Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Whyyyyyy?!?!?!
tdawntaylor posted:
Why did no one tell me that in the Group B Strep Test they do a rectal swab?!?!?!?!?!

There I was, laying all comfy (ha!) in the stirrups, thinking it was over, next thing I know he sticks a Q-Tip up my butthole! I still haven't recovered, I don't know if I ever will!
Taylor-22 Nick-25
Angel Baby Lost 6/20/11 Bryson Scott Due 4/21/12
FirstPrevious12NextLast

bbcntpa responded:
Mine didn't do one. However, my sweaty arse might have scared her away! She was running way behind. When they finaly put me in an exam room, told me to disrobe from the waist down and sit on the paper covered exam table, I had no clue that I would be sitting there like that for 50 MINUTES! Talk about uncomfortable. By the time she finally got there and told me to scoot down, I couldn't slide across the paper b/c it was so wet with sweat and plastered to my rump! Maybe she decided I had suffered enough already and skipped the rectal swab
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (almost 4), EDD 5/3/12 - csection 4/27/12, Pink!

lobermann responded:
They didn't do that to me when I had that test done.

cjl0510 responded:
That's too bad he didn't warn you before hand! Luckily it's just a quick swab. It's just to be more thorough I guess, to make sure it's not anywhere 'down there'. LOL. Sorry you've been tramatized! At least you didn't open your mouth and say, "AHH"

tlkittycat1968 responded:
MIne didn't do that.

Jackie03291 responded:
I just had mine today and he said that they do right inside the vagina and then the surrounding area outside, so maybe that's why it felt like he went in your butt?? He definitely brushed mine when he was doing the outside swipe, but did not go in.
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 due 5/4/12 but c-section scheduled for 4/24/12!!

tdawntaylor replied to Jackie03291's response:
He definitely went in. He did warn me right before he did it, but I didn't have enough time to even process what he had said before he was in there!
Taylor-22 Nick-25

Jackie03291 replied to tdawntaylor's response:
Oh no! Yeah, I would not have been happy about that either. It was bad enough having the surround "area" swabbed! LOL

That's OK I totally was not expecting to have to do mine at all! They told me that they were going to do it at my 36 week visit, which would have been next week, so I was totally unprepared when she told me to strip down for my strep test! Oh well, at least it is done! I have a feeling it will be positive anyways...I had it with my first!
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 due 5/4/12 but c-section scheduled for 4/24/12!!

tdawntaylor replied to Jackie03291's response:
What all do you have to do if you DO have it?
Taylor-22 Nick-25

brokenlove replied to tdawntaylor's response:
My cousin had it with both her babys basically her dr told he as soon as labor begins to go in to make sure its actually labor because you will require to shots of antibiotics(i believe) prior to delivery this way it helps protect baby from getting an infection from it, its other wise harmless but some babys will get an infection if born without the mother getting the meds.
Me 24(as of 4/12), DS 9/1/08 emergancy c-section(Izaiah) 3.5, EDD Attempting VBAC (Leilani Lexi) 5/11/12

angelsmythers replied to tdawntaylor's response:
This is too funny! My doctor warned me with DS that he was going to do it. BUT at my post partum check up he did NOT warn me he was going to stick his finger in my butt!!!!! I think I about jumped off of the table! lol

Taylor if you have group b strep depending on the hospital you may have to stay an extra day just so they can watch baby and you will also get iv antibiotics when you are in labor. I had it with DS and just had antibiotics while in labor and they kept us an extra day just to make sure DS didnt get an infection.

BekahS responded:
I remember with DD they did a swab of the cervical area and the OUTSIDE of the anus....still way weird! Not inside the butt though! I would have flew to the ceiling. I was positive and all they did was make sure that I had the proper amount of IV antibiotics before my water was broken. No extra days for me or baby.
Me (Bekah) 25, DF (Shane) 25, DD (Avery) 4
Expecting our second bundle of joy 6/28/2012. Team Blue!

BekahS replied to bbcntpa's response:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that gets all sweaty every time they tell me to strip down and hang out on the paper covered table. Haha!
Me (Bekah) 25, DF (Shane) 25, DD (Avery) 4
Expecting our second bundle of joy 6/28/2012. Team Blue!

mom2aboy3 responded:
when do they useually check for the strep b i am 32 weeks and i have herd it was bout 34 or 36 weeks along but honestly i didnt have it done with my last pregnancy then again i was 33w5d when i gave birth maybe they tested for it when i went into labor on that monday i had to stay there til they got the steroids in me for his lungs and antibiotics for a bladder infection and then i was able to go home on wednesday and i was bak couple hours later cause my water broke he was born friday evening

hgreenwood7058 responded:
depends on how they do things. It is a vaginal and rectal swab bu most don't shove the tip all the way up.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Mandy (23) and I am happily (most of the time) married to Brad (25). We have an almost three year old son named Dylan and are very excited ...More

Helpful Tips

How to load photos on WebMD
WebMD has created a guide to assist you with loading your photos. Photo upload guide More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.