Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Jessica Simpson's pregnancy weight gain. Is it too much?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
This week on The View, Joy Behar referred to Jessica Simpson's pregnant body as "fat"! Shortly after the comment, Tori Spelling and Sarah Palin came to Jessica's defense.

Jessica recently posed nude for the cover of Elle and discussed loving her larger body.

Do you embrace your pregnancy weight gain?
Do you think it is rude to comment on a pregnant woman's weight?
Would you or have you posed nude in pregnancy pics?
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

BekahS responded:
Im sure I will get some heat for this....

Jessica had always been someone who has to fight to be "fit." I think she is just naturally a bit heavier than the "ideal" hollywood body. That being said, it seems she thinks pregnancy as a ticket to eat whatever and gain whatever. But I'm not her Dr. If she's within a health weight gain for her pregnancy, then good for her. I think that her photo shoot for Vanity Fair (?) was altered. Look at some of her photos with clothes and compare to the cover.....there is a obvious difference.

BUT.....its not anyones business. She's happier than she's ever been, good for her. I personally am not enjoying carrying around all this extra weight but I know its for growing this amazing human inside me. I think it's rude anyone questions a pregnant womans weight gain....its not their business. Unless its her physician. And no one need to see me naked...let alone pregnant and naked!
Me (Bekah) 25, DF (Shane) 25, DD (Avery) 4
Expecting our second bundle of joy 6/28/2012. Team Blue!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I embraced my weight gain because I was thrilled to be pregnant both times. With my DD, I only gained 10 lbs and two weeks after she was born, I weighed 9 lbs less than my pre-pregnancy weight. Gained it back though.

Yes, it's very rude to comment on a pregnant worman's weight gain whether you think she's gained too much or not enough.

I've never posed nude and not sure if I would have when pregnant. I have a scar from my two c-sections and my myomectomy. I don't care it's there but not sure if I'd want anyone else to see it.

mom2aboy3 responded:
if her weight gain is healthy then good for her if shes happy wiht how she looks pregnant good for her if she feels as though she wants and is goign to take nude pics while pregnant then good for her
i myself would not do any of the pics i also think its rude for anyone to comment on a pregnant persons weight gain seriously some wemon may be very unhappy with it and all and some are happy but eigther way no one shoudl call any pregnant women fat
i my self am a big perosn who was and is loosing weight i was over 300 lbs and by the time i got pregnant i was 236 i am now 214 this is all with this pregnancy and 6 months prior to it i have tryed to stay where i am right now at 32 weeks because i want to make sure i dont loose to much weight my doc says the babys healthy and to just try no to loose to much more because a month ago i was at 205 and ive gained 9lbs inthe last month but i guess its ok as soon as i have the baby im gogin back on my diet to loose alot more of this weight because i seem to be happier now thne i was a yr ago when i was bigger i have always struggled with my weight and im trying so hard now to keep it off and to keep looseing but not right now

BabyDems responded:
I think it is refreasing....I too am one who has to to work to stay in shape, and after my first pregancy that ended in a miscarriage, I wasn't going to risk anything with my next one, so I stoped running....I gained a lot for a five foot women, not to mention ten pounds looks like twenty when your that short and no where for the weight to go. It's nice to know I'm not a lone in going from small...to well.....Huge! And not to mention it proves that every women's body is different and no one should compare one pregnant woman to another....which happens to me a lot from strangers. It is very frustrating and heart breaking when they tell you how huge you are compared to their....friend, sister, daughter....whoever.....I don't know why people think that they can say whatever they want to someone they don't even know about their weight, it's like preganacy is a free ticket to say what you want.....95% of these people would not say anything to someone for gaining so much weight if they weren't pregnant!
Me (30) DH (31) EDD 9/9/10 Our First

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
My OB and I had an agreement. I did not want to know how much I weighed or how much weight I gained. I would stand on the scale, close my eyes and the RN would write it on the chart - never to be mentioned.

I was a bit overweight when surprised with a pregnancy and I had seen so many friends focused on weight. I did not want to discuss it unless it became an issue.

I know I gained A LOT, but still to this day do not know how much.
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey I am the mother of a beautiful daughter born on june 9th, 2010. awaiting the excitment of whats to come!!

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.