Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Mucus plug?
capriciousangel31 posted:
was just wondering what does it look like when you lose your mucus plug?
Sorry if it's tmi, but I was going to the bathroom and when I wiped I noticed a dime size chunk of discharge that was milky in color... I have never had clumps of discharge before so I am curious if I could be starting to lose my mucus plug.... I am 35 weeks

Zaysmama responded:
Hey there I knwo you read the post about all the info and how webmd describes the mucus plug but I was wondering if you have gotten any other info about it...
I am heading to the beach in jest 2 weeks and I am currently 32wks. I know that once the mucus plug is lost there is an increased risk of infection. so I was trying to find out as much detail about it as possible to make sure that I havent lost it before vacation to avoid infection to me or baby!...
If you or any one else has any type of description of the mucus plug please post!

jedmonds12 replied to Zaysmama's response:
Ugh, so gross. I lost mine with my son over the course of a few days. It was thick, stretchy, and rubbery, not like the kind that comes out of your nose when you have a cold. The color varied from whitish to clear and parts of it had bloody streaks in it (like darker red, though).

Although your cervix is opened again after losing the plug, baby is still safety contained in the amniotic sac and infection is unlikely.

If you pass blood-tinged mucus before your 36th week, call your doctor to let them know.
Julie (28), DH (35)
DS Kawika 4/25/11
Due 10/7/12 - blue team!

Zaysmama replied to jedmonds12's response:
Thank you very much! That was very helpful and I will be able to relax a little more knowing that LO will still be safe during vacation even if i lose my MP... Thanks

capriciousangel31 replied to Zaysmama's response:
mine looked like snot lol
the only way I can describe it better is ( and sorry if it's tmi )
discharge spreads its self around like if you wipe after going to the bathroom the discharge is spread on the whole piece of toilet paper where as with a mucus plug its thick and won't spread like at all ... kind of like if you have a bad cold and blow your nose thick snot doesn't spread like at all.
My doctor actually told me you can lose your plug and it will regenerate it's self though out your pregnancy the only time to really be concerned is if there is an pink or red in it because then it's your bloody show and labor is close

Zaysmama replied to capriciousangel31's response:
Well i believe I lost mine last week and it did have some darker streaks in it but that was thursday or friday and I havent had any more activity since then. Leaving on vacation tomorrow so I really hope he doesn't decide to some while I am almost 10hours away from home! Have a dr appt tomorrow mornign before we leave and I think I am going to request an internal eval just to make sure its still safe for me to be leaving!

Cowgal7083 responded:
I was told by my doc that I lost my plug around 32 weeks (I'm at 39 now) because I had bright red discharge a couple times when I wiped. Today however, after going #2 and flushing I sat there a min more because its a pain to get up. When I did stand and looked down at the toilet, I saw what could only be described as a redish brown mucus blob about the size of a siver dollar, the rest of the toilet was empty. Had my membranes stripped yesterday morning so could this be a result of that? I'm due for induction in a week, but I would rather go without the assitance of drugs (except pain meds, I want those). Any thoughts?

Zaysmama replied to Cowgal7083's response:
I have read that when the mucus plug is lost early, it can rebuild itsself as extra protection. I had a dr appt this morning and was told not to worry unless there are contractions.
I have also read that there is a difference in the mucus plug and the bloody show but I have no idea on the amt of truth of either of those findings.

Hopefully the blob you saw means that your body is one step closer to natural labor and you wont need the induction meds!...
Best of luck to you and your LO to be!

amg0926 responded:
I have lost mine at 34 weeks and 5 days. It was kind of a clearish and the dr said that it was my plug.. it was about a silver dollar but didn't have anything in it.

DixieBrandon responded:
Mine was tinged with pink when I lost mine as well. I lost mine actually a few hrs before I went into labor. It was a pretty big chunk. I was losing it for the last wk, but tiny little pieces here and there. Nothing big. This was with my last one. Nothing yet with this one.... Good luck ladies.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Met DH in 2008. Married in 2010. Expecting in 2010. Baby due in 2011. We're both very excited! 8)

Helpful Tips

Flushable moist wipes
Just thought I'd share a tip that I learned this time around. After the birth of DD1, I was given the squirt bottle to clean down there ... More
Was this Helpful?
125 of 223 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.