Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
cord blood banking
hinkle07 posted:
What is your opinion on cord blood banking? My husband and I are debating on doing it we have 1 week till I get induced and was wondering what you thought on the idea.

beckie_33 responded:
I'm not against cord blood banking and think it's a good idea if your child has problems later on or if there are health problems that run in your family. I just don't like the price you have to pay in order to do it. If It was affordable i'd probably do cord banking but there is no way I can afford it and therefore will not be savinging my baby's cord blood.

hinkle07 replied to beckie_33's response:
yeah I like how they sent me a bunch of brochures and none include a price. I figured it would be expensive and out of our price range I just wasn't sure if it was something a lot of people are doing now these days. I don't know though to me its like getting insurance on your baby if it's born with a defect it could be fixed. There wasn't anything like this when I was young. Looking at the brochures though there really isn't any kind of major health problems that run in either of our families and the things it could be useful for like brain injuries are still being studied. So I think we are not going to save. Thanks for you opinion.

Jazzy_O replied to hinkle07's response:
We saved our first born's cord blood. we paid $ 3,000 for the full 18 years. You can also do a montly payment i forgot how much it was, but it wasnt that bad. Mine and my husband's family has diabetes, both me and husband are very healthy. But out motto was " better to have it and not need it, than need it than not have it." Good luck.

rikkymeirs responded:
I've read the interesting article about cord blood banking...
http://www.healtharticles101.com/cord-blood-banking-potential-life-saver-or-marketing-trick/
It may solve your disputes)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 32yrs old. I have had a total of 5 kids but gave my 4 younger children up for adoption. I am currently on my 6th and final child and I'm k...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.