Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Just Because Im Little Doesnt Mean I Cant Push a Baby Out!
mylesandme posted:
Ugh! does anyone else here that all the time ok im not the smallest person in the world but i am little 104lbs b4 pregnancy now 123 at 31 weeks. Well one of my fears is a C-section and my crazy soon to be mother in law keeps saying im gonna have to have one because im not built to have a baby!! Am I just being too sensitive?? She says it all the time and its like she's making me feel like im less of a woman because "I dont have child bearing hips" which she says all the time to everyone.. Its not like i dont have a lower half im just built small..

Take the Poll

Do you think smaller women have more trouble having babies?
  • Yes
  • No
vote
View Poll Results

sumis responded:
My Sister was alway 104 lbs and like you she was only less than 120 lbs and infact the Dr said even her pelovis is small but she had 2 healthy children weighing more than 7 lbs naturally

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Sometimes smaller women have a little more trouble if their hips are tight but we are more than okay to push a baby out if he are small. I started out at 112# and was at 152.5# when i went into labor at 37w4d. I unfortunately did have a tough time in that i went for 36 hours and then had an emergency c-section. I however had complications prior to the section like my heart rate was very high and lil mans hb kept dropping. And that type of thing. But ultimately i was like my mom in having the same result as she did. He is perfectly healthy and 2 months old as of yesterday. You can do it. Tell her to pipe down and say you will prove her wrong. Little women are strong and if we want to get something done we get it done. Don't let someone sway you thnking that you can't just because your small. Best wishes
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

tlkittycat1968 responded:
A good friend of mine is 4'10" and gave birth to a healthy girl vaginally (as far as I know). They did have to induce since she went past her due date but other than that, no complications.

mwhite80 responded:
I have know several petite ladies who had no trouble delivering vaginally. You may only run into problems if your baby is on the large side and your hips are to small for the baby to pass through. I never had a c-section but my friend who did said it was pretty simple to do and not alot of pain afterwards(you should know that my friend is a big baby when it comes to pain). So whatever ends up happening try not to worry, whatever is meant to be will happen. Good luck and please ignore your mother in law as i already said nothing is set in stone just because you are small.
Madeline(32)DH Nathan(31)-DS Paul(4), Angel baby mc @ 6weeks 8/2008, DD Isabella (15 months), New Baby Boy Mathew Charles EDD 8/25/2012

Spotlight: Member Stories

I have an 11 yr old son and i just gave birth 2/26/10 to my baby girl. (both were a little over 10lbs at birth) it was an amazing experience and i pos...More

Helpful Tips

Diapers.com
First off, I super miss this board, I "graduated" 2 months ago! I miss the excitment, so I still come back and read the posts sometimes. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.