Skip to content

Announcements

Almost there! Welcome to your third trimester and your community!

Useful Things:

• See what's happening with your baby and your body — right now.
  • Get trusted WebMD information and track your baby's milestones with the WebMD Baby app for iPhone and Android.
Scheduled C-Section at 38 weeks....thoughts?
heartversushead posted:
Ok,
So now that we're in the home stretch, I went in 2.5 weeks ago for my final Ultrasound to confirm baby's head down (she is) and her growth (weighed in at 5lbs 9oz), and a nurse asked if I was having any contractions and said I was 1 week ahead of what I've been tracking myself as being. My Due date is Aug 29th, but the Dr is going out of town the weekend before and didn't want to risk me going into labor while he was gone and having to have someone I'm not familiar with delivering the baby, plus the whole reason for the C-sec is due to a bad back, so he doesn't want to risk me going into labor. By my calculations, I'm 36wks THIS week, so I'll only be 38 wks when he wants to do the C-section. I trust him, and I would rather have him than someone I meet for the first time the day of delivery, but just wondering, has this happened to anyone else, and if so, were your babies' lungs developed enough to not have to stay in the NICU? My LO has been good and healthy and strong throughout the pregnancy, no issues, no scares, and I asked point blank what about possibility of fluid in her lungs? He said he's not worried about it because I've taken good care of the both of us throughout the entire pregnancy and we're both very strong. Makes me feel good, but still concerned with them telling me all the sudden I'm a week ahead of what I've been tracking myself as being? Thoughts? Thanks!

jedmonds12 responded:
While every situation is different, for me, it would make me nervous. But I want my baby to "cook" for as long as he needs to and am planning on having another non-induced vaginal birth (like with my first son). I didn't go into labor until 41 weeks with him. But if you trust your doctor's judgement and feel more comfortable with him than another, you'll just have to take what comes. Weigh your options and talk to your doc about any specific concerns. If the benefits outweigh the risks, stick with your current plan. But if you're not convinced, is having another doctor perform the c/s really that bad? Is it worth it for the health of your baby? Good luck, and best wishes
Julie (28), DH (35)
DS Kawika 4/25/11
Due 10/7/12 - blue team!

An_242764 responded:
37 weeks is actually considered full term and your baby should be developed enough to not have to spend time in the NICU. The last few weeks are more for the baby plumping up than development.

My doctor said she'd induce me at about 37 weeks due to having GD.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Generally most babies have mature lungs between 36 and 37 weeks (though in some cases this is not true. Each baby is different). I went into labor on my own at 37w2d and after 36 hours of labor and an emergency c-section later (early morning on 37w4d) my little boy was born. Completely healthy. He is 4 months old now. He was born at 7lb 5oz and 21 inches long. So he was a good size baby for being early. My OB (well the one that delivered me...saw a few doctors during my stay since labor was so long) was expecting only a 6lb or so baby. Also, your baby may have had a growth spurt which is why your measuring ahead. It happens. Best of luck and congrats on your little one.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

heartversushead replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
I was wondering if she was measuring big, since all the sudden they skipped me ahead a week. I was 8lbs, and big babies run on my side of the Family. Not so much on DH's side. I'm small framed and have bad back problems, so the Dr didn't want to risk complications with my back in letting me go all the way 'til my due date, and given he's going on vacation the weekend before my due date, he wanted to deliver the baby at 39 wks. I'm fine with that, it's just, I was thinking this week I was only 36 wks, and they're telling me I'm at 37? He is confident the baby is strong and her lungs will be fine. So I guess maybe she did have a growth spurt? We'll find out in a couple of weeks!

nikndan13 replied to heartversushead's response:
My lil girl ( now 2 1/2 ) was delivered by c-section at 38 weeks and her lungs were mature and had no breathing problems at all . Again every baby is different but most babies lungs are mature by 37 weeks .. I would just be upfront with your OB about your concerns and let him know what you are thinking ... Best of luck to you : )

tbkittycat responded:
Both my kids were delivered via c-section at 38 weeks and never had to spend any time in NICU. DS was 19 1/2" and 7 lbs 9 oz and DD was 19 1/2" and 6 lbs 12 oz.

hgreenwood7058 replied to heartversushead's response:
I was measuring 6 days ahead generally after 21 weeks (at 8 1/2 weeks I was measuring 4 days smaller than my lmp then a day ahead of my lmp at 19 weeks and then after that I started measuring 6 days ahead over the belly). My family tends to have average sized babies. But I am small framed as well and everyone kept asking me if I was having him any day even at like 28 weeks. And one of the OBs I saw just say we look bigger cause we are petite (she was a smaller lady too) but when I was in the hospital the tech who did the BPP asked me if I was diagnosed with ges. diabetes and I said no and then he asked if i was told I was having a big baby. mmm nope lol. I was only 7lb when I was born. DH and BIL were both 7 1/2 ish lb. But hey you skipped a week hehe. When was your original due date?
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Carson Lee

sdadkin responded:
With my first son my water broke at 36w5d. I went to the hospital at around 5pm on a Monday and he wasn't born until 3:18am on Wednesday. He was born at exactly 37 weeks and his lungs were not all the way developed. He had to spend 6 days in the NICU. He was 6lbs 2oz at birth. It was terrible having to leave the hospital without him! He is 3 years old now and perfectly normal (just a little on the small side).

With my second DS I was induced at 38w6d because he was measuring big. He was born the day after the induction started and was exactly 39 weeks. He weighed 7lbs 15oz and had no problems whatsoever.

Every baby is different, but I would try and wait as long as you can before you deliver. You never know how developed your little one is.
Me (26) SO (26) Carter (7/22/09) Mason (5/03/11)

heartversushead replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Original Due Date was 29-Aug-12, but Dr is going out of town the weekend before, so he wanted to make sure he got to deliver the baby before then and know that we were ok. I worked out up through 36 wks, and he has praised me for taking good care of myself and my LO. Regular weekly checkup last week revealed I'm already 50% effaced and 1cm dilated. He said usually, it's a slow and gradual climb to active labor from that point, but said if my water broke or I started feeling contractions, just head straight to L&D and we'd still go with the C-Sec, just on DD's date, rather than the one we have set, for next week. So, hopefully she'll stay put until our scheduled C-Sec next week, but if she decides to show up early, we're prepared.

heartversushead replied to nikndan13's response:
I did let him know I was concerned about her lung development and he is confident she'll be fine by the 22nd. So I'm hoping she stays put until then! If not, well, so long as she's not under any distress, then I will just be happy to meet her that much sooner and relieved as soon as I hear she's healthy and doing fine.

hgreenwood7058 replied to heartversushead's response:
Glad your feeling more comfortable. I think your LO should be good to go as well. You are already 2 days past when I delivered my son. I started out at 1cm 50% effaced for 2 weeks (from 35 weeks on) and then my bp started going up at my 37w1d appointment so they had me go in the next day (at that point I was still 1cm 50%) the next day when all the sudden I started having contractions when I was on the monitor 3 minutes apart I went from 1cm 50% the day before to 3cm 80% or so. And then I labored forever (well not forever but 36 hours and then had the emergency c-section) at 37w4d (based on lmp. Would have been exactly 37 weeks if it was based on my 1st u/s and only 36w4d if it was based on when I thought I ovulated). I had quite a few complications (both me and lil man towards the end but all is well and he is a perfect little 4 mo now. Growing great). Keep us posted on your delivery. Good luck!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Hope it went well!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 28 years old and married to the best man in the world! I have 2 other children (Caron-10) (Quincy-6) (Keyondre) and one step son that love to dea...More

Helpful Tips

Infantino SlingRider Recalled
I just wanted everyone know that the Infantino slingrider was recalled this morning due to infant deaths. You can read the whole article at ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.