Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Birth Story
jlynnpaine posted:
Short: Avriana Celine was born Saturday, May 26th at 2:55 a.m. (at 10 days past due via successful vbac)

Long: Thursday I had cramping off and on all day. Friday, same thing in the morning. Shae and I had our usual Friday morning hanging out. Then around 11:00 they starting getting painful and were 4 minutes apart. I put Gat, my mom, and my doula on standby just so they'd be aware. Gat got home from work about 1:00 (he works a short day on Fridays) and showered and got ready. My dad came home from work early because my mom had to go to town to the doctor for a horrible bladder infection. Once we were ready, he came up to our house to hang out with Shae (she was still napping) until my mom got home. We headed to the city around 2:00 with the contractions still 4 minutes apart and getting stronger. Checked into the hospital at 3:15, was at a 3 and still having good hard contractions every 4 minutes. By about 7:30 I decided I wanted an epidural because nothing was helping with the pain and I was still only at 5 cm so I knew I had a long way to go. Got my epidural and once it kicked in I felt good and got some rest. They gave me a button for it so I could give myself a dose when I started feeling pain. At some point they checked me and I was a 7-8 and she was still at 0 station so they had me get up on my knees and lean on the back of my bed to help her move down more. I did that for about 45 minutes or so. Then they checked me, and my water broke and there was meconium in it. My nurse was AMAZING and was so great about reassuring me that it was nothing to panic about. However, shortly after that, the baby's heart rate kept dropping so they kept having me switch from one side to the other to try to get it up. That didn't work so I had to have oxygen. Her heart rate came back up and I got complete. At about 1:45 a.m. they had me start pushing and I quit using my epidural because I couldn't feel to push good. I was still on the oxygen and had to be on my side between contractions because with each contraction, her heart rate would drop down into the 50s and 60s. The doctor said that if I didn't get her out soon, they were going to move me to the OR to deliver because she couldn't let me go much longer with her heart rate dropping that low and that I'd have to have a c-section if I couldn't get her out soon. So somewhere around 2:30 they took me in the OR, I got on the operating table and continued to push there. She had me push on every other contraction to give baby's heartrate time to recover between pushing. Everyone was prepping everything for a c-section and I was pushing my ass off. They'd been able to see her head pretty much from the time I started pushing and I was so scared that I was going to get to that point and still wind up with a c-section. It was seriously so frustrating! The doctor kept reminding me that I needed to get her out soon or she'd have to do the c-section. I asked her if I could try squatting or something and she said no, that it wasn't that I wasn't pushing well, just that I didn't have time to get her out because of the decels...

Continued in comments

jlynnpaine responded:
Finally the doctor asked if I wanted her to try an episiotomy (she knew that I didn't want one unless absolutely necessary) and reminded me that I may wind up with both an episiotomy and c-section. I was like, "Yes do it!" As soon as she did, I pushed twice and her head came out. And they told me to wait and I was so worried about her shoulders because my old doctor scared the sh** out of me by saying that there was a good likelihood of a shoulder dystocia because she was so big. But with the next push, she slid right out like it was nothing. It was AMAZING and terrifying at the same time. I'm so glad everything is fine (they did blood work to make sure she was getting enough blood and oxygen and it all came back fine so there is no need to worry about any sort of brain damage) and no problems from the meconium. My recovery has been amazing. I feel so good. We got home today.

korin81 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Great birth story! Congrats on your little girl
Korin(31), DH(26), DS(3), DD(1), Khloe Madison EDD: 10/18/12

nicram8683 responded:
Wow what a delivery!! Congrats on the new precious addition to your family! Enjoy!
Nicole(28)Mike(30) 8yr old DD
Diagnosed MFIF June 2011 after 27 months no BC(12 months active trying)
BFP: 8/2011 M/C @ 6 weeks 9/2011
BFP: 10/2011 EDD 06/25/2012 It's a BOY!!

jlbwondering35 responded:
Insane birth story! Glad to hear everything turned out perfectly! Congratulations!!!

hgreenwood7058 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
congrats momma!
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

sarahann1978 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Way to go Jodi, and congrats on your little girl and your successful VBAC! I am so exicted and it gives me hope and inspiration that I can do it too!

sarahann1978 responded:
How much did she end up weighing?

sumis replied to jlynnpaine's response:
COngrats to you and your Baby girl .Glad everything turned out good .Now you are my inspiration for the VBAC

jlynnpaine replied to sarahann1978's response:
Thanks! I hope you get your vbac too. Sorry, I forgot about her weight and length. She was only ( ) 8lbs, 7 oz and 21.5 inches long.

EEE4565 responded:
Congrats
Mom to Sean born 5/3/2012

countrygirlkay responded:
Congrats that's so exciting to have a VBAC!

Jackie03291 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Congrats!!!!!! What a beautiful name and a beautiful birth story!! So glad you got your VBAC!!!
Jackie (27) Bryan (36) Ava 10/14/08 Baby Girl 2 due 5/4/12 but c-section scheduled for 4/24/12!!

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Congratulations Jodi!

Wow, what an amazing birth story, all the way to the OR and no C-Section! Great job Mamma!

Can't wait to hear more about how you and Avriana are doing over on Baby's First Year .

Many blessings to you and your family,
Elizabeth
Elizabeth
~To be a child is to know the joy of living, To have a child is to know the gift of life.~ Author Unknown

FrenchBulldogMom replied to jlynnpaine's response:
Congratulations on your baby girl!!! I'm glad that you're feeling well after all you've gone through.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married since January of this year with a beautiful wedding in snowy Lake Tahoe. We found out that we were pregnant shortly...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.