Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
washing baby clothes
hinkle07 posted:
So I am getting everything in my baby's room ready and I was wondering if I should wash all his new clothes before he wears them. The only reason I ask this is because among all the clothes I was given from my sister in law some that her son never wore still had the tags on them. I don't mind doing laundry, I actually just bought laundry soap for babies, I just wanted to know what everyone's thought was on this.

mwhite80 responded:
I personally wash all new cloths before I wear them, due to other peopl trying them on and them being transfered from factory to wear house then they are in a dirty storage room and everyones dirty hand and bodies on them. I am not a germaphobe or anything i have just worked at retail before and know what goes on at most stores. Also babies have sensitive skin so washing them first is always a good idea and use the eminimum amount of detergent or an extra rense cycle, my son broke out from detergent residue in his cloths so i rewashed his cloths and linens and he was fine.
Madeline(32)DH Nathan(31)-DS Paul(4), Angel baby mc @ 6weeks 8/2008, DD Isabella (15 months), New Baby Boy Mathew Charles EDD 8/25/2012

hinkle07 replied to mwhite80's response:
That's what I thought with clothes being transfered and tried on and handled. And thanks for the detergent tip I have sensitive skin as it is so I will definitely use an extra rinse cycle just to be sure. Thanks

DixieBrandon responded:
You should always wash them because your baby could have an allergic reaction to the starch in new cloths or different things the cloths could have been around... Never know. Just to be on the safe side for baby I would. Good luck on your delivery coming up!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Cris (31) DH (31) 2 m/c 08 and 09. EDD 9/23/10 - its a boy!

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.