Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
what are you packing in your hospital bag?
BabyDems posted:
Packing tomorrow....what are you ladies packing in your hospital bag? I don't want to over pack, but don't want to forget anything either!
Me (31) DH (32) DD (19 months) EDD: 5/28/12 It's a GIRL!

KimberlyHall2015 responded:
I'm 38w6d so I've had mine packed for a couple of weeks. I packed pajamas, slippers, an outfit to come home in, and all of the personal items like soap and shampoo. Also, my ipod, phone charger, camera w/ charger and extra SD cards. For my daughter I packed a blanket, a couple of outfits plus her outfit to come home in, matching hairbows, hairbrush, and her diaper bag. I packed some snacks for my older children and my husband so they don't have to hunt down the vending machines if they don't want to. Oh, and my boppy and nursing cover.

mwhite80 responded:
Lurking from the second trimester,
The list from the previous post is right on. Dont forget to bring the baby book if you want the foot prints recorded after birth. Also hair ties and brush, I know I didnt want my hair in my face during delivery. Sometimes it is nice to bring something for your older child from baby since all the attention will be on the new baby. If you are nursing dont for get your nursing bra and breast pads too. Good luck
Madeline(30)DH Nathan(29)-DS Paul(3), Angel baby mc @ 6weeks 8/2008, New Baby girl hpt 6/5/10 edd 2/12/11, Pink team

jlbwondering35 responded:
I don't know about your hospital, but ours does not provide actual baby wipes. They give you cloths. So we brought baby wipes last time and are doing it again. My hospital just stopped providing pacifiers, so if we want our LO to use a pacifier then we have to bring that too.

You probably don't need her diaper bag b/c the hospital will supply you with diapers, and they'll give her her bath and lotion her all up. Plus have those supplies in the bassinet for her already.

I'm going to bring my breast pump this time incase she doesn't latch (like my son) at least this way I'll have a way to get her colostrum until she figures it out.

Other PP covered what else I brought last time and will bring this time. Don't forget your car seat for going home

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
I packed my bag and a diaper bag for me and one for my husband.

In mine:
toiletries (I still need some face wash)
outfit
underwear
pads
3 nightgowns and a robe

I just need to remember to bring at least 1 boppy. Hopefully, I'll have my breast pump by then. I need to buy 2 baby books for the twins. I have baby wipes and pacifiers in their bags.

angelsmythers responded:
PP covered it pretty well. I am also have breast pads in my bag! You will need them! And if you don't already have one, a nice comfy bra! I have lots of sports bras in my bag.

sarahann1978 responded:
I'm lurking for another week, but one thing I plan to pack this time that I did not last time was either mittens or a baby nail clipper. DS has super long nails after birth and was prone to scratch his face. I think at one point they finally trimmed them, but I want to be proactive about it this time!

tlkittycat1968 responded:
I'd include a book for you. I had a c-section and was in the hospital 48 hours after both births and there were times when DS/DD was sleeping and other than my mom, I had no visitors.

BabyDems replied to KimberlyHall2015's response:
oh...almost for slippers!
Thank you!
Me (31) DH (32) DD (19 months) EDD: 5/28/12 It's a GIRL!

FrenchBulldogMom replied to BabyDems's response:
I found some slippers on Target.com that were on sale and BOGO half off. THey were online only, but they should be here in 5-6 days.

tlkittycat1968 responded:
Don't forget socks. I tend to get cold feet and they helped. Bring more than one pair though because I managed to pee on the ones the hospital gave me. Yes, I was wearing them at the time.

FrenchBulldogMom replied to tlkittycat1968's response:
I can't wait to have my babies. I pee on everything, LOL!!!

jedmonds12 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
(lurking)

LOL @FrenchBulldogMom Awww...

I overpacked when I had DS last year, so this year I'm keeping it light. A toiletries bag, black undies & black pj pants for after all the initial "checking you out down there" business is done, nursing bras and tank tops, fuzzy socks with grippy bottoms (they double as slippers!), 2 going-home outfits for baby (one NB size, one 3-month size), camera, cell phone, and laptop in bag w/chargers, 2 outfits for DH and his shaving kit. Also a pillow, boppy, and the baby's car seat.

It's easiest for me to stay in the hospital-provided gowns for the first day due to all the checking that the nurses do (plus I don't feel bad if I bleed on them) and the LC's that come in and whip your boobs out, LOL. It's easiest to keep baby in the white long sleeve side-fasten shirts they provide, and they provide all the diapers, wipes, and swaddling blankets at my hossy. They also provide LOTS pads and disposable undies for me, so that's nice.

I also recommend leaving extra space in the bag you're bringing, or bringing another smaller bag for all the loot they give you. I mean, they're charging you for EVERYTHING, so you might as well take it with you when you go. Snap up all the wipes, diapers, baby blankies, and pads you can. Plus your big water cup, squeezie bottle for *ahem* post-baby-sensitive-area cleaning, and whatever else they toss your way.
Julie (27), DF (34). Our little boy is due 4/18/11!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
I arrived to labor and delivery with nothing! I had prepared so well and the bag was at home ready to go, but was admitted unexpectedly at 36 wks after one of my bi-weekly appointments.

A friend luckily arrived with a camera and all I remember really wanting was gum!

So, my addition to the list is - Gum!

Elizabeth
I'm Putting on Purple May 18th to raise Lupus Awareness!

Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey everyone! Kaileigh (25) DH (28) DSD (10) DSD (8) and of course LO- Braxton James due 10/10/2011! Go Team Blue!

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.