest recovery possible since I'm going to be a single mom (not planned, but my DO's dad wasn't ready to take on the responsibility and I don't expect his support)...Time is flying and I'm counting down weeks left Exciting and scary at the same time.....Anyway, thank you all for your answers.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I would have liked to have a vaginal delivery but due to a myomectomy that removed several fibroids, my doctor said I had to have c-sections. I wanted the rush to the hospital in the middle of the night experience and thought I wouldn't get that but DS had other plans. My water started leaking around midnight 2 days before his scheduled c-section so so I had it then. DD behaved and waited until she was scheduled.

akagirl1999 responded:
It's always been my understanding that a cesarean was only done in the event of an emergency. However, it's become a convenient procedure for both doctors and some women. Most women don't understand that its major surgery and cutting of major muscles and recovery is much longer than giving birth naturally. Plus those mucles are never back 100%. I come from a medical family, and I was always told that I should only agree to a cesarean if my life or the baby's life was in danger. When I was pregnant with my daughter now 5yrs old, my lamas coach said the same thing. I gave my then doctor a birth plan that stated that. However, when I got induced my doctor was annoyed that I was talking so long to dilate and suggested several times that we do a cesarean, but could never give a good medical reason as to why we should proceed with that route. Needless to say my husband and I decided that we would proceed naturally. I allowed my body to progress naturally and do what it was designed to do. My daughter was born a healthy baby. I did change doctors after that experience. Another thing, allot of doctors won't allow you to deliver naturally if you've had a previous cesarean. This is also not medically correct.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My pic is of Eli at 30 wks and 1 dy Too Sweet! My story is weird long and complicated I am a happy single mom and finallay after 32 years know where I...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.