Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Should I be more frightened?
oboingo76 posted:
I am 39 weeks 4 days today - waiting to have this baby any minute (no signs of labor yet though). I feel like I should be more nervous and frightened of labor and delivery. I'm a first time mom - I've never done this before. I am not scared of the horrific pain I'm about to endure. Is it just because I'm too ignorant to know what is going to hit me? LOL!

The only worries I have are about my baby getting here safely and that nothing will go wrong for her. I even think about how scary it probably is for them to be pushed out all of a sudden into this new, bright, dry, cold environment.

It just seems like usually moms about to do this are much more frightened about the delivery process and I'm just not. Am I alone in this? I've been waiting several weeks for the fear to kick in but it hasn't yet.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Not alone. While labor sucks (from what I hear and know through reading) I am not dwelling how much its going to hurt. I just can't wait to meet my lil man. I am 32 weeks2days. I think I am more anxious waiting for him to come than anything lol. Its going to hurt obviously but atleast we get something great at the end. Oh and prefer not to have my water break at work since I sit at a desk and theres carpet everywhere lol.

Lysana responded:
No. Not being afraid is a good thing! It sounds like you know it's going to be painful, and you're prepared for that. It's going to be VERY painful - but the good thing about the pain, if there is one, is that it doesn't mean there is anything to be worried about - the pain is normal. That was the biggest thing that I needed to realize, and that knowledge REALLY helped me in my labor with Bekah.

The other thing that helped was choosing to relax during contractions rather than tense up.

Good luck, and congrats on being just about there! I'm in "waiting mode," too, at 39w6d today!
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1.5) ~~ Samuel John (EDD 2/24/2012) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011) ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ Siamese Kittybabies Waller and Lessa (9)

jlynnpaine responded:
I think it's great that you're not feeling afraid. I never had fear of the pain of labor and delivery either. I just worried about baby being healthy and being delivered safely.

Ruby00 responded:
The excitement is way more powerful than the fear. After all the waiting you will get to meet your little baby and any pain just fades away in the back part of your mind. I was more excited to be done with being pregnant and to meet my daughter and the fact that once they decide to come you can't stop it lol Good luck with everything hope it goes smooth!

bbcntpa responded:
Nope, I had no fear with DS either. I was super excited and that had me a little nervous. I was also anxious about my mother getting there before he was born (she lived 2.5 hrs away at that time) b/c I really wanted her to be there for the big moment. Once she arrived I relaxed a lot. I actualy don't feel like I even experienced a lot of pain.....I'd have to look at the monitors to even know when I was having a contraction. My kidney stones have been more painful! And whatever pain I did feel is a long distant memory.....maybe b/c I chose not to focus on it. You're doing great and I hope you get to meet your little bambino soon!
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (almost 4), EDD 5/3/12 - csection 4/27/12, Pink!

akagirl1999 responded:
Your feelings are quite normal. Yes its going to be painful but its amazing when you see or hear your baby for the first time all that pain and anxiety goes completely away. Childbirth is an unexplainable miracle. I'm so excited for you ladies who are about to experience this for the first time.
Best of luck and to all healthy babiesJ.

KBratt responded:
I am terrified of pain, so to me that is so weird...I have been absolutely mortified of my spinal since I got my BFP...I am having a repeat c-section, but that is the most miserable part that I remember from delivering my DD. Getting that shot in the back! I have worried, & cried & stressed over that for the last 9months & am still afraid how I will react...my DH is like all you other ladies he keeps telling me to focus on getting our lil man into my arms & it won't freak me out as much. BUT then I think I have to get the shot, & get cut open & swen back up to be able to hold him & it seems like a lifetime away.

I have also recently (in the last few days) worried about my suture busting open! Which is even more scary for me!! ahhhh, I am a nervous wreck! I know that is one reason I am so anxious to get things moving because I know once everything is happening I won't have time to worry anymore.
Katie 24; DH-Ryan 23; DD-Kelsey 7/4/10; DS Riley Wayne EDD 3/6/12

mrshoro responded:
Your not alone. A woman's body is made to birth.
I'm not afraid and BoyHoro is going to be my first too. I'm planning to let my body and BoyHoro do their thing when its time and just listen to what my body needs. I plan on epi-free possibly and med-free birth.

My one of my sisters, me, my DH, my BIL and well as thousands of babies were born without fear and without drugs.

http://birthwithoutfearblog.com/ has some amazing stories.

Allaya9 responded:
Your not alone and like you I was not nervous right before I went into labor, I think I was just so ready to have him out and meet my little man. Your body knows what to do, I found that out lol. I was more nervous about the baby doing ok and not being able to deliver him vaginally. The pain is pretty bad, I chose to get meds then an epidural (I was really sick to my stomach so they gave me phenegrane). I'm also a wimp with pain and glad I did take the epi since labor lasted through the night I was able to get some sleep before the long pushing process. (Ended up pushing for 3 hours, his head got caught on my pelvis and they had to rotate him but he would rotate back argh). Good luck!
Me(36) DH(37) EDD 9/10/11 Blue Team! Our first! Lochlan Sidney

Lysana replied to akagirl1999's response:
I agree with all the ladies who are saying that the memory of the pain fades. I remember that it hurt a lot, but I don't really remember what it felt like. Apparently that's actually an effect from the birthing hormones - you don't remember the "trauma" of it as vividly as you'd think you would. Pretty interesting stuff.

I'm not sure how well that holds if you're induced, though, because synthetic oxytocin doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, which means it doesn't trigger the release of other hormones like natural oxytocin does.
Kelly (32) ~~ Craig (36) ~~ Eliana (5) ~~ Joshua (3.5) ~~ Rebekah (1.5) ~~ Samuel John (EDD 2/24/2012) ~~ ^i^ Pumpkin (March 2011) ~~ ^i^ (Jan 2006) ~~ Siamese Kittybabies Waller and Lessa (9)

hevans0516 responded:
I'm not scared about the labor and delivery itself. Just nervous about all that will happen after. I'm supposed to go through the "trama" of labor and delivery, take care of myself afterwords, recover, oh and take care of a little baby girl who may or may not sleep enough to let mommy rest....

Then I think I can't wait to meet her!
ME (29) DH (31) EDD 4/17/2012 Team Pink! Can't wait til Phoebe is here!

cshyronia replied to KBratt's response:
Thats probably becasue having a c-section is way more paiful then vaginal delivery. I would never want a to go through that. But I do agree with you. I hate pain. I will get the epidural but the thought of that needle in my back makes me cringe. I must say the closer i get to my due date i fear the pain. Only thing is once the baby is out you forget all about the pain you have experienced.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 28 years old and married to the best man in the world! I have 2 other children (Caron-10) (Quincy-6) (Keyondre) and one step son that love to dea...More

Helpful Tips

help
what do contractions feel like? More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.